Login Register

Ten-man Lillywhites are in seven heaven at Villa

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 20, 2013

Comments (0)


ST AUSTELL produced one of their best performances of the season to record a thrilling 7-2 win at in-form Elburton Villa on Saturday – despite ending the game with ten men.

Player-manager Dan Nancarrow has, on several occasions this season, bemoaned his side's lack of firepower. But it all came together in spectacular fashion at the weekend against third-placed Villa, who were unbeaten in six.

They led at half-time through Mike Body's stoppage time strike, before goals from Lee Whetter, Danny Carne and another from Body left their hosts stunned.

Whetter was then sent off in the 70th minute for an alleged stamp and from the resulting penalty Aaron Spear pulled a goal back for Villa.

With 80 minutes played Elburton reduced the arrears further through Michael Landricombe and a nervy finale looked likely.

But after Villa were then reduced to ten men after Ray Spear was sent off, St Austell completed an emphatic victory thanks to goals from Carne, Ben Flatley and Will Tinsley.

Saltash United had to settle for a share of the points after conceding two injury time goals at home to Cullumpton Rangers.

Having led 3-1, two late Rangers goals left Ashes' boss Stuart Dudley a frustrated man.

Matt Cusack gave Saltash a 32nd minute lead, but it proved short-lived as Cullompton were level seven minutes later when Josh Luxon fired home, despite the efforts of Ashes' goalkeeper Nathan Murphy.

Minutes after the break Saltash were back in front when Danny Zalick lifted the ball over Cullompton goalkeeper John Wannell.

Aaron Cusack added a third for Saltash in the 67th minute to put the hosts in sight of victory.

Cullompton pulled a goal back in injury time through Andy Hawkins and Joel Letoi then cruelly denied Saltash with the equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game.

Camelford weren't able to prevent in-form Liverton United from stretching their winning run to five games on Saturday.

Reg Hambly's men proved more than a match for their hosts in the first half, until falling behind in the 42nd minute. Stuart Bowker latched on to Jamie Chamberlain's pass and finished well.

Paddy Rushton had a couple of chances to equalise for Camelford, and the visitors' failure to take their chances proved costly when Stefan Chubb made sure of victory in the 88th minute with Liverton's second goal.

Launceston missed the chance to go third in the table after they were beaten 3-1 at home to Bovey Tracey.

At half time it had looked good for the Clarets, who were one goal to the good at the break thanks to Sam Davey's 30th minute penalty after Liam Tilley had been brought down.

But they were pegged back in the 65th minute when the ball fell into the path of Hayden Roe who scored from close range.

Launceston then found themselves trailing when, ten minutes from time, Jared Lewington finished well.

And Roe put the game out of Launceston's reach with his second of the afternoon.

There was still time for the hosts to be awarded a second penalty, but this time Davey was denied by Bovey Tracey goalkeeper Tom Brooks.


GODOLPHIN Atlantic opened the gap on second-placed Helston Athletic to 11 points after firing seven goals past Hayle without reply.

Derek Martin's men have now played three games more than their title rivals, but against a Hayle side who were unbeaten in four, they made sure there were no slip-ups in the race for promotion.

Following a competitive opening half hour Godolphin finally took the lead through Jamie Whigg.

Buoyed by the opener, the G-Men doubled their lead when Richard Griffin and Aiden Martin combined for Aaron Dilley to score their second goal.

Martin was involved in Godolphin's third goal when he provided the pass for Griffin to score.

With an hour played Griffin then got his name on the scoresheet to claim Godolphin's fourth goal.

A superb long range effort from Kyle Brown made it 5-0 to Godolphin and the midfielder scored his second with a close range finish.

Substitute Lee Paxton then completed an excellent afternoon for Godolphin with his side's seventh goal.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters