Login Register

Ten-goal Torpoint romp to victory over premier rivals

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 06, 2013

Comments (0)

Torpoint Athletic 10, Liskeard Athletic 0

ALTHOUGH this was a Rowett Insurance League Cup quarter-final between two premier division sides, it turned out to be a totally one-sided affair with Torpoint rattling up double figures against a Liskeard team who turned up with only nine players.

The depleted squad included two players who were carrying injuries and two who had not played many games this season.

It was not a great day for Liskeard, who had five players on first-team duty and eight others either injured, suspended or ineligible.

Dean Cardew had a field day for Torpoint, scoring five goals, including a penalty, while there were two each for Mike Roberts and Ben Applegate with an own goal completing the scoring.

Torpoint join St Teath in the semi-finals with the remaining quarter-finals being last night's clash between Elburton Villa and St Dominick while Polperro play Saltash United on February 20 in a match that has been switched to Kimberley Stadium.

MoM: Dean Cardew (Torpoint).

St Dominick 1, Millbrook 1

LEAGUE leaders Millbrook were held to a draw away to bottom of the table St Dominick and will have to improve on this performance if they are to continue challenging for the title.

Hard-working Saints belied their league position and Millbrook were indebted to goalkeeper James Hamilton for ensuring they came away with a point.

Both sets of strikers were guilty of missing opportunities, but Millbrook stepped up their game after the interval and deservedly took the lead in the 70th minute when Lee Morgan scored from a cross by Lee Wakeham.

This might have secured the three points but Saints, with Henry Speare impressive, hit back with Dean Wheeler scoring a well earned equaliser.

MoM: James Hamilton (Millbrook).

Bude Town 2, Tavistock 2

BUDE'S failure to find the finishing touch prevented them from climbing above Tavistock to third place in the table.

Twice they took the lead, but each time Tavistock hit back to equalise with three goals coming in the final ten minutes.

Billy Hopcroft's goal midway through the first half gave Bude an interval lead and it was not until the 80th minute that Nathan Ewing levelled for the visitors.

Wes Pugh had Bude back in the lead four minutes later but Craig Holt saved a point for Tavistock two minutes from the end.

Dan Starkey was sound at the back for Bude while Tavistock were indebted to Ryan Lowton for his work at central defence.

MoM: Dan Starkey (Bude Town).

Probus 4, Lanreath 1

PROBUS gained their fourth win of the season against Lanreath, who were far from happy at some of the refereeing decisions.

They were particularly upset at the dismissal of 16-year-old winger Jay Hussey for a first half challenge on Dan Vincent and were further frustrated by the award of two penalties against them.

Ironically, it was the Lanreath linesman who signalled a goal when an early effort by Michael Tindale only just appeared to cross the line. Then Alex Pearce scored the first penalty to give Probus a 2-0 interval lead.

Ray Clarke pulled one back for the visitors but Probus, who were well served by midfielder Ben Ringrose, added further goals through Pearce (penalty) and Jason Chapman.

MoM: Ben Ringrose (Probus).

Saltash United 0, Elburton Villa 0

SALTASH were held to a draw at home to Elburton in a closely contested match on a heavy pitch at Kimberley Stadium.

The Ashes, who had won their previous three matches, went close to making it four on the trot with Aaron West and Ryan Elliott going close to grabbing a goal.

New signing Scott Coombes impressed on the right wing for the Ashes and a shot from West went just wide while Elliott missed connecting at only six yards range.

Elburton, without a league win since beating Wadebridge in mid-October, finished with ten men when they had Jed Smale sent off.

MoM: Scott Coombes (Saltash).

Wadebridge Town 1, Plymouth Parkway 6

WADEBRIDGE were unable to maintain their recent improved form against championship-chasing Plymouth Parkway.

There was not a great deal to choose between the sides in the early stages, but Parkway broke the deadlock with a goal from Pete Foster midway through the first half and Dan Worth added a second before the interval.

It was largely one-way traffic in the second half with Parkway scoring further goals through Andy Harris, Worth and impressive midfielder Steve Blackburn before an own goal completed the scoring for the visitors.

Wadebridge had to be content with a late consolation goal from Connor Mewton.

MoM: Steve Blackburn (Plymouth Parkway).

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters