Login Register

Single blow from Alex Furniss knocked teenager unconscious in Newquay

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

Single blow from Alex Furniss knocked teenager unconscious in Newquay

A SINGLE blow knocked a 16-year-old holidaymaker unconscious on the streets of Newquay last summer, a court has been told.

Bodmin magistrates were shown CCTV footage of the incident in which the boy was attacked outside Bar Help by 20-year-old Newquay resident Alex Furniss.

Furniss, of Henver Road, was handed a curfew by the court and told to pay £150 compensation to the boy.

He had initially denied assault by beating but changed his plea to guilty on Thursday, the day on which his trial had been due to take place.

The victim had been due to give evidence via video link from Bradford Magistrates' Court.

Laura Searle, for the prosecution, said the boy had been on holiday in the resort with a group of friends and on June 25, after consuming alcohol in their hotel room, the group went out but were turned away from Bar Help due to their age.

Joking around outside, there was then a confrontation between them and a woman – Furniss's girlfriend at the time – and things "turned sour", said Ms Searle.

The woman, who was later cautioned, punched one of the boys and Furniss hit the 16-year-old victim once, causing him to fall to the ground and lose consciousness. He suffered swelling to the head and a small cut.

An independent witness, a doorman, later describing hearing Furniss "celebrating" the punch, said Ms Searle.

Robin Smith, for the defence, said police were called at 11.37pm and up until that point Furniss and his girlfriend had been enjoying a peaceful night out.

A nasty remark had allegedly been made about Furniss's girlfriend by the group and "very unwisely, and with regret, Furniss delivered the single blow", said Mr Smith.

Furniss had a previous history of drug difficulties but was now clean, and had also suffered from fragile mental health, said Mr Smith.

Chairman of the bench David Stevens, ordering a probation officer's pre-sentence report, told Furniss: "We do not condone this type of behaviour. It has been a problem in Newquay for some time."

After considering the report, the magistrates imposed a three-month curfew on Furniss, from 6pm to 6am on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, as part of a community order. He was told to pay £150 costs and a £60 victim surcharge as well as the compensation.