NEWQUAY airport welcomed a special visitor this week – a vampire.
The de Havilland Vampire was the latest historic aircraft to move down to Newquay airport, as part of the relocation of the Classic Air Force company to the resort.
The de Havilland Vampire G-HELV T55 twin-seat trainer, with its distinctive twin boom layout, will also be the first jet-powered aircraft to arrive at the new visitor attraction, which is due to open at the end of March.
The plane was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF although it arrived too late to see combat during the Second World War.
It served with front-line RAF squadrons until 1953 and continued in use as a trainer until 1966. Almost 3,300 Vampires were built, a quarter of them under licence in other countries. The Vampire design was also developed into the de Havilland Venom fighter-bomber as well as naval Sea Vampire variants.