Login Register

Osborne stars as Roche shock Callington in cup

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 01, 2014

Comments (0)

FIRST division Roche achieved an impressive 2-0 away win over premier side Callington on Saturday to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Rowett Insurance League Cup.

It was a good all round performance with an impressive display by Neil Osborne at centre half for the visitors, who scored a goal in each half through Derek Truscott and Craig Coad.

The Fred Binks Premier Division Cup first round tie between Launceston and Wadebridge was postponed and a new date is awaited for the re-arranged fixture.

St Teath remain rooted to the bottom of the premier division after going down 4-0 at home to title chasing Plymouth Parkway.

Nevertheless, Saints will take heart from the fact that they have now completed their home and away fixtures against all the top four teams in the table and they remain optimistic of picking up enough points from their remaining fixtures to keep alive their hopes of avoiding relegation.

Honours were even at Lux Park where Liskeard and Millbrook shared the points in a 1-1 draw. Craig Walton gave Liskeard the lead shortly before the interval but Millbrook battled back in the second half to equalise through Patrick Kendall.

St Dominick pulled clear of the relegation zone with a 1-0 home win over Bere Alston. The visitors were reduced to nine men after half an hour with Will Westlake red carded for a dangerous tackle and Alex Lowe was dismissed for comments made to the referee.

Saints then had Adam Kellaway sent off for a similar infringement. St Dominick clinched victory when Kyle Peacock headed the winner from a great cross by Sam Dyer in the second minute of stoppage time.

Fowey took a three-point lead at the top of the first division with a 4-1 home win over second placed Edgcumbe.

Fowey eased into a 3-0 half-time lead with Josh Frampton opening the scoring followed by a double strike by Jamie Martin.

The visitors showed some improvement in the second half but Fowey added a fourth goal through Frankie McAvoy before Edgcumbe gained a late consolation when Brett Shannon converted a penalty.

Bude had a 6-0 home win over bottom of the table Nanpean with a couple of goals from Todd Pesky while Jordan White, Harry Hopcroft, Steve Hackett and Steve Smeeth were also on target.

Lanreath were left reflecting on a missed penalty as St Stephens Borough took the three points with a 1-0 win in a mid-table battle at Rally Park.

Peter Styring scored the only goal on the hour after Jay Hussey had seen his earlier spot kick rebound off an upright.

Toby Reed, a 17-year-old striker making only his second start of the season, scored a hat-trick for St Blazey in their 7-1 home win over Bodmin.

Also on target for St Blazey were Dan Vincent, Mark Williams and Jack Hunter, who scored two, including a second half penalty. Jordan Carter replied for Bodmin.

The matches at Mevagissey (at home to St Austell) and Probus (at home to Camelford) were both postponed.

Torpoint returned to the top of the premier division with a 3-0 away win over Millbrook on Boxing Day thanks to a hat-trick from Ben Applegate.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters