Login Register


By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: August 03, 2011

Comments (0)

Mrs M Kane St Blazey

THE FUNERAL service for Maureen Kane (née Deice), aged 78, of St Blazey, has taken place at St Blaise Church, followed by interment at Rosehill Cemetery. Father Malcolm Bowers officiated.

Maureen was born, and lived all her life, in St Blazey. She attended St Blazey Girls' School where she made many lifelong friends.

On leaving school she worked in various local shops including the Co-op, Dave's Discount and Howell's Newsagents.

In 1956, she married William and over the following years was a loving wife, mother and grandmother.

In her spare time she played bingo at many local venues and also enjoyed helping with fundraising at St Blazey Church.

She will be fondly remembered by all who knew her as a loving, kind and generous person who would help in any way she could.

Donations in lieu of flowers were for the British Heart Foundation.

Family mourners were: William (Bill), husband; David and Danny, sons; Fiona and Paula, daughters-in-law; Jason, Rebecca and Jadey, grandchildren; Johnnie and Maggie Simpson, brother-in-law and sister-in-law; Paddy, Brian, Daniel, Wendy, Brian, Racheal, Michelle, Julie, Colin, Andrew, Jim and Ruth, cousins.

Among the large congregation were many friends, good neighbours and former work colleagues.

Also represented were Biscovey SC and the Heavy Transport Bingo Club.

Unable to attend were Vicky and Adam, grandchildren; Colman, Clare, Alan and Heather, cousins.

Funeral arrangements were by Ken Newcombe's Funeral Home, St Austell.

Mr TP Inch St Austell

THE FUNERAL service for Thomas Peter Inch, aged 83, of St Austell, has taken place at Glynn Valley Crematorium, Bodmin. The Rev Danny Wheadon officiated.

Peter was born in St Austell on August 16, 1927. He was the youngest of four boys.

Peter's life was spent in the St Austell area, where he was educated and worked.

His working life was spent as a lorry driver for various employers.

He retired from Heavy Transport after 32 years' service, due to ill health.

He married Daphne in 1972 and they were together until her death in 2008.

Family mourners: Sandra and John, daughter and son-in-law; Shaun and Mandy, grandson and wife; Luke, great grandson; Helen, Ted, Pam and Royce, nieces and nephews.

Also represented were neighbours, friends and work colleagues from Heavy Transport.

Chosen bearers were John, son-in-law; Shaun, grandson; Luke, great grandson; Royce, nephew.

Funeral arrangements were by Ken Newcombe's Funeral Home, St Austell.

Mrs MJ Gardner Sticker

THE FUNERAL service for Monica Jessie Gardner (Mon), aged 85, of Sticker, formerly of Bethel, has taken place at Penmount Crematorium, Truro. Canon Michael Warner officiated

Monica – Mon to friends and family – was born Monica Jessie Luscombe, in New Cross, Deptford, London, in 1925, then moving to Bickley, Kent, with her parents and older sister Mary.

When the war years came she joined the Women's Land Army, remaining in Kent where she met her future husband Bob.

They lived in Crouch, Borough Green, working on the land. In later life she moved to St Austell, where she worked in the bottling department at St Austell Brewery.

Family mourners were: Steve, Jackie and Andrew Gardner; Heather and Tony Bush; Gail and Terry Watts and family; Aestelle Trudgeon and family; Rosemary Duncumb and family.

Also represented were work colleagues from St Austell Brewery, family. friends and Rosehill House Residential Home staff.

Unable to attend were: Paul and Belinda Bush and family (Australia); Ian Bush and family (Australia); Suzi and Kristian Reichhart and family (Australia); Emma Bush and family (Australia); John and Phyllis Fairclough.

Chosen bearers were: Steve Gardner, son; Andrew Gardner, grandson; Tony Bush, son-in-law; Terry Watts, niece's husband.

Funeral arrangements were by Ken Newcombe's Funeral Home, St Austell.

Mr GW Prettyman Pentewan

THE FUNERAL service for Geoffrey William Prettyman, aged 69, of Pentewan, has taken place at All Saint's Church, Pentewan. This was followed by interment at Trewinney Cemetery.

The Rev John Kendall officiated and Brian Hunkin was the organist. The eulogy was read by Peter Melmoth and the lessons by Alan Green, family friends.

Geof was born in Torrington, Devon; mother Betty was from Nancor, Grampound, and father Archie was from Pentewan.

It was to Pentewan that Geof returned with Maureen, his wife of nearly 45 years, to continue his full and very happy life along with his two children Clare and Richard.

He joined the Army Apprentice School in Harrogate, at 15 years of age and went on to join the Royal Engineers.

His experiences were many. He served in Germany, Yugoslavia after the Skopje earthquake, the Far East in Borneo and the Malaysian campaign, and even got a trip on HMS Bulwark to Australia.

He was also an instructor at the Royal Brigade of Gurkhas in Malaya.

Illness was to end his Army career but he remained focused and stoic.

He worked for John Williams Joinery for a while, moving on to ECLP. He studied at Mid Cornwall College and went on to become a shift captain.

After retiring early, he worked as a tour guide at Heligan Gardens, which he loved.

He served on the Pentewan Residents' Committee for some 25 years and was involved with the Pentewan Old Cornwall Society for many years also.

During this time he got very involved with village life and local history, helping to write books and giving talks about the locality. There was a large attendance from the village at his funeral service.

In spite of illness during the last nine years he was determined that life should go on as near to normal as possible.

His sense of humour and uncomplaining nature was with him even during his time at Mount Edgcumbe Hospice. We will miss him.

Family mourners were: Maureen, wife; Clare and Richard, daughter and son; Marie-Claire, daughter-in-law; Dylan, grandson; Anne and Alan, sister and brother-in-law; David and Courtney, nephew and niece; John and Margaret and Peter and Margaret, cousins and their families; Charlie, Jeremy and Rebecca, cousins. Also Stephanie and Roger Quinn, Janet Barbery, June and Geoffrey Carveth and Juliet and Andrew Waggon.

Unable to attend were; brother Nigel (Australia) and Ada, granddaughter, USA.

Represented were Probus Club, Pentewan and St Austell Old Cornwall Society, Heligan Gardens, Imerys, St Andrew's Church, Lloyds TSB, and Mill Garage.

Also in attendance were: Fred and Lana McIntosh, Shirley Evans, Angela Blamey, Anne Bartlett, Sandra Melmoth, Irene Parker, Barbara and Ralph Noott, Denise and Mervin Olver, and many other friends especially from the Pentewan and Mevagissey area.

Chosen bearers were: Robert Evans, Gilbert Blamey, Anthony Bartlett and George Whetter, good friends of longstanding.

Funeral arrangements were by Ken Newcombe's Funeral Home, St Austell.

Mr AH Slack Penzance

MANY in Cornwall, and further afield, will be saddened to learn of the death of Adrian Slack, who passed away recently at the Ponsandane Nursing Home, Penzance.

This followed a protracted illness, borne with his typical courage, fatalistic good humour and equanimity, smiling and joking to the end.

Adrian lived an eventful and adventurous life. Born into a Kent family that traced its roots, he claimed, to at least three English monarchs and to wealthy ancestors in the North East of England, he suffered the trauma of being sent away at the age of 6 to live with an aunt and, soon after, to a boys' boarding school, where, through puberty, he discovered his sexual inclinations, which he retained throughout his life, and which he defended with a disarming transparency and candour.

Though small in stature, from an early age he possessed an impressive physical and mental acuity, which he demonstrated by being admitted to the Royal Ballet School at the age of 14 and by his later achievements with horses.

He was responsible for training Harvey Smith's winners and himself won dressage events at the highest national level.

During the 1960s and 1970s he mixed in elevated London society, both legitimate and shady, which was the source of endless and fascinating inside stories of the great and good, warts and all.

At 15, through family contacts, he became one of the youngest Lloyds' underwriters, courting a Baring, of banking fame.

Disillusioned by the horse world in the 1980s, he disappeared from public view with a partner in the Torquay area, later moving to Penzance in the late 1990s, in time for the Millennium celebrations and to be near his sister.

Here he had connections with Pentecostal Christianity but became disillusioned by what he saw as its many failings and limitations.

He also became well known as bon vivant, raconteur and socialite in local drinking establishments and nightclubs, where his ballet training was put to good, self-deprecating effect.

In many ways Adrian was an enigma and paradox. Self-confident and opinionated, empathetic and caring, yet capable of searing self-doubt and cutting cynicism of power and authority, with which he had frequent collisions. He was the epitome of good manners and impeccable breeding, yet could shock with his unadorned expression and opinions.

He will be remembered with affection and sadness, as a painfully honest and sensitive individual who had the rare gift of insight into the human condition, rejecting all pretence, hypocrisy and judgmentalism.

He accepted people as he found them and expected others to do the same.

Maybe the following extract from Jean Genet's poem, Le Condamne A Mort, dedicated to a young man about to be executed, may be regarded as a fitting epitaph:

From death I ask for peace and long sleeps,

the songs of the Seraphs,

their perfumes, their garlands,

small angels of fleece in big hot cloaks,

and I hope for moonless sunless nights,

above the motionless moors.

Adrian had no children and leaves behind two brothers and two sisters, who attended, with friends, his committal service at Camborne Crematorium.

Mr GH Raddon St Austell

THE FUNERAL service for George Harry Raddon, of St Austell, who passed away in Grantham, Lincolnshire, aged 89, has taken place at Carclaze Chapel. The Rev Rachel Wilson officiated.

Known as Harry, he was born at St Kew Highway and was an only child of Jack and Elizabeth.

After leaving the grammar school he went on to spend most of his working life on the railway, including being stationmaster at Grampound Road and Penryn.

He married Irene and they had a son, Robert. His main priority was his family, with his hobbies including gardening and, in the later years, holidays.

Harry retired from the railway, where he worked as a manager, in 1984.

After his wife Irene died in 2005, and with his health deteriorating, he went to live with his son Robert and his family in Grantham, Lincolnshire, still managing to return home to his beloved Cornwall whenever possible.

Family mourners included Robert, Bernadette, Emily and Sarah Raddon, Robert Johns.

Other mourners included Roger and Lesley Matthews, Christine and Eddie Walker, Michael and Deirdre Truscott, Irene Milford, Rex Jenkinson, Hilary and Peter Foot, Alban and Joyce Hearn, Alban Roberts, Brian Owen, Denis and Rita Pearce, Malcolm Trudgeon.

Jimmy Johns representing GWRSA Redruth, David Borlase, Jim and David Bower, Leo Dolling representing the Old Southeronians Association, Keith Netherton, Peter Mitchell, Mr and Mrs Perkins, representing the Railway Retirement Club, Paul Tett, Leslie Giles, Katie Sweet representing Ladies' Bright Hour.

Alma and May Sanders representing Carclaze choir, Clifton and Maizie Yates, representing Carclaze Chapel, Ken Magor, Joy Angilley, Kath Gowan, Marion Rowe, Ken Bone, Jim McKenzie, Valerie Clymo, representing Carclaze Bright Hour, Phyl Jones, Jim Evans representing British Transport Pensioners' Fund Plymouth and Cornwall, and John Embley representing Cornish Railways.

Ken and Muriel Vigus, Thelma Manhire, Joyce West, Grace Hoar, Colin Coombes, Tom Collins, Vernon Day, John Treloar, Trevor Pascoe, Leo Wooldridge, representing British Transport Pensioners' Federation, Mark Tancock.

Those unable to attend included Gerry Prisk, Viv Roberts, Roy Sandey, Heather and Michael Downing.

Donations were received for Harrowby Lodge Nursing home, Grantham, Lincolnshire.

Funeral arrangements were by Ken Newcombe's Funeral Home, St Austell.

Mrs CL Stevens Mount Hawke

THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Mount Hawke Methodist church, followed by committal at the cemetery, for Constance Louise Stevens (Connie), of Church Road, Mount Hawke, who died at Fairholme Nursing Home, Roskear, Camborne, aged 92. The Rev Joan Watson officiated.

Connie was born in 1918, the youngest child of seven, to John Henry and Lilian Parsons of New York and Trevallard, Mount Hawke.

She attended Mount Hawke and Blackwater schools. She was a gifted pupil receiving several prizes for her work. She had a flair for handicraft, needlework and painting, and also mastering the art of butter-making, something she learnt from her mother. She demonstrated how to make butter at local shows.

Connie started work at a seaside shop in Perranporth, and would enjoy a swim before or after work. She left to work in a large department store in Newquay. When asked about her time there she would reply that it was long hours, strict bosses, hard work and no messing about.

When war broke out Connie started shift work at the Climax engineering factory in Pool, where she was working in the Bren gun section.

Midway through the war she met her husband-to-be, Stanley, a farmer from the Mawla area. They were married in 1943 and chose to live in Mount Hawke, living in Ashtree Cottage at first then moving to Homefield House, where they kept livestock and raised their family.

In 1964 Stanley fell ill and, at the age of 48, died leaving Connie with a young family to care for. She worked tirelessly over the years holding down several jobs. She continued to keep livestock, ran a taxi service, worked as a seamstress and in a factory pressing garments. She worked at a local farm packing fruit and, in summer, took in visitors.

Connie also tried to do her bit for the chapel. She would use her craft skills and make various goodies to sell and, at Christmas, would run a stall selling jellies, blancmange, ice cream and clotted cream all made by her. Connie had little leisure time but did enjoy time with her sister Elsie, spending many an evening making dresses and other clothing for their children.

As Connie grew older she gave up the house and moved into a bungalow but continued working for several years, looking after sick relatives.

Eventually her health began to deteriorate and she underwent two operations. But Connie continued to support her family in any way she could right up until her death.

Mourners were: Maree and Peter, daughter and son-in-law; Vivienne, daughter; Richard and Anne, son and daughter-in-law; Emma and David, Kevin and Vicki, Richard and Jenny, Ashley and Claire, Tracey, Barry and Jill, grandchildren and grandchildren-in-law; John and Maureen, Barrie and Shirley, Rosemary, Ernest and Alison, Colin and Elaine, Susan and Edward, John and Katherine, Victoria, Ken and Diane, Bob and Jeanette, David and Linda, Diane, Julie, Terry and Naomi, nephews and nieces, also representing their families; Barbara Turnbull, friends and neighbours from Mount Hawke.

Funeral arrangements were by LJ Tregunna, Truro.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters