Login Register

Newquay youth rugby, December 7

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 07, 2012

  • UNDER 9: Josh is tackled by a Redruth opponent. by Julia Pollard.

  • HE'S BACK: Jordan, who broke his leg in a recent game against Perranporth, was back on the touchline on Sunday to watch the match against Redruth. by Kernow Natural Light Photography.

Comments (0)



Newquay lost for only the first time this season outside of cup competition, going down in a hard fought, entertaining game in wet and muddy conditions.

Newquay had applied the early pressure. Winning a ball from a line out some good rucking and mauling followed which saw Ethan Reed go over to put the first points on the board.

Redruth came back at them right from the restart and some good mauling of their own saw them make good progress down the left flank but they were eventually forced into touch.

With the ball back in play Redruth once more had possession and when a high tackle saw them awarded a penalty they used the superior weight of their forwards to force their way over to score.

Despite missing the conversion to leave Newquay narrowly in front, Redruth took heart from the try and piled on the pressure.

More great work from their forwards saw them closing the Newquay line but the Hornets showed great defensive work to keep them at bay and when they won a penalty they used the kick to send Redruth back up the pitch.

A further penalty to Newquay in Redruth's half saw them run the ball in close to the Redruth line with nearly the whole team driving Ethan Reed over to score.

Then a Redruth penalty close to the Newquay Line looked dangerous before Eddie Pearce dived in with what was undoubtedly a try saving tackle.

Moments later Redruth fed the ball out wide but the ball was dropped just short of the line as a try looked inevitable.

The second half saw Redruth on the ascendance again and when Newquay kicked to try and relieve the pressure it was caught and run back through to score.

Newquay went back at them but a penalty on the visitors line saw them survive as they kicked the ball back up field. Redruth had a line out on the half way line. Winning it they surged forward, excellent work in the maul once more seeing them over.

The conversion saw the visitors in front 19-14 but Newquay showed great character to respond immediately from the kick off driving them back, the Hornets forwards showing true grit as Perran Heaman forced his way over.

Ably converted by Ethan Morgan the Hornets led by two but Redruth went straight on the attack in response. Feeding the ball out wide they forged down the the Left hand side to score once again.

Once converted they led by five points and with little time remaining they kept Newquay at bay until the final whistle. A great match to watch played by two talented teams.

Newquay Man of the Match: Perran Heaman.



On a wet and cold Sunday morning Newquay Hornets U10s played host to Redruth for one of the most eagerly awaited games of the season.

This was going to be one of the toughest tests so far for the young Hornets; Redruth are a big strong side and the slippery conditions meant that this was going to be a battle of the forwards.

The Newquay forwards dominated the first half with strong runs from Tyler, Ben, Joe & Lewis but Redruth defended very well and Newquay struggled to capitalise on their territorial advantage.

Play after play broke down due to knock-ons and missed passes, as the slippery ball seemed to evade the Hornets. The conditions controlled the game and both teams struggled to get the ball out to the wingers.

Redruth fought to get out of there half but a motivated Newquay side kept up the pressure. Strong rucking from Ben led to Brad feeding the ball out to Bailey who made a strong run and dived over the line for a well worked try.

The second half started like the first with the Newquay forwards piling on the pressure and great runs from Declan but again Newquay struggled to convert the pressure into a try due to the conditions with a slippery ball proving to be their biggest adversary.

As the game went on Redruth came back at Newquay with good rucking and strong scrums and made several runs, which were halted by some great tackling, by Toby, Caleb, Summer, Liam and Tyler not to mention Brad's terrier like defence attitude.

The Redruth forwards kept up the pressure and Newquay struggled to get out of their 10m zone.

Redruth looked more and more dangerous as the game drew to a close and their continued pressure paid off when they fed the ball out from a scrum to their winger who had a clear run for the line to score a try.

The referee blew the whistle to bring this very close battle to an end and the result was a fair reflection of this difficult game.

No player of the match was awarded because each player was deserving of the title.



The match against Redruth proved to be different to previous weeks, and it has made the Hornets really appreciate the true spirit of the team; players and coaches alike.

Victory went to Redruth but it is fair to say that this was a result few saw coming after the contrasting fortunes of the Hornets in their outings over the season so far.

The Hornets played their two teams equally over the match. Captained by scrum-half Matthew Pollard , the first team demonstrated great skill and fearlessness against a very strong opposition.

Harvey Henwood opened the scoring for the Hornets with a charge forward that was quite unexpected by the rival team, shredding holes in their defence.

Mackenzie Cooke, ever present in the thick of all the action, did not disappoint on the day with great displays of tackling and efforts to push the team forward.

The second half was highlighted by the solid defence by Matthew Barker, Joshua Evans and Josh Pownall, gaining ground on each push forward.

Monty Bayley-Skinner again fought above his weight, with instinctive and solid tackling, to hold the rapid drive forward of the rival team.

It was tough at the front for our fast paced team members due to Redruth's solid front line defence; Jacob Lamboll, Poppy Garner, Leon Gerrard and Harry Youngman didn't get many opportunities to ply their well practiced passing and try scoring trade.

However, they did keep the opposition on their feet, and Redruth had to work hard to contain the would-be stings.

Constantly in support, Lloyd Cornes, Ruben Greenfield, Matthew Pollard and Kai Bentley never stopped their pressure and valiant attempts to push forward and saw some great set ups; demonstrated by the space created that gave Mackenzie Cooke the opportunity to run a solo blitz through the field and score the Hornets second try.

There was a lot of composure during the match that was at odds with the conditions; mud and rain. At no point did any player feel upset or defeated, and that's something that has grown over the season.

William Blatchford, Jared Williams and Benjamin Cole always had the energy and attitude that kept them strong in the pack and determined in their running lines; which never allowed the opposition a moment to breathe.

Players of the match go to Jack Jenkinson and TJ Colvin for sheer tenacity and strength.



Newquay Hornets played host to Redruth on Sunday. Hornets were short of players and Redruth kindly lent us two of their players.

The game got off to a fast start with some excellent play from both sides. Joe Pearce had a lovely run down the pitch with support from Ruby Reed and Joshua Golden-Clarke scoring a try for Newquay Hornets.

It was Redruth's turn to start and they quickly equalled the score boards but not without some good defensive work from Joshua Golden-Clarke and Geren Griffiths.

Both sides played exceptionally well throughout the first half with Newquay Hornets taking the lead and going into half time well ahead on the scoreboard.

Redruth started the second half with some more excellent play. The ball was intercepted and Geren Griffiths had a lovely run but was unfortunately tagged just before the line.

With his team-mates in support he was able to pass to Joe Pearce who dodged the defence to carry the ball over the line.

With Redruth restarting the game they worked down the pitch but the ball was turned over and Ruby Reed made good progress down the field before being tagged.

She passed to Joshua Golden-Clarke who found the gap and scored another try. The game continued with both teams playing really well.

Even though Newquay Hornets were short of players we would like to say a big thank you to the two loan players, Ethan and Harry. The final score reflected how hard they all worked as a team.

Player of the Match: Joshua Golden-Clarke.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters