A DANGEROUS precedent could have been set if a Newquay takeaway had been allowed to stay open until 4am, a senior police officer has said.
Superintendent John Green, local policing area commander for East Cornwall, spoke after Bodrum Restaurant and Takeaway saw its application to stay open longer rejected.
Cornwall Council's licensing committee turned down its bid – to increase its opening hours from 1.30am to 4am – at a hearing on Wednesday.
Superintendent Green said that if the application had been approved, it could have caused a major headache for his force and led to crime and disorder in Central Square, where the takeaway is based.
"If the application had been successful it would have placed an added burden on my staff," he said.
"I have a responsibility to police the region of Newquay and the local policing area of East Cornwall as a whole.
"Had this application been approved, I would have been robbing Peter to pay Paul; it would be a problem for Bodmin and St Austell, as resources would be taken from there to cover the impact of this takeaway staying opening longer."
Newquay is one of four areas in Cornwall to have a Cumulative Impact Zone (CIZ), which looks at the cumulative effects of its many bars and licensed premises, which are crammed into a small area, using the data as evidence for new licence applications or reviews.
The CIZ breaks down violent crime into both organisations and street names.
"It would have become a focal point for people coming out of the clubs; as there would just be that one venue open, right in the middle of the CIZ," Superintendent Green added.
"I make no judgement or criticisms about the conduct of the takeaway itself; this is not what this is about. But this would have set a precedent for Newquay."
Superintendent Green said the owners of Bodrum were given the opportunity to stay open until 2am, in line with Newquay's other late-night restaurants and takeaways, but that they rejected this opportunity.