AN UNQUALIFIED gas fitter has been fined for putting lives at risk after he installed a boiler at a house in Newquay.
Truro Magistrates' Court heard on Friday that Guy Radford installed a new gas boiler at a property on Fairfield Place last year between May and June, trading as Radford Plumbing.
But after problems with the new boiler, the customer contacted the Gas Safe Register to check his status.
It was discovered that Radford was not registered and was working illegally. The matter was passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for investigation.
HSE found the flue outside of the property had not been properly sealed, creating the risk of poisonous carbon monoxide gas re-entering the house, and therefore posing a danger to life.
Mr Radford, of Wood View, North Hill, Launceston, admitted breaches of Regulation 3(3) and Regulation 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given a two-year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £353 in costs.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Simon Jones said: "Mr Radford was not trained to carry out the work he was asked to do and his poor standard of work put the life of his customer at risk.
"To safeguard the public from dangerous gas work, it is against the law for someone who is not Gas Safe-registered to work on gas."
Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: "Of the illegal jobs Gas Safe Register investigates, around one in five are found to be immediately dangerous, posing a threat to life.
"It's vital that if you are having gas work carried out in your home that you check that the person carrying out the work is registered. It's the law and it will help keep you and your family safe."
Gas Safe Register advises people to check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card before letting them begin work, and check the details on 0800 4085500 or online at www.gassaferegister.co.uk