Login Register

Restaurant saved as fire breaks out

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 18, 2013

By Name

  • The Waterfront at Polzeath which narrowly escaped a major fire.

  • GUTTED: Above, the laundry room at The Waterfront in Polzeath, that was gutted by fire on Tuesday.

Comments (0)

FIREFIGHTERS saved a restaurant and bar on the North Cornwall coast from being destroyed after a blaze broke out in its laundry room.

More than 20 members of Cornwall Fire and Rescue attended the incident at the Waterfront in Polzeath last Tuesday.

The cause of the fire at the pub – one of PM David Cameron's favourites – is not being treated as suspicious.

Firefighters praised the actions of staff who managed to isolate the fire, and of local delivery driver Tim Marshall for raising the alarm after he saw smoke coming from the building.

The premises lost its telephone connections and was forced to close for a few days, but was back in business on Saturday.

Waterfront owner Jamie Yoki said the whole building could have been destroyed if it were not for the quick thinking of his staff.

"I'd like to thank Ian and I can't praise my staff too highly for what they did, they were exceptional.

"One of the firefighters happened to be a plumber, and he managed to isolate the water tank, otherwise, the whole building would have been flooded.

"We were exceptionally lucky because the damage could have been devastating," said Mr Yoki.

Two fire appliances from Wadebridge, two from Delabole and one from Padstow attended the fire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the two-storey property, measuring 25 metres by 10 metres, to extinguish the fire using two hosereels and a thermal imaging camera.

Firefighters then thoroughly investigated to ensure that the fire had not spread any further and carried out salvage work.

A Cornwall Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "The fire could have been a lot worse had it not been for a delivery driver who saw the smoke and raised the alarm and also for the staff at Waterfront who ensured that the door to the room where the fire was located was shut, which prevented the fire from spreading and potentially destroying the building."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR