Login Register

Will it be third time unlucky for Pauline?

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 19, 2014

  • INJURED: Pauline Godbold suffered arm and chest injuries in her crash in the Allen Valley, between Camelford and Wadebridge, on Thursday morning – the day after the same fire crew had been called to an incident at her house in Delabole.

Comments (0)

A NORTH CORNWALL woman is praying that disasters don't come in threes after two dangerous mishaps last week.

Pauline Godbold, from Delabole, called the fire brigade to her home on Wednesday evening after the surround of her fire overheated.

And the next morning the same firemen were cutting her out of her car after she swerved to avoid a squirrel and hit a tree.

The first call came when Miss Godbold, 40, became worried that the surround of the log-burning stove in her cottage at Pengelly, Delabole, had become very hot and started to emit black smoke.

"I'm petrified of fire and I panicked and dialled 999," she said.

"The neighbours looked after my six-year-old daughter Sally and I waited outside. I live almost next door to Delabole Fire Station so they only had to come 100 yards or so. I closed the log burner so it burnt itself out by the time they arrived.

"However, the five firemen checked it over to see it was safe before they left. I couldn't sleep that night because I was paranoid about the fire starting again."

With that emergency over Pauline was to face more danger in the morning when she decided to drive to Wadebridge to buy some rhubarb plants at the Trelawny Garden Centre.

As she got close to the St Tudy turning on the A39, through the Allen Valley, she decided to turn back because of bad weather.

"I needed the plants for my allotment because I particularly like rhubarb, but it was so foggy I couldn't really see where I was going and decided to turn around and make the journey later," she explained.

"I was heading back home, concentrating hard and driving slowly because of the fog, when something came out of the hedge into the road. I swerved to avoid it and crashed the car into a tree.

"The air bag inflated, I got a couple of back eyes, and I suffered cracked ribs.

"Delabole fire brigade came, like the night before, and cut me out and rescued me. I could recognise the voices of Mark Saltern and Clive Ferguson, but I was in such a state I couldn't see them. I was taken by ambulance to hospital in Truro for treatment and didn't get home until 9pm that night.

"The police were ever so good and went to Delabole Primary School to tell my daughter, Sally, what had happened but not to worry.

"I used to be a veterinary nurse and love animals, so the terrible thing was that I ran over and killed the squirrel I was trying to avoid."

She added: "Now I haven't got a car, and I am hoping that bad news doesn't come in threes."

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters