Login Register

'Whole park' shocked by death of popular Par pensioner Barry 'Tom' Savage

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 19, 2013

'Whole park' shocked by death of popular Par pensioner Barry 'Tom' Savage
Comments (0)

TRIBUTES have been paid to a popular pensioner from St Blazey whose body was pulled from the canal on Sunday morning.

Barry Tom Savage, known to his friends as Tom, spent Saturday evening at the Railway Club in Par but never made it home to his caravan at Snowland Lesiure Park.

Staff at the caravan park said he had lived there for more than 20 years and was a polite and friendly man.

"The whole park is very shocked," said Graham Snow, director of Snowland Leisure Group.

"He was a nice guy. He would mostly keep himself to himself but would say 'hello' and have a chat when he saw you."

Mr Savage, who was 69 and had suffered from a heart condition in recent years, was described by those who knew him as a "creature of habit". He was known to visit the clubhouse at St Blazey Football Club followed by the Great Western Railway Club most evenings.

A staff member at the Railway Club, who asked not to be named, said the former chef was a friendly face to many people in the community.

"He was one of the regulars. Everyone knew him. Everyone is very shocked," she said.

She told the Cornish Guardian Mr Savage enjoyed socialising with friends at the club.

"He would come in at about 5.50pm every night – always at the same time," she said.

"He would get his pint and sit down with it but he wouldn't drink it until 6pm. He would have two pints and then he would go home." Despite being offered lifts, Mr Savage always chose to walk home each evening.

"On Saturday night I offered him a lift home," said the member of staff. "But he would never take it. Then we heard he was found in the water the next morning."

Police were called to the canal at 8.30am on Sunday morning.

A police representative said his body was pulled from the water near the level crossing and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Tony Joslin, sector inspector for St Austell, said the death is not being treated as suspicious. A post-mortem examination was due to have taken place on Monday.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters