Login Register

Premier cricket: Werrington openers set the tone in fourth straight win

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: June 12, 2013

  • ON THE ATTACK: St Austell's Sean Hooper hits out in Saturday's Premier League match at Truro. by Jonathan Jacobs.

Comments (0)

Werrington 257-8, Camborne 154

WERRINGTON'S title defence could hardly have got off to a better start with four straight wins.

A big total at Ladycross was always on the cards after openers Nick Lawson and Nick Ward put on 152 for the first wicket in 33 overs. Camborne skipper Dan Stephens struck to remove Lawson for 70. Ward followed ten runs later for 71.

Alex Smeeth made 35 and the middle order chipped in with Sam Hockin making 21 and Paul Smith 18. Stephens ended with six for 67 as four wickets fell at the end for only 11 runs.

Camborne needed a solid start and got anything but. Alex Smeeth, back to bowling pace, struck twice as the visitors slumped to six for three.

Matt Rowe steadied things with 69 but only got support from Simon Hosking. The pair added 59 for the seventh wicket. Hosking went on to make an unbeaten 40 but the end came in the 45th over. Alex Smeeth took three for 42 and Ben Smeeth cleaned up with three for 11.

Callington 176, Paul 157

THE morning's heavy rain delayed the start at Hutchens Park with ten overs knocked off.

The visitors were indebted to Dan Davis for holding things together. Matt Robins opened with Andrew Libby, a replacement for brother Jake, whose shoulder injury is likely to see him miss most, if not all, of the season.

Once they were parted at 25 the wickets tumbled with half the side dismissed for 80. Davis was seventh out at 119 before Jim Shorten (16no) and Alex Mortimore (17) added, what was to prove to be, a crucial 30 for the last wicket.

Tony Riggall took five for 41. Paul's first four wickets fell for 34 before the middle order gave hope, Kelvin Snell made 41. He got support as Keiran Butler made 23 and Charlie Goldsworthy 20.

The innings ended on 157 all out with four overs left. Andrew Libby took three for 47 from 14 overs.

St Austell 105, Truro 107-2

THE start was delayed by half an hour at Boscawen Park following the morning thunderstorms.

St Austell's batsmen found life a struggle and were unable to score at more than two an over. They got to 36 before losing Mike Bone for 25. Half the side had gone for 71 but it took them 34 overs to get there. Chris Wallbank made 21 before being dismissed near the end.

Truro's four-man attack all bowled economically but the leading wicket taker was Tom Sharp, who took six for 33 from 13 overs. A feature of the innings was that all ten batsmen were caught.

Gary Bone got an early breakthrough to have Scott Harvey caught for nine. Tim Marrion made 21 before being run out.

Sharp secured the win in the 24th over, hitting seven boundaries in his unbeaten 45.

Grampound Road 260-6, St Just 262-1

GRAMPOUND Road seemingly put a good target on the board, but St Just's old firm of David Roberts and Neil Curnow almost treated it with disdain.

They put on the small matter of 243 for the first wicket, before the Road's eighth bowler, Dan Barretto, struck to have Curnow caught for 105. It included a six and 17 fours.

Roberts, meanwhile, went on to make 128 not out off just 92 balls, with 23 boundaries.

The win was secured at the beginning of only the 34th over. The Road's top order also impressed as they got to 172 for one. Tom Hughes made 72.

David Hoskings (34) added 72 for the first wicket before newcomer Aaron Todd helped put on 99. The 22-year-old Australian made 62 on his debut.

Matt South hit a lively 36 off 30 balls and Alex May made 24. Mark George and Gary Thomas shared the six wickets.

Redruth 286-5, Falmouth 287-5

FOR the second week running Christian Purchase dominated the home innings.

After Justin Stephens struck twice at 29 for two Purchase and Mark Jenkin added 192 for the third wicket in 40 overs. Jenkin was bowled by Stephens for 79 at the start of his second spell.

Purchase went on to make 153 not out that included eight sixes and 13 fours off 141 balls. Stephens returned the impressive figures of five for 40 from 16 overs.

The decision to open with spin initially worked, as Neil Ivamy got rid of Richard Kellow in the first over.

Matt Goldsbury (40) added 106 for the second wicket before Stephens (43) put on 117 for the third wicket with Stefan Churcher.

The in form opener went on to make 132 before he became a third victim for Ivamy, caught in the deep, with 36 required off nine overs. Ed Farley (28no) and Adrian Noott (14no) completed the task.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters