Login Register

Offer boosts display hopes

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 14, 2012

Comments (0)

IT APPEARS the skies above Looe may yet illuminate to the sparkle of fireworks come New Year's Eve after a local resident and councillor picked up the plans for the crisis-hit event.

Armand Toms, Cornwall councillor for Looe East, hopes to resurrect the popular display that last week seemed on the brink of collapse following the decision of longtime organisers, Michala and Garry Powell, to step down and a lack of volunteers to man the event.

Mr Toms said: "I have picked up the running of the New Year's Eve fireworks display as this is an event that makes Looe stand out from other towns. With the fancy dress and the party atmosphere it brings a large crowd to the town to celebrate the new year."

He also pointed out that the traditional fireworks spectacular is widely seen as the climax to the night with people heading for home as the crackles and sparks fade.

There are worries that without the display people will continue drinking long into the first day of the new year and trouble may ensue.

The event though needs support and Mr Toms has put out the call for anybody willing to get involved to contact him.

He said: "To run such an event takes funding of at least £3k and 20 volunteers to steward the event on the night and a further 15 early the following morning to clean up the seafront and the beach.

"There have been a number of people willing to help with both parts of this event but I will need more to make sure that it is run safely and the town returns to normal in the morning."

If you would like to lend a helping hand, either in stewarding the event or towards funding, please contact Armand Toms on 01503 264823 or via e-mail at atoms@cornwall.gov.uk

Mr Toms added: "I hope we can make this another New Year's Eve to remember for Looe."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR