Login Register

Tintagel Indian restaurant boss is helping to hunt attacker

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 08, 2012

NEW OWNER: Mohammed Farooque.

THE OWNER of an Indian restaurant in North Cornwall has said he is doing everything in his power to help police trace a former member of his staff who is accused of sexually assaulting a young girl.

Police are continuing their investigations into the alleged assault on the young teenager in the kitchen of the restaurant in Tintagel on August 18.

An Indian restaurant worker in his early twenties who is wanted for questioning left the village soon after the attack and is now believed to be in France.

The new owner of the Indian Ocean restaurant, Mohammed 'MG' Farooque, said he was disgusted by the attack, which happened before he moved back to Cornwall from Bangladesh, and concerned that local people had avoided his restaurant as a result.

"As the new owner and sole trader of the Indian Ocean Restaurant, I would like to reassure the residents of Tintagel that I have co-operated fully with police and have done everything possible to catch the perpetrator of the awful crime that occurred here," he says in a statement which he has pinned up in the window of his business.

"I have given the police all the known addresses for the suspect but I understand that he may have gone to France. I know several people there who are actively looking for him and have supplied Interpol with any haunts where he may be hiding.

"I have given police photographs of him and details of his brother in Birmingham. I understand that police are putting pressure on his brother to assist or be deported.

"I am so concerned that I have returned from Bangladesh with my wife and young family to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again."

He said he was also changing the name of his business to the Tintagel Tandoori.

"We are equally appalled at what has happened and are determined to make it up to the residents of Tintagel," said Mr Farooque, who told the Cornish Guardian that he was committed to the village and his three children, aged 11, 9 and 7, had recently started at Tintagel Primary School.

Mr Farooque, who founded the restaurant in 2006 but went back to Bangladesh with his family in 2010, said he would soon be holding a fundraising evening in aid of local charities.

Police said their investigations into the attack were continuing.

Read more from Cornish Guardian