Login Register

Sport: Cornwall round-up December 4

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 04, 2013

  • HOCKEY: Newquay Ladies first team. Back row, from left: Jenna Paull, Rachel Brannlund, Zoe Waitz, Sam Munn (capt), Leanne Manley (vice capt), Helen Stubbs, Annie Lobb, Mandy Langdon, Lora Millward, Sarah Rendell. Front row: Bethan Ingram, Robyn Keen, Mandy Peter (GK), Shona Harris and Andreya Bennett.

  • MAC THE KNIFE: McKenzie breaks clear on the way to scoring a try for Newquay Hornets Under 10's on Sunday. by Pete Youngman.

  • BATTLERS: Newquay Hornets U9s won again, despite having only eight players due to injury and holidays. In a triangular fixture they beat Redruth 7-4 and Hayle 5-4. Player of match was Joshua Golden Clarke.

Comments (0)

Women's Hockey


Newquay Ladies 3 Bude 0

In their final league Premier Division 2B game before the mid-season break, Newquay finished the first half of the season with a cracking 3-0 win against Cornish rivals Bude.

Helen Stubbs scored twice and Robyn Keen added the other.

Newquay had a stronger side than the previous week but wree still far from full strength.

They had the run of the first half, with the midfield taking control.

The deadlock was eventually broken after a long spell of Newquay possession when a ball from Andreya Bennett found Jenna Paull who whipped it across the D for Helen Stubbs to control and finish with precision.

Newquay's second goal came from a quick counter attack. Robyn Keen received the ball on the edge of the D and slammed it into the corner of the goal beyond Bude's onrushing goal keeper.

The second 35 minutes of play was more even as Bude began to attack with intent. Sarah Rendell doing a fine job holding centre back position as due to an ankle injury sustained last week captain Sam Munn remained on the sidelines throughout the match.

Newquay's third and final goal of the match came from a well-practiced short corner routine, Stubbs with the final touch into the goal.

Bude showed that they were not down and out but a string of solid saves from joint man of the match Mandy Peter in goal ensured a clean sheet as they ended the year in sixth place.

Atlantic Fitness players of the Match: Mandy Peter & Sarah Rendell.

Cross Country


The Brooks Westward League reached the midway point on Sunday with the third cross country fixture at Exeter, incorporating the Devon Championships, writes Dave Varney.

Being located centrally to the region always attracts many more athletes and none more so than the two Senior races where the combined Women's and Under 17 men's total was well over 100 and the Men's event saw over 180 cross the finish line.

In both races, the club saw an impressive turnout thanks to the agreements with Newquay Road Runners and the St Austell Running Club where their athletes are competing in the burgundy and white vests for cross country.

For the Newquay & Par athletes, several are well in contention for individual and team awards including the club's only 100 per cent points leader, Sharon Coyne.

She made it a hat trick of wins in the W45 veteran age group and led the Veterans' team to a joint second on the day which kept them well on top of the leader board.

Paul Wright is another leading age group contender, finishing second in the M60 category on the day and first overall.

Elowen Penfold led the Under 13 race until the last 100m sprint to the line where she was overtaken by a North Devon athlete but still maintains her top position.

North Devon fielded some strong teams and dominated the younger age groups. They pushed the Newquay & Par girls into second place by 2 points but the Cornish team still lead the table by 90 points over the club's B team.

However, with the younger age groups able to count their best four scores from six, this could all change by March. The under 13 Boys team missed league leader Finn Birnie, who had competed at Southend the day before for Truro School in the National Finals of the Schools Cup where he took the Gold medal.

He can still take the league title with two more wins in the final three fixtures. The team slipped off the top with third on the day but only by four points behind Cornwall AC. James Greenwood led the team at fifth.

The under 15 Girls team held on to their third place overall with Ami Brown overtaking team mate, Jasmine Gray as they approached the finish. Club positions:

Senior Men: 22 Mike Birchmore; 30 Hobie Martin; 39 Callum Roberts; 52 Alex Daniels; 55 Kieran Rowe; 108 Jack Wightman; 121 Wayne Glanville; 123 Paul Wright; 124 Phil Ciano; 138 Darren Squires; 150 Dave Wooldridge; 153 Geoff Harris; 154 Chris Phillips; 161 John Horton; 164 Jay Hill; 168 Kevin Burnett.

Senior Women: 22 Sharon Coyne; 31 Sandra Toher; 32 Louise Gore; 49 Sarah Myford; 50 Kathie Elliott; 52 Collette Clements; 65 Rachel Builder; 79 Sarah Hill; 80; Lesley McClaren.

Under 17 Men: 17 Josh Taphouse.

Under 15 Boys: 16 Sam Bray.

Under 15 Girls: 13 Ami Brown; 14 Jasmine Gray; 23 Lieacha Cundy; 28 Rachel Howe.

Under 13 Boys: 5 James Greeenwood; 13 Tom Randles; 16 Charlie Parker; 28 Morgan Squires; 30 William Wright.

Under 13 Girls: 2 Elowen Penfold; 6 Rhianna Giles; 12 Danielle Rawson; 14 Quinta Carlyon; 16 Jodie Greenwood; 24 Lylie Douglas.

Under 11 Boys: 5 Si-am Juntakereket.

Under 11 Girls: 2 Chloe Pettitt; 6 Daisy Greenwood; 7 Jessica Spry.



Bude 7, Truro 51

Any thoughts that Bude had entertained of gaining revenge for their first round defeat in the Tribute Cornwall Knockout Cup at the hands of Saturday's visitors Truro were dashed in 30 minutes of stunning rugby as the city side posted six scintillating tries to match the weather at Bencoolen Meadow.

This loss leaves the Seasiders firmly rooted in the relegation places in Western Counties West and with two successive away trips in the lead up to Christmas and high-flying Kingsbridge first up this Saturday, followed by Devonport Services, things are set to get even tougher for the North Cornish side.

On a gloriously sunny late Autumn afternoon, with conditions firm underfoot and a large expectant crowd and many making the trip up from the Cathedral city to support the visitors, they were treated to a turgid first half where neither side seemed capable of putting on any kind of show.

The visitors had broken the deadlock early on when their full back Tom Hatfield hacked through a loose ball and won the foot race to touch down for the opening score, but his fly half Jake Champion struck an upright with his conversion attempt as the extras went begging.

Bude rallied strongly and with their pack making some powerful surges in the loose, Truro quickly got on the wrong side of the referee as they conceded a string of penalties at the breakdown.

This early pressure seemed to create some gung-ho over confidence on the part of the hosts as they spurned two kickable chances at goal in the first quarter, the second in front of the sticks and barely 10 metres out.

Instead, they opted to run the first penalty and kicked the second to touch, promptly losing the ball on each occasion.

It wasn't the smartest few minutes of rugby by the home side and couldn't have helped their confidence in the second half when the visitors began to rack up the points and Bude's side of the scoreboard remained firm stuck on nought.

Just before break the Seasiders did have another chance to open their account as they attacked with pace up the right touchline, but, with the try line beckoning, a marginally forward pass to second row Luke Dunkin caught the official's eyes and the score was chalked off.

Apart from that the only excitement of the half was an ugly mass brawl just beyond the half hour mark, after earlier simmering niggle had ignited which did little credit to either side and probably should have earned more than just a stiff lecture.

However, thankfully, order was quickly restored and perhaps it cleansed the players' systems.

The second period was an altogether more sparkling affair, but, sadly for the home supporters it wasn't their side that provided the fireworks.

Truro's five point lead at the turn around was quickly stretched into double figures as Champion slotted a brace of penalty goals. Then, from the restart, a long range attack by the visitors broke through some pretty ineffective tackling and resulting in right wing Luke Tidball rounding to touch down under the posts.

Champion converted and in the 53rd minute the fly half finished off a slick handing move before adding the extras to take his side out of sight at 25-0.

Finally, just before the hour mark, Bude broke their duck as hooker Jason Bolt made good ground before releasing left wing Silas Keeling some 30 metres out.

He had it all to do, but showing excellent pace, footwork and strength brushed off a couple of attempted tackles before touching down to the left of the posts. Full back Olly Denford added the extras and perhaps all was not lost for the home side.

However, almost immediately Bude's defence was ripped apart and Champion was put in for his second try which secured the try scoring bonus point for the visitors and then slotted his conversion for good measure.

With 10 minutes remaining, Keeling was forced to impede Truro's outside centre Karl Ranscombe in a kick and chase to the line and Mr Moir had little option other than to award a penalty try, which Champion converted with ease.

As they came under the cosh, Bude's pack lost a ball against the head at a scrum deep in their 22 and showing quick hands and with their confidence visibly rising, the visitors put right wing Tidball in for his second try of the game.

Then, with the final play, with the Seasiders pressing strongly for a consolation score from a drive maul, the ball the stolen away under the shadow of the visitors' own posts, Truro raced off at pace and some 90 metres later Tidball dived in under the posts to claim his hat-trick.

And, as if to rub salt into the hosts' wounds, Champion brought up the half century of points for his side and a personal haul of 26 points with the last kick of the game.

Bude: Olly Denford, Olly Mounce, Duncan Tout, Ryan Butler, Silas Keeling, Andy Yates, Steve Yates, Adam Black (Matt Williams), Jason Bolt, Jake Keat, Will Kingdon, Luke Dunkin, Ben Hancock, Richie Herzog, James Comber (Capt.) (Mark Parsons).

Scorers: Bude: Silas Keeling (Try), Olly Denford (Conversion). Truro: Luke Tidball 3, Tom Hatfield (Tries), Penalty try, Jake Champion (2 Tries, 5 Conversions and 2 Penalty goals).

U10 Rugby

Match 1: Newquay Hornets 5 Redruth 30:

Match 2: Hornets 10 Hayle 20

This double header was played on a cold grey December day which seemingly matched the Hornets performance.

After going the season so far without a loss it was inevitable that the U10s would run out of steam and lose a match or two.

A bad day at the office it might have been but the spectators admired the Redruth discipline and in particular the art of passing the ball along the width of the pitch time after time.

In the opening encounter the young Hornets did not demonstrate the ruck and maul technique enough to keep Redruth at bay and they pounced on lost possession to score three quick first half tries.

However, there were notable displays from Harry Youngman who did ruck over well and tackled twice defending the Hornets line to stop Redruth from completing a rout.

Jack Jenkinson consistently rucked well whilst Jared Williams, Will Blatchford and Monty Bayley-Skinner put in some good tackles. In the second period and with fresh faces, Matthew Pollard at scrum half fed a good ball along the line but was let down by some clumsy handling which Redruth lapped up to widen the deficit.

The highlight of this match though was watching Mackenzie Cooke power his way through from the half-way line and outpace the visitors to notch up the Hornets only score of the game.

In match two with Hayle, the two teams were more evenly matched for most of the first half until Hayle pushed over to open the scoring and then the elementary mistakes made in match one crept back into this game which allowed Hayle to quickly lead 20-0.

However the Hornets redeemed themselves with some strong running and both James Lock and Kai Bentley scored in swift succession to narrow the gap but there wasn't enough time left to at least level the game and Hayle ran out easy winners.

There were some good performances during the matches, but the Hornets were definitely off their game. Tabitha Harbottle had another great game, Harvey Henwood and Korben Whitehouse put in some strong tackles and Lloyd Cornes was one of the few to ruck the ball successfully.

Leon Gerrard had a couple of good runs fed by the impressive Matthew Pollard and Connor Soltys continued his great improvement with a try-saving tackle into touch.

Good runs from the restart were shown by Matthew Barker, Dylan Orchard and Josh Pownall, and Jacob Lamboll had a couple of his usual mazy runs.

Both Matthew Pollard and Jack Jenkinson were mentioned in despatches as Players of the Match, for their terrific efforts in trying to get the Hornets to play, but the team went away knowing it was just one of those days.

U7 Rugby


Newquay U7's played host to both Redruth and Hayle on the astro pitch at Newquay sports centre on Sunday.

All of the clubs had large squads which resulted in a fun and furious tournament atmosphere for the young players and their supporters.

The Hornets split their players into three equal teams mixing experienced members with children who had never played before, encouraging the youngsters to help and support their team mates.

Newquay excelled at running with the ball, supporting the ball handler at all times and organising a strong defensive line, these skills allowed them to dominate Hayle and match the mighty force of Redruth.

The U7's are learning fast and are really starting to show a good understanding of the rugby basics. The coaches awarded the Player Of The Match trophy to the whole squad for demonstrating a great team spirit and a willingness to listen and learn.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters