Login Register

Rickard double as St Dennis stun Seagulls

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

Comments (0)

LEE Rickard scored twice as St Dennis claimed a memorable 4-1 victory over Mousehole to end the league leaders' record-breaking start to the season.

The Seagulls went into Saturday's division one west fixture on the back of 15 straight wins.

However, a brace from Rickard and goals from Scott Hill and Jacob Rowe ensured one of the shock results of the season at Boscawen Park.

The Saints took a 15th minute lead in spectacular fashion when Rickard's overhead kick flew into the top corner.

Mousehole drew level after 30 minutes when Wade Brown lobbed the ball over St Dennis goalkeeper Brett Allen.

The home side regained the lead in the 55th minute when Rickard volleyed home Hill's cross.

Ten minutes later Hill got on the scoresheet when he converted Martin Sleeman's cross.

And Rowe completed a thrilling win for the Saints when he grabbed his side's fourth goal with a close range finish from Adam Gamble's cut back.

There was late drama at Burngullow Park as Wadebrdge Town fought back from two goals down to earn a draw against Sticker.

It was the dismissal of Sticker defender Bradley Ralph after 35 minutes that proved the turning point.

Sticker were leading 2-0 following goals from Jason Rogers and Jake Street, before the hosts were reduced to ten men when Ralph was red carded after receiving his second yellow card.

Andy Avery's men looked on course to claim victory, despite playing the remaining 55 minutes with ten men, before a goal in the 88th minute from Charlie Barnes gave the Bridgers a glimmer of hope.

And after Barnes was fouled in the box by Sticker goalkeeper Ryan Holland in the fourth minute of stoppage time, the experienced Luke Hodge stepped up to earn Wadebridge a dramatic point.

Bude Town moved off the foot of the table after claiming a hard-fought draw at Vospers Oak Villa.

Bude moved above Foxhole Stars and Holsworthy thanks to Harry Hopcroft's second half equaliser.

They had fallen behind to Steve Blackburn's 40th minute strike, before Hopcroft came close to equalising when his effort before half-time was tipped away by goalkeeper Ian Evans.

Hopcroft did have the beating of Evans in the second half when, on the hour mark, his shot crept in past the Vospers' custodian to earn Bude a point.

Callington Town came from behind to beat Penryn Athletic 3-2 and move level on points with third-placed Helston Athletic.

Town trailed on 16 minutes when Dale Band fired home Sean Johnston's cross, before levelling after 22 minutes when Carlton Farnham found the net at the far post.

And three minutes later Callington took the lead as Steve Kidd drove the ball home.

Mike Lucas then struck in the 55th minute to put Callington 3-1 up.

Kevin Lawrence pulled a goal back for Penryn, but Callington held on to go fourth in the table.

Dobwalls scored all of their goals in the first half as they enjoyed a 4-1 victory at home to a struggling Holsworthy side that slipped to the bottom of the table after this result at Lantoom Park.

Martin Hake headed them into an early lead when he headed home from close range after Sean Jones' strike came back off the bar.

Shaun Bonney then sent a firm header into the back of the net from Simon Skews' corner to double Dobwalls' lead in the 25th minute.

Jack Bartlett then curled home brilliantly to make it 3-0 to the hosts, before Nick Aplin pulled a goal back in the 36th minute for Holsworthy.

Another Skews corner caused problems in the North Devon side's defence as Steve Tapper headed in before the break.

With the game effectively won in the first half, the second 45 minutes provided little incident as Dobwalls claimed a deserved victory.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters