Login Register

Duchy Football League round-up, September 28

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 28, 2012

GORRAN AFC: of Duchy League division four. They beat division five leaders Tregrehan Mills 3-1 in the league cup on Saturday. Back row, from left: Mick Ayres (manager), Stuart Rowe, Albert Savage, Mike Brennan, Jack Bray-Smith, Jack Burr, Andrew Whatty and Paul Welsh. Front row: Josh Lovell, Guy Widdows, Glenn Littlejohns, Mike Harwood, Sam Burr and Nick Webb. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


St Cleer have made a promising start in the Premier Division, but fell with a thump after being thrashed 7-0 at Torpoint Athletic.

Lewis Pacey hit a hat-trick with Graham O'Neil adding a debut brace. Dominic Murray and Shane Gill completed the rout.

There were a couple of bright points for the visitors, but they were denied on each occasion by brilliant saves from Torpoint keeper Tom McHale.

Fowey United hit eight without reply against Bodmin Saints with Rory Barnicle hitting a hat-trick and Josh Frampton and Richard Riddell adding a brace apiece. Luke Watts completed the rout.

Leaders AFC St Austell scored an impressive 3-0 win at Saltash United to demonstrate they are the force to beat. Mike Body scored a brace with Phil Hutchings adding their other goal.

St Columb Major made hard work of winning what turned out to be a tame local derby with St Mawgan 3-1.

The visitors took an eighth minute lead with an unstoppable James Olsen strike. This should have ignited the game, but it took until the 68th minute for the hosts to equalise when Martin Atkinson scored from the spot.

Major applied pressure and took the lead five minutes from the end when from a cleared corner Adam Weller looped the ball back into the net. In injury time Jamie Leavers scored the third.

Division One


First Division leaders St Dominick lost their 100 per cent start, top place in Division One and their composure as they were thrashed 10-2 at Pensilva.

The home side started with a blitz with three goals in the opening 16 minutes through a Jack Podmore brace and a Marc Tuck free kick.

The visitors, although stunned, did respond with some style reducing the arrears to 3-2 after a penalty and an own goal. Sam Rogers added a fourth for Pensilva and after this the visitors lost their discipline and were reduced to ten men. Rogers scored twice more to complete his hat trick and take to half time score to 6-2.

Two penalties from Jack Penhaligon and goals from John Filbey and Aaron Varcoe completed the scoring; and a special mention for referee Jeff Stacey, who officiated a difficult game with great experience.

Altarnun picked up their first win of the season with a comfortable 5-1 defeat of Maker with Rame. They were ahead as early as the first minute with Neil Tryner scoring in off the post. Jimmy Miles then gave away a penalty and Luke Jones stroked home an equaliser.

Altarnun regained the lead when Tryner slotted home his second, and Danny Moore added a third.

Another Jasper through ball saw Stuart Cole increase the lead, and Cole turned provider after hitting a post and seeing his shot rebound to Sam Smith to convert.

Biscovey move up after goals from Martyn Jones and Nick Isbell gave them a 2-1 win at Gunnislake. Darren Benfield replied.

Godolphin Atlantic remain unbeaten after a Ben Colquhoun goal gave them a share of the spoils at Week St Mary. Rob Pearce was the home scorer.

Division Two


The top two in Division Two met at North Petherwin where the leaders Lostwithiel were beaten 4-0, and it would have been more if not for three outstanding saves from Bill Davies.

Although the scoreline and saves suggest a one-sided game that was not the case. Alex Emmanuel-Jones put them ahead with Joe Reeve adding a second. Tom Foulds put the game out of reach of the visitors with Andy Penn completing the scoring with a fantastic goal.

Padstow United close in on the leaders after their 3-1 win at AFC Bodmin. John Murt, Kyle Tippett and an own goal for Padstow with Andy Seymour replying.

Foxhole also move closer to the top after five-goal defeat of Boscastle. Sam Leaney gave them a 15th minute lead. Although dominant they didn't add to their total until the second half with a debut goal from Jamie Robinson. Leaney scored his second after which Boscastle made changes and came more into the game.

As they pushed for something out of the match Boscastle were caught twice on the break by Rob Giltjes with a great individual goal and by a Jamie Killen strike.

It was also nice to receive a communication from referee Darren Bragg praising both teams on their entertaining football, sportsmanship and hospitality as he had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

Premier Sixes, after a poor performance last week, changed their personnel and positions around with only Rob Black maintaining the same position.

The changes worked as they put in a superb performance and hammered St Breward 8-1.

They were two up at half time through Josh Mitchell and Martyn Probert, and then went to town in the second half.

Wayne Davey did score a consolation goal for St Breward, but by then they were seven goals behind. Neil Currah scored a second half hat-trick with Mitchell and Probert adding their second goals and the visitors putting through their own net.

Division Three


Stoke Climsland take over at the top of Division Three after coming from behind to win 4-2 at Delabole. In what was an entertaining game, Tom Savage hit a screamer of a volley on the half hour to give the visitors the half time lead.

Delabole came racing out of the blocks at the start of the second half and two quick goals from Tom Harris and an own goal turned the score-line around.

Veteran Ian Cook came on from the substitutes bench and within two minutes equalised with a header and then crossed for Rob Bennett to hit a superb volley on the penalty spot to restore the visitors' lead.

Sixteen-year-old Josh Searle scored his second goal in successive games to ensure the points.

Tregony recorded a first victory with Aaron Davey, Jamie Andrew, Chris Kilbey and Tom Rhodes scoring in the 4-2 win at Callington Town. Martin Hunn and Sam Nicholson scored the home consolation.

Division Four


Mevagissey reserves had an easy 5-0 victory over Pensilva reserves in their Division Four clash.

After dominating the first half it took them until the last minute before Joe Lewis put the hosts ahead. Bruce Campbell scored a quick brace after the break and the win was rounded off by goals from Dan Brady and Eli O'Brien.

Torpoint Comrades take over at the top on goal difference after a Jake Goodrum hat-trick helped them to a 6-0 win at St Teath. Dave Palmer, Fred Wilcox and Curtis Evans completed the scoring.

Gunnislake reserves arrived at Grampound reserves with only ten men, but worked extremely hard throughout before going down 6-4.

They had a dream start with Steve Moorcroft conceding an own goal after a long throw after 90 seconds. Then in the fifth minute Harry Southcott added a second with a good shot.

Grampound didn't panic a gained a foothold with Peter Thomas scoring twice to level the game. Ryan Orchard put them ahead for the first time latching on to a Alastair Woodman through ball and Thomas completed his hat trick to make it 4-2 at half time. The home side took their foot off the pedal after the restart and the unfortunate Moorcroft made a poor back pass, which was put away by Southcott.

Matt Skews scored from a corner to restore the hosts' two-goal advantage with Thomas then scoring his fourth goal. With virtually the last kick of the game Gunnislake's Ashley Pollard pulled a goal back.

Division Five


North Petherwin Reserves were 8-1 winners away to St Newlyn East Reserves, while Veryan recorded a superb a 7-0 home win over St Minver Reserves.

Knockout Cup


St Dennis produced by far their best performance of the season to topple Premier Division Mevagissey from the KMD Developments Knockout Cup.

The first division side won 3-2 with Gary Tippett and Phil James both scoring and then Stuart Bell coming off the substitutes bench to score the winner.

Mevagissey replied with a Karl Best own goal and a Miles Gardner strike.

Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup


In the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup first round division four side Gorran put out division five leaders Tregrehan Mills 3-1 with Jack Bray-Smith scoring a brace.

Dave Grose completed the home scoring with Dean Seville getting the visitors' consolation.

After last week's clean sheet manager Mick Ayres went with his trusted back four, Paul Welsh left back, Guy Widows, along with Nick Webb in the centre, and Josh Lovell at right back. Lovell had another solid game and it was his cross from the right which the Millers keeper just managed to get a hand on, but only succeeded in pushing the ball up in the air setting up Bray-Smith with a simple header at the far post.

A few moments later Bray Smith managed to engineer himself a second opportunity which he finished with ease, netting his fourth goal in two games.

At the other end Gorran's defence were standing strong but did allow a couple of shots to leak through, calling on their keeper Mike Harwood to use all his experience to pull out some fine saves.

Just before half-time a big kick from the Millers' keeper saw one of Gorran's midfielders flick it on towards his own goal, allowing Seville to run onto it and score.

But in the second half Gorran secured victory when Grose scored his first of the season, from a long throw by Widows, who also had the only other opportunity of the second half when he saw his cross come shot hit the bar.

Cornwall Junior Cup


There was one Cornwall Junior Cup preliminary round game where Grampound faced a difficult task at LC Phoenix, but came away with a 2-1 win.

Grampound played very well in the first half and took a 20th minute lead when Martin Lloyd side footed home.

On the half hour Shane Weeks was shoved in the box and doubled the visitors' lead from the resultant penalty.

Dan Riley made a spectacular save to keep the hosts at bay as they fought back in the second half, but with the game going into the final ten minutes Grampound had four good chances on the break, but spurned them all.

Phoenix hit a last minute consolation as they went out of the competition.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters