Login Register

Reformed addict died of heart attack induced by cocaine, inquest is told

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 21, 2012

A REFORMED drug addict from Newquay inexplicably relapsed and died of a cocaine-induced heart attack – just weeks after becoming a grandad.

Kevin Hall, 59, had been overjoyed at news his daughter, Kacey Wright, was having a baby girl and visited the family in February this year, an inquest heard on Friday.

Ms Wright told Truro Coroner's Court: "He wanted to stay clean because he was just so happy to be a grandad. He just wanted to concentrate on her."

But on the evening of March 30 his partner and a friend found him face down on the floor of his Hawkins Road home after he had failed to return calls all day.

A post-mortem examination revealed he had "significant levels" of amphetamine and cocaine in his system, combined with coronary artery disease.

Coroner Emma Carlyon warned that cocaine was commonly associated with sudden deaths due to its effect on the heart's rhythm.

Ms Wright said she had "no idea" what could have triggered her father's decision to start taking drugs again.

The court heard he had been engaged with the Cornwall Drugs and Alcohol Team (CDAT) for 15 years before becoming "drug free" in September 2011.

A former injector of drugs, the father of two was also described as a heavy smoker who drank occasionally.

He used to manage a bar in Leicestershire and was described by his GP as "intelligent, interesting, open, honest and polite".

The court heard that on the day before his death, Mr Hall had met pal Andrew Tyler and arranged to have a few drinks the next day.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Tyler said his friend had seemed "fine and happy" because he had just gained a granddaughter. He had then been distraught to find him dead the following evening.

During the hearing, Ms Wright and Mr Hall's brother, Ronald Hall, were assured that death would have been very sudden, with no suffering.

Dr Carlyon said there was no evidence of an intentional overdose and recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Read more from Cornish Guardian