Login Register

Matthew hanged himself the week after break-up

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 28, 2012

Comments (0)

A 19-YEAR-OLD Callington student took his own life the week after breaking up with his girlfriend, an inquest heard on Wednesday.

Matthew Tidmarsh, from Lower Coronation Terrace, had put on a shirt and tie before hanging himself in a barn 200 yards from his grandparents' house at Highfield Farm in Latchley, Gunnislake on Monday, February 6.

He had broken up with his girlfriend of six months the week before, but they had maintained contact.

Cornwall Coroner Emma Carlyon recorded a verdict of suicide.

Detective Sergeant Tim Wright, from Liskeard CID, told the inquest in Truro police found a letter on his computer entitled "Dear Diary", which said he was finding the break-up difficult.

His former girlfriend Emily Childs said in a statement: "We had a falling-out and agreed to part. Matt was keen to get back together, and I think we would have."

GP Dr Simon Chaplin said he last saw Mr Tidmarsh on August 11, 2010, who said he had felt unhappy for two years, and was affected by the break-up of his parents' marriage in 1997. Dr Chaplin referred him to Outlook South West but said he did not think Mr Tidmarsh took up the opportunity.

Mr Tidmarsh, who had a younger brother and sister, lived with his father Julian Tidmarsh for about three years, then returned to live with his mother Nicola Martin at 19.

Friends told the inquest his mother was concerned about his social drinking, and Mr Tidmarsh feared he would be kicked out.

In a statement, his mother said: "What Matt had done came as a complete and utter surprise to me. The text message Matt sent to me and John [her partner] I can't bring myself to read."

Julian Tidmarsh said he met his son for drinks at lunchtime the day before he died. "We talked about all sorts of things, like his plans for the future," he said, adding that news of his death "came as a most horrendous and complete surprise".

During a meal with friends Mr Tidmarsh took a call and afterwards seemed upset, said his friend Nigel Stephens. He asked another friend, Fiona Mutton, to take him to his grandparents' farm, but stopped off at home first to change into a shirt and tie, explaining this was what he usually wore when he visited them.

She dropped him at about 12.05am. He hugged her, said he would see her soon and told her to look after Emily.

About ten minutes later he sent long text messages to friends and family.

His uncle Kevin Martin found his body at 3pm the following day.

A post-mortem examination showed he was below the drink-driving limit.

He left Callington Community College in 2008 and was due to return to study accountancy this month.

DS Wright said after the inquest: "It's clear Matthew had a strong and loyal group of friends who offered him support and none of them saw the possibility of this happening."

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Kingdas  |  September 30 2012, 12:19AM

    Poor guy may you r.i.p mrs perfect is up there waiting for you

    |   -1
  • MissBlake  |  September 29 2012, 3:15PM

    The way this article is written is ridiculous. The way it written almost suggests it was either Emilys or Fionas fault Which anyone with a brain knows it wasnt. Do you not think these YOUNG girls find it hard enough without their names being dragged into the public eye by this apalling, false, accusing, misleading, rubbish excuse of a article? It would of been sufficient to just say the verdict was suicide. No wonder people bad mouth the press. I made a account just to voice my opinion on this matter. As a newspaper you've really let yourselves down. Well done.

    |   3