Login Register

Storms uncover the remains of sunken German ship

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 26, 2014

  • Revealed - the wreck of the SV Carl, sunk in 1917.

  • REVEALED: The wreck of the German sailing ship SV Carl, sunk in 1917.

  • The wreck of the German sailing ship SV Carl, sunk in 191

Comments (0)

THE severe storms in North Cornwall coast have revealed the wreck of a German ship which went down during the First World War.

The remains of the SV Carl appeared at Booby's Bay, near Trevose Head, after tonnes of sand were washed off the beach by the storms.

Pictures of it were taken by documentary film-maker Crispin Sadler, of Mallinson Sadler Productions, who is an authority on shipwrecks.

He said:" I reckon about a metre of sand has been stripped off this beach and, although I have seen some of this wreckage in the past, I have never seen so much revealed as this time.

"Its from a ship called the SV Carl, wrecked on October 7, 1917. It was a German sailing ship that was being towed to London but broke its tow. The majority of the ship was salvaged and this is all that is left, which is in remarkably good condition from being under the sand all these years."

Mr Sadler said the sand was already beginning to cover it up again. "The sand is starting to return and, even in the matter of 24 hours, parts of this wreckage are being covered up."

Many coastal communities in the area suffered storm damage, including nearby Trevone. Businesses fear it could impact on the number of tourists visiting the area.

Damage to the coastal path, debris left on beaches and the collapse of the road behind the beach are of particular concern. There is now only one road in and out of Trevone, and if that becomes blocked, there is no other access for vehicles.

Local MP and Floods Minister, Dan Rogerson, met with local councillors last week to discuss a way forward. He said:"Cornwall Council's leadership is working flat out to respond to the crisis, and I have been working in government to make sure that the council has the resources it needs to get the work done.

"Villagers in Trevone are understandably concerned about the impact on businesses, tourism and on access to their community, as the second road in and out of the village has been cut off.

"I will be working with local people to make sure that Trevone isn't forgotten about and to see what can be done to get repair works under way as soon as possible – but this is likely to take time given the scale of the damage and the need for it to be properly assessed and repaired," he said.

"Despite the damage that has occurred, Trevone is open for business and I am urging everyone to support the Cornish tourist industry in the coming season."

For more on the storms, see page 20.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES