Login Register

Torpoint claim stunning victory

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 30, 2013

Comments (0)

TORPOINT Athletic staged an incredible second half comeback to defeat Liskeard Athletic 4-3 at The Mill.

Darren Edwards men had trailed 3-0 with an hour played after goals from Matt Hawes (2) and Robbie Almond put the Blues seemingly in command.

But despite losing manager Edwards to the stands for comments made to the officials, Darren Hicks' 72nd minute sparked Torpoint's revival.

And after Liskeard were reduced to ten men following a red card to Phil Bromhead, Paul Baker struck home Torpoint's second goal.

With the hosts now in full flow, sustained pressure led to Lewis Kershaw netting to make it 3-3.

Hicks' second goal then completed an unbelievable game with Torpoint's winner five minutes from time.

Camelford bounced back from their shock Senior Cup defeat to St Dennis seven days earlier to win 3-1 at Tavistock.

Reg Hambly's men had to come from behind after Joe Carey produced an excellent finish into the top corner for the hosts.

Patrick Rushton equalised for Camelford, before Liam Sandercock gave them the lead after cutting in and firing into the top corner.

Mark Gusterson then made sure of victory with minutes remaining when he rolled the ball home for Camelford's third.

St Blazey, who have received a seven-day approach from Plymouth Parkway for striker Lewis Coombes, were beaten 4-0 at home to Elburton Villa on Saturday.

The Green & Blacks fell behind after 35 minutes when Levi Landricombe volleyed home for Villa.

Landricombe then found Callum Martindale to slot home St Blazey's second goal of the afternoon.

And there was little the hosts could do about Villa's third goal when Aaron Spear produced a stunning finish into the top corner from 30 yards out.

Martindale then claimed his second goal to complete a miserable afternoon for Blazey.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters