Login Register

Struggling Liskeard Athletic are hit for six at Mount Wise

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 06, 2013

  • SKIP TO IT: Liskeard skipper Lee Blatchford shields the ball from Newquay's Dave Trott. by Chris Cox.

Comments (0)

LISKEARD Athletic's dramatic downturn in fortunes this season shows no signs of easing after they were beaten 6-0 at Newquay on Saturday.

The Blues, who finished a respectable seventh last season, have won only two games in the league this term and defeat at Mount Wise at the weekend was their 18th of the season. Only Penzance, with two points all season, are keeping them off the bottom.

Newquay took only nine minutes to open the scoring when Danny Brook fired home Luke Weldhen's cross.

Josh Sims then crossed for Weldhen to head home Newquay's second, before the striker claimed his second before the break.

Brook then doubled his tally in the second half and Matt David headed home the Peppermints' fifth.

Weldhen soon completed his hat-trick to seal a comfortable win for Glynn Hooper's side.

Bodmin Town returned to league action after their FA Vase heroics to beat Bovey Tracey 4-2 at Mill Marsh Park.

Sam Matthews slotted home Bodmin's first after 20 minutes and Shane Krac added a second moments later.

Bovey pulled a goal back after the break through substitute Hayden Roe, but Town regained their two-goal advantage through Adam Carter.

But despite being reduced to ten men following Jared Lewington's dismissal, Bovey pulled a goal back when, after Town defender Tom Chambers was red carded for handball, Jamie Micklewright scored from the penalty spot.

But it was from another spot kick at the other end that Bodmin made sure of victory through Carter.

Despite the loss of prolific striker Lewis Coombes to Plymouth Parkway, St Blazey enjoyed a 3-1 win at Cullompton Rangers on Saturday.

All three of Blazey's goals arrived in the remaining four minutes of the first half, the first courtesy of a George Swain header.

A minute later Jon Hoyles fired home and Seb Broomfield completed a remarkable spell with St Blazey's third goal before half-time. There was still time before half-time for St Blazey goalkeeper Dave Painter to save a penalty from Sam Kemp.

Ash Donohue pulled a goal back for Rangers in the second half, but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation.

Torpoint Athletic claimed an impressive and much deserved point with a 2-2 draw at title-chasing Plymouth Parkway.

Lewis Coombes started for Parkway following his move from St Blazey, though he was unable to get on the scoresheet as goals from Shane White and Paul Baker ensured a share of the spoils for Darren Edwards' men.

Saltash United slumped to a 4-0 defeat at Liverton United.

It may have been a different story had Sam Hughes scored from the penalty spot, but saw his effort saved by Ben Hardy.

Liverton responded with Stefan Chubb scoring after 30 minutes and it was 2-0 moments later when Frazer Clark fired home.

And after Chubb was brought down in the box, Stuart Bowker made no mistake from the spot.

The Ashes conceded a fourth when Jordan Lamm claimed a fine individual goal.

Launceston were beaten 4-2 at home to Elburton Villa as Levi Landricombe scored all four goals for the visitors.

The striker gave Villa a 20th minute lead with a lob over Clarets' goalkeeper Dan Stevenson.

Launceston drew level early in the second half when Sam Davey scored from the penalty spot after being brought down.

And after the hosts missed a couple of opportunities they were made to pay when Landricombe made it 2-1. He then completed his hat-trick with a clever back heel.

The forward claimed his fourth goal with full time approaching, before Davey scored his second with a late consolation.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters