Login Register

Son took his own life after mother's death

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 12, 2012

Comments (0)

A GRIEVEING Par man hanged himself three days before his mother's funeral was due to take place, an inquest heard.

Michael Warner – also called Jack by friends – was known to have battled with an alcohol problem leading up to his death.

He was found hanging from the banister at his friend Rodney Cannon's house in North Street, Tywardreath, on May 6 this year.

The inquest at Truro Coroners' Court on Friday, heard that he had been over the legal drink-driving limit at the time. His mother had passed away on April 17 as the result of a blood clot. Her funeral was due to be held on May 8.

The 54-year-old retired heavy goods vehicle driver, who attended Tywardreath Primary School and Fowey Community College, lived at home in Tredenham Close, Par, with his parents until about the age of 25.

He then moved to Australia with Mr Cannon, where he married an Australian woman and they had three children together – now aged 20-27.

But their marriage broke down around 1997. The inquest heard that Mr Warner's drink issues contributed to this. He moved back to Par in April 2011 and was referred for drink counselling by his GP.

"I think he was too far gone," his father Terrance Warner said at the inquest.

The court heard that he had threatened to take his own life in the past and was on medication for depression.

Mr Cannon told the inquest Mr Warner had also previously gone missing for a few days, and had been sleeping in a cemetery.

"He was quite depressed and unhappy with his life," Mr Cannon told the inquest.

The evening before he was found dead, Mr Warner went to the New Inn in Tywardreath and then to Mr Cannon's house, but his friend told the inquest Mr Warner only drank soft drinks.

Mr Cannon, who had known Mr Warner since college, said they went to bed at about 1.30am – Mr Warner in the spare room.

He found Mr Warner – hanging from the banister at about 8.15am – and immediately dialled 999.

Coroner for Cornwall Dr Emma Carlyon concluded that Mr Warner took his own life.

After the inquest, Mr Cannon fondly remembered his friend as a "fun-loving guy" in better days.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters