Login Register

St Austell grassroots - October 26

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 26, 2012

SAILING: youngsters from Fowey Gallant Sailing Club, title winners for the fifth successive year.

Comments (0)



Young sailors from Fowey Gallants Sailing Club (FGSC) have, for the fifth year running, won the RYA OnBoard Feva Frenzy inter-club team racing competition, which took place at Stithians Lake Watersports Centre.

The Fowey Flounders beat their own team mates, the Gallants Gladiators, who were runners-up.

Forty Cornish sailors aged between 10 and 16 came from five different sailing clubs to compete in this end-of-season event, which was a two-boat team racing contest for youngsters who had learnt to sail through the RYA OnBoard scheme that introduces children of all backgrounds and abilities to sailing and windsurfing.

Winning all of their first round races, the Gallants Gladiators and the Fowey Flounders went head to head in the final.

OnBoard Development Officer Mark Belshaw said: "The contest for the grand final went to the wire, all level with one win each going into the final race, with the boats closely bunched as they approached the final turning mark to the finish.

"It was still anybody's race. In the hectic final mark rounding a slip led to a quick swim for Gladiators sailors Callum Pritchard and April Halls.

"As they floundered back into their boat, their team mates Charlie Nunn and Amelia Luck could only look on as the real life Flounders, Paddy Scullion and Adam Cocks and Edward Stables and Jake Penprase snuck away to take the race win and with it the title."

The other teams in the competition were from Penzance Sailing Club, St Mawes Sailing Club, Stithians WAVES Club and Camel Estuary Youth Sailing.

Mark added: "Well done to Fowey Gallants for retaining their title, they sailed very well against some stiff competition. Team racing is a very different discipline to the fleet racing we generally practice throughout the season.

"A big thanks to Stithians Lake for hosting the event, and to all the parents, volunteers and helpers who assisted on and off the water during the day.

"I'm sure Fowey Gallants will be back guns blazing next year to defend their title, but I'm equally sure that the teams from the other clubs will be just as keen to snatch a victory and take the trophy back to their home club."

Run by the RYA, OnBoard is a grass roots programme which introduces sailing and windsurfing to young people aged 8 to 18, through schools, youth groups and training centres.

Over a ten year period OnBoard aims to introduce a minimum of 500,000 children to sailing and windsurfing in the UK, converting more than 10 per cent of them into regular participants.

For more information about how to get involved in sailing visit the RYA's website www.rya.org.uk or the OnBoard website www.ruob.co.uk

Six-a-side Football


The Premiership

Sabma Boys 0 Hotshots 0

Bottom of the table Hotshots faced Sabma Boys in this tightly contested game. Neither side could find the breakthrough in the first half thanks to some good defending and poor finishing from both teams.

After half time the game opened up as both teams went out in search of a winner.

Carpeteers 2 A Team 1

Carpeteers faced league winners A Team who could afford to take it easy in their last couple of games.

A Team took the lead early on thanks to a low strike into the corner from Martin Sleeman. Shaun Hicks soon equalised for Carpeteers and the score stayed 1-1 at the end of the half.

In the second half Carpeteers got off to the quickest start as Craig Phillips gave them the lead with a curling shot.

Kernow Rebels 1 City Boys 0

Kernow Rebels started the brighter of these two teams as they took an early lead through Derek Lucas who fired the ball into the top corner.

That was the only action of a tightly contested first half. After half time the game opened up but there were no more goals.

Carpeteers 0 Chenpump 2

Carpeteers were riding high from their win against the league champions as they faced Chenpump.

However Chenpump looked to exploit the tiredness in the team and they did that early on as Adrian Rundle gave Chenpump the lead.

After half time Adrian Rundle scored his second of the game with a low drilled shot into the corner.


Parskide Garage 2 Pioneers 3

James Cutlan got Pioneers off to the perfect start in this game with a well placed shot into the corner.

That was one of very few chances in a tight first half. After half time James Cutlan scored his second of the game before Chris Retallick got a goal back for Parkside Garage.

James Triggs the restored Pioneers' two goal advantage with a high shot past the keeper.

Chris Retallick then scored his second of the game to give Parkside Garage a chance of getting something from the game but Pioneers held on for the win.

Deportivo 0 Tywardreath 4

Deportivo were looking to string a few positive results together to end the season on a high but were up against a strong Tywardreath side.

Scott Buckley gave Tywardreath the lead midway through the half with a low finish under the keeper. After half time Scott Buckley scored his second of the game before Mike Pound Ping made it 3-0.

Dan Sackey rounded off the win for Tywardreath with a goal just before full time.

Sons of Pitches 2 Real Sosobad 2

League leaders Real Sosobad took on Sons of Pitches in this game, where Sons of Pitches took the lead thanks to a goal from Shaun Baron.

After half time Real Sosobad equalised thanks to a low shot from Craig Phillips. Real Sosobad then took the lead thanks to a goal from Steve Heap.

Shaun Baron then equalised for Sons of Pitches with a high strike past the keeper.

Young Gunz 1 Keith FC 2

Keith FC could close the gap on Real Sosobad with a win against Young Gunz. Luke Craze gave them an early lead with a curling shot into the corner.

Eliah O'Brien then doubled the lead for Keith with a high shot past the keeper. After half time Young Gunz got themselves back into the game with a goal from Dan Vine.


Cool Runnings 0 Dench Juniors 2

Dench Juniors took the lead midway through the first half thanks to a low, powerful strike into the bottom corner from Brian Walkham.

In the second half the game opened up as both teams went on the attack. Dench Juniors made the most of it as Ben Willetts doubled Dench Juniors' lead with a low finish under the keeper.

Big Heads 1 Team Bring It 4

Big Heads looked to continue their fight for survival with a result against Team Bring It, but they weren't just going to roll over.

Team Bring It took the lead midway through the first half thanks to a goal from Scott Laughton.

After half time Scott Laughton scored his second of the game before Jamie Chaplin got a goal back for Big Heads. Joe Profit soon restored Team Bring It's two goal advantage before scoring his second of the game.

Whichway 0 Bogtrotters 5

League champions Bogtrotters faced struggling Whichway in this game and got off to a great start as Tom Hicks gave them an early lead.

Joss Martin then doubled their advantage midway through the half. After half time James Bragg made it 3-0 before he slid the ball under the keeper to make it 4-0.

Whichway looked to at least get a goal back but James Bragg completed his hat-trick with a curling shot into the top corner.

Cobras 0 One Direction 4

Second place Cobras took on mid table One Direction in this one sided game. A. Scott gave One Direction the lead with a low strike into the corner before Jason Wellbeck made it 2-0.

In the second half C. Trenoweth made it 3-0 with a high shot past the keeper. Cobras showed no signs of mounting a comeback as One Direction sealed the win with A. Scott's second goal of the game.

Serie A

SMG 5 Niles Bakery 0

SMG got off to a great start in this game as Sam Blount fired the ball across the keeper and into the corner. Eliah O'Brien then doubled SMG's advantage with a high shot into the corner.

After half time Eliah O'Brien scored his second of the game before Sam Blount also scored his second of the game.

Niles Bakery tried to get the ball forward but SMG kept attacking and Sam Blount completed his hat-trick just before full time.

The Originals 0 Boyzone 6

Newly formed Boyzone took on The Originals in this game. J. Phillips gave Boyzone an early lead before A. Ahearne made it 2-0.

J Phillips then scored his second of the game with a low strike past the keeper. After half time S Rowe made it 4-0 before R Hayes slid the ball under the keeper to make it 5-0.

S Rowe then rounded off the win with a curling shot into the corner.

Monster Inkz 0 Bin Dippers 3

Second played first in this game, but the league championship had already been sewn up by Bin Dippers so Monster Inkz were trying to cement second place.

Chris Kilbey gave Bin Dippers the lead midway through the first half. He then scored his second with a low strike into the corner.

After half time Bin Dippers kept up the attack on the Monster Inkz goal and Chris Kilbey completed his hat-trick with a powerful free-kick into the corner.

Monster Inkz tried to get a goal back but the Bin Dippers defence held on for the clean sheet.

Mean Machine 2 Wunder Boys 1

Wunder Boys had a chance to put pressure on Monster Inkz in second place with a win over Mean Machine who were not going to be pushed over.

Mean Machine took the lead thanks to a goal from R Richards. After half time Wunder Boys equalised through Gary Reynolds but S Waddell restored Mean Machine's lead.



The results for the past week are as follows:

Competitions. Sunday 14th October – Juniors 18 Hole Stableford: 1 Levi Richards 42pts; 2 Hayden Thornton 35; 3 Ricardo Sanchez 34.

Tuesday October 16 – Seniors - Cornwall v Rest of World Match plus individual Stableford: The Rest of the World beat Cornwall by a narrow margin. Individual scores: 1 Peter Allen 37 pts c/b; 2 Peter Williams 37; 3 Terry Coplin 36.

Thursday October 18 – Ladies Jubilee Plate: 1 Claire Waters 36pts; 2 Jane White 33 c/b; 3 Rosie Hosken 33.

Saturday October 20 – Men's Better Ball Stableford: 1 Simon Bertho & Shaun Harvey 42pts; 2 Alan Plester & Alan Whale 41pts c/b; 3 Derek Loader & Chris Maggs 41.

Sunday October 21 – Mixed Competition (9 holes foursomes, 9 holes Greensomes): 1 Jackie Nile & Kevin Metherell 43; 2 Sue Pascoe & Chris Maggs 38.

Matches. Wednesday October 17 – Seniors v China Fleet away, lost 5-3 but win on aggregate 10-6.

Friday October 19 – Seniors v Merlin away, won 6-2.

Saturday October 20 – Presidents Cup final, 36 holes matchplay: Dave Kitt beat Dan Olver, 1 up.

Saturday October 20 – St Austell Cornwall Bowl Team beat Falmouth at Truro 3-2.


The Seniors' home match against Lostwithiel on Friday resulted in a win for the visitors by 4½-3½.

Winning Porthpean pairs were Biff Griffin and Mike Lyons 4 & 2, Graham Stanaway and Derek Way 6 & 5 and Ken Rowe and Mike Tennant 4 & 2 with John Berryman and Cyril Crabb contributing the half.

Other club results. Sun Oct 14. Ladies 2nd October Medal: 1 Gill. Smith, gross 85, net 71; 2 Ann Bailey 98-72; 3 Samantha Harris 114-78.

Stableford – full h/c: Overall winner, Chris Miller 42pts. Div 1: 1 Tom Anstis 38; 2 Lee Fox 37; 3 Adam Tonkin 35. Div 2: 1 Kenneth Rowe 39; 2 Neil Goodwin 39; 3 Andrew Yates 38.

Wed Oct 17. Captains Evening – Stableford (9 holes): 1 Steve Arthur 22pts; 2 Preston Ford 21; 3 Alan Plaice 20.

Ladies Oct s/f: 1 Nettie Ewings 28pts; 2 Bev Sullivan 26; 3 Ann Mee 26.

Sat Oct 20. Winter Mixed Greensomes (14 holes): 1 Nettie Ewings & John McFall 27pts; 2 Toni Nash & Terry Ralph 26; 3 Julie Bradbury & Dave Patrick 26.

Sun Oct 21. Spot on Cabs Stableford – full h/c: overall winner, Dan Dunstan 42pts. Div 1: 1 Tom Anstis 42; 2 Mike Marchant 40; 3 Ray Nicholls 39. Div 2: 1 G M Hall 41; 2 Len Barrett 39; 3 Vince Averill 37.

Women's Football


Charlestown Ladies travelled to Callington looking for their first points of the season in the South West Women's League on Sunday and after 20 minutes looked like being on the losing end again when they found themselves 2-0 behind.

The visitors slowly found momentum gaining a foothold in the game and finished the half strongly but their hosts could have had a 3-0 half time cushion but keeper Brogan O'Brien pulled off a terrific point blank save.

Charlestown took the game to Callington after the break and for long periods dominated proceedings and when Dani Hay found the net Callington were desperately trying to find a way to steady the ship.

Lucy Rothero was causing all sorts of problems down the right wing linking well with Emily Grose who along with Erin Licursi was outstanding in the centre of the park for Charlestown.

It was another fine delivery by Rothero which Charlestown drew level from when Lauren Hoskin arrived late at the far post to guide the ball past the keeper with 75 minutes gone.

Dani Hay had a chance to grab all three points when she was bundled over in the box but watched agonisingly as her spot kick was frantically gathered by the Callington keeper.

Star player for Charlestown was Lauren Hoskin who put in a sterling display full of effort and determination.

Sunday Football


Despite their league struggles St Breward took control of a Cornwall Sunday League Shield first round tie, beating Galleon 6-1 at home.

Both sides entered the game without a win all season but St Breward took advantage of a generous away defence to record their biggest win since returning to the Cornwall Sunday Football League, Martin Jago scoring four.

Luxulyan slipped to their first defeat of the season as they fell at the first hurdle to last season's losing finalists Lostwithiel.

The home side's impressive CV this season has seen them defeat all the top three sides in Luxulyan, Blue Anchor and Packhorse.

There was a St Austell v St Blazey clash at Par as holders Carlyon Arms faced Packhorse with holders the Sandy defeating a spirited Horse side 5-3.

Birthday boy Liam Turner in the Packhorse goal got a card of the wrong sort in the final minute, his red and the resulting converted penalty by Chris Dingle sealed the win for Ian Campbell's unbeaten side.



An Easterly wind always spells trouble for those sailing at Porthpean, and on this Sunday it was combined with a high tide, which meant large waves dumping on the beach.

Nevertheless most competitors launched without too much difficulty. Chris Hazell and Tony Dunn, however, had their rudder knocked off and were swamped with water and seaweed.

Despite the forecast, the wind was actually too light for such a lumpy sea.

The Handicap fleet was graced with a sparkling new Scorpion belonging to Steve Mitchell and Polly Newman, and in their first outing they finished just one minute behind Richard Armstrong' Contender.

Once the handicap had been applied however, the gap widened to give Richard the win by nine minutes.

Three Scorpions were racing, but the other two boats finished at the back of the fleet.

A surprising number of boats experienced rudder problems. Sarah Kendall's Scorpion failed to finish with this problem, and two youngster sailing an RS Vago lost their rudder completely and spent a good 15 minutes sitting on their upturned hull, waiting for rescue.

Chris Hazell and Tony Dunn also had further rudder problems throughout the race, missing the start by several minutes and giving an easy win to the only other Tasar racing. This was sailed by Lionel Rigby and Ken Fobbester.

With the tide still high and the swell building. Most sailors approached the beach with some trepidation. In the event, and with a great deal of mutual assistance, everyone made it safely back to shore.

A straw poll of competitors indicated a lack of enthusiasm for braving these waves again, and so the afternoon race was cancelled.

Handicap fleet: 1 Richard Armstrong (Contender); 2 Steve Mitchell and Polly Newman (Scorpion); 3 Simon Robbins Supernova.

Tasar fleet: 1 Lionel Rigby and Ken Fobbester; 2 Chris Hazell and Tony Dunn.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters