Login Register

Newquay and district grassroots sport March 19

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 19, 2014

HOCKEY: Newquay enjoyed a winning weekend on the road after beating Dorset side B&SN 4-2. See report below.

Comments (0)



The 2014 'Run Falmouth' Half Marathon on Sunday was also the third race in the Cornwall Glass and Glazing 2014 Grand Prix (GP).

The event was organised by Cornwall Hospice Care, in conjunction with Falmouth Road Runners, and is a major fund-raising event for the community charity.

The race provides a uniquely coastal route for a half marathon in Cornwall taking in the stunning coast and countryside of the area but it is a hilly course and is rated as one of the toughest on the Cornish road-running circuit and most certainly provides a good fitness-level indication to those using it as a lead-in to the Spring marathon season.

Starting on The Moor in Falmouth centre before going around Pendennis Castle and along the seafront to Gyllngvase Beach, the route then goes past Swanpool and Maenporth Beach where the hard work really starts.

A very steep climb going inland to Mawnan Smith sets the tone for the next few miles with a series of climbs and descents before, at 10 miles, runners have to tackle the very steep climb up the 'Budock Beast'.

The field then returns via the outskirts of Penryn along Falmouth waterfront to the most welcome sight of the finish on The Moor.

As well as a medal, finishers also received a glass of bubbly – a most appropriate gesture, as the race HQ was located in Weatherspoon's pub.

The weather conditions were near perfect – dry but cool with just a gentle breeze and this was reflected by some excellent times for many of the runners.

There were 427 finishers of which two were disqualified for wearing headphones. The GP rules clearly state that competitors are not to wear such devices as it breaches health and safety rules. Let's hope this valuable lesson has been learnt by the two individuals concerned.

Newquay's Mike Birchmore, a Great Britain triathlete, won the race as he did last year, but his time this year, of 1 hour 15 minutes 16 seconds, was nearly three minutes faster than in 2013.

He had a bit of a battle for 3/4s of the race with Cornwall ACs Justin Thomas who finished in 1.15.55.

Another Newquay runner, Alex Daniels was over the moon with his third place in 1.20.12 and it shows that his training for the Milton Keynes Marathon in May is progressing well.

Mike and Alex were extremely well supported in the team competition by Mike's tri buddy Olly Jose who was 14th in 1.22.55, Marc Bayly 22nd in 1.24.41, Martin Davis 26th in 1.25.37 and Iain Ware 28th in 1.26.07 which saw the Newquay team take first place.

The ladies race was very competitive too with Truro's Isobel Wykes winning in 1.28.40, Jessica Buscombe, St Austell RC, was 2nd in 1.32.50 with Newquay's ladies captain Jo Herd taking 3rd place in 1.33.40.

Jo had quite a battle to the finishing line with last year's winner Zelah Morrell, Cornwall AC, who was only two seconds behind Jo in fourth place.

Newquay's ladies' team of Jo Herd, Lynn Counter, Lisa Talling, Jenny Simcock, Sarah Hill and Sandy Hill were the fourth ladies' team.

There were 35 representing Newquay Road Runners, some of whom were running their first half marathon and who acquitted themselves well on such a demanding course.

Many others took advantage of the excellent conditions to take significant time, in some cases over ten minutes, off their previous best for the race.

There were age-group category prizes for the following Newquay Road Runners:

Ladies. Jo Herd 3rd overall and 2nd 35-39; Lynn Counter 1st 50-54; Val Hawken 2nd 70+.

Men. Mike Birchmore 1st overall and 1st under 35; Marc Bayly 1st 35-39; Alex Daniels 3rd overall and 2nd 40-44; Martin Davis 1st 55-59; Pat Lockett 3rd 65-69.

Newquay Road Runners – overall positions times names: 1 1:15:16 BIRCHMORE, Mike; 3 1:20:12 DANIELS, Alex; 14 1:22:55 JOSE, Olly; 22 1:24:41 BAYLY, Marc; 26 1:25:37 DAVIS, Martin; 28 1:26:07 WARE, Iain; 46 1:30:23 BAYLY, Jason; 47 1:30:26 RENDLE, Steve; 49 1:31:51 WEBSTER, Craig.

58 1:33:40 HERD, Joanna; 74 1:35:58 GLANVILLE, Wayne; 83 1:36:53 BRERETON, Stuart; 91 1:37:16 ALLEN, Peter.

112 1:40:28 CHYNOWETH, Richard; 118 1:40:58 CIANO, Phillip; 127 1:41:39 DAVIES, Richard; 137 1:42:47 LOCKETT, Pat; 143 1:43:30 LE BOULANGER, Mathieu.

175 1:48:47 COUNTER, Lynn; 187 1:49:33 CLARKE, Aiden; 190 1:49:54 TALLING, Lisa; 193 1:50:22 SIMCOCK, Jenny.

213 1:52:00 LILLIS, John; 220 1:53:13 LAMING, Andrew; 221 1:53:14 HILL, Sarah; 266 1:58:08 HILL, Sandi; 271 1:58:50 GARCIA LARA, Manuel; 272 1:58:55 WALTERS, Karen; 273 1:58:55 FRITH, Ray.

342 2:09:51 EVANS, Des; 404 2:33:55 MITCHELL, Brent; 410 2:39:12 MCKENZIE, Tracy; 416 2:52:13 HATTO, Lorna; 419 2:55:03 HAWKEN, Val; 421 2:56:38 BENNEY, Kevin.



The Ben Lyon trophy was played for at Newquay Golf Club and this event often serves notice that winter is over and spring is sprung.

The format is the same as the winter league but allows a golfer from division one to have the chance to partner an elite player from division two.

Winning the trophy were club greenkeeper Sean Williams and Rob Handley with 42 points to win by one from club secretary Peter Batty and Alan Metters on 41 points and club members Mark Arnold and Steve Brocklehurst were third on 39 points.

The scoring was really good with well over two thirds of the field carding the benchmark 36 points or more.

The March monthly medal was played on Sunday and it saw a win for club chef, John Duffy, with a net 76.

We had a chef winning and a cook in second place. Richard Cook to be precise, who had a net 77. Completing the culinary connection was third-placed Keith Barker, also with a 77, who is a connoisseur of fine haute cuisine with his obvious love of pasties.

The rest of the field were strung out behind these three. The players found the third hole the easiest whilst the final hole, the 18th, played the hardest.

The result of the Mail on Sunday match was a 3-2 win for local rivals Merlin on their own patch.

It was an exciting game coming down to the last match with Ian Colwill of Merlin beating Dave Pryor on the 17th.

It was eyes down for the ladies this week, to raise money, as they do annually, for MacMillan Cancer Support.

The day started with a nine hole Greensome competition. The weather was dry and calm though a little chilly but no one was complaining.

The winners of the Greensome Trophies this month were the pairing of Trish Poyner and Jo Toms with 18 points.

Second were Sally-Anne Stacey and Pat Thom with 17 points, just ahead of Pat Greenwood and Jean Hill also with 17 points.

After the presentation and lunch the serious business of fund raising began with a new venture for the ladies, a bingo session, organised by the Lady Captain, Janet Cox.

There was a good turnout of members of the ladies section but the numbers were swelled by a strong contingency from Crantock, together with Sally Stacey's mum and friends – and we mustn't forget the one male member who played.

Half way through proceedings everything stopped for tea and cakes, provided by the caterers, John and Sue Duffy.

She was able to announce that we had made £432.50 which was a brilliant result.

That, however, is not the end of it as next week the ladies will be playing for the Cancer Cup and the entry fee for that will be added to the total.



In April, the vice president of Bowls England, Mike Jennings, is visiting the West End Bowls Club, Newquay, to open the season.

Later in the month West End are hosting an Open Day for beginners and people experienced in the sport.

In addition, the club is going to host a bowls session for local residents and visitors during the bowls season starting April 12 (not on wet days). The sessions take place at the club house every morning 10am to midday.

New players will be provided with equipment and help provided as to how to play the game.

The club is situated in the heart of Newquay overlooking Newquay harbour and beach.

The club plays a central part in the Newquay Festival.

U8s Rugby

Newquay Hornets 35 Falmouth 70

A 15 strong Newquay Hornets U8s squad travelled to Falmouth on Sunday.

The starting line up of Alfie Tucker, Jago Ross, Xan Retallack, Beau Baird, Kiera Holland, Sam Bond and Louis Pease began well with an excellent try by Bond in the first few seconds.

Good communication between Tucker and Retallack resulted in another try for the visitors in the next run of play.

Falmouth were quick to attack however and it soon became clear that their scrum half was one to watch, intercepting the ball and powering to the try line.

Newquay scrappily won possession minutes later and Sam Bond did well to confidently catch a stray long throw and touch down for his second.

The game took a predictable turn with both sides scoring tries when they had possession.

It is worth noting however that Tucker found space on the wing on more than one occasion and was reading the game exceptionally well.

The physical nature of the match didn't intimidate the Hornets' players one bit and Jago Ross in particular looked strong and unstoppable in attack.

As did Pease who added to his season's try total.

However, tagging was lapse on several occasions by the visitors, allowing Falmouth to score a couple of tries.

Half time saw a scoreline of 30-25 to Falmouth with everything to play for in the second half.

Starting the second half were Katie Hammersley, India Forster, Sienna Morison, Harry Connock, William Shepstone, Jack Willcock and Finn Goodwin.

With fresh legs on both sides, the half started energetically enough with Falmouth dominating the try scoring.

However, there were glimpses of brilliance from the Hornets.

Henry Troth read the game well, finding space and supporting his team.

Harry Connock illustrated why he is so dangerous with the ball when he sprinted his way to the try line.

But it was Falmouth who completely dominated the play, intercepting sloppy passes and taking advantage of a bunched up Newquay defence.

Sienna Morison never surrendered to the pressure of the Falmouth team, weaving her way through the players and finally being well rewarded with a try.

With so many strong U8 sides in Cornwall this season, the Festival in April is promising to be a much anticipated battle.

Player Of the Match: Sienna Morison.

Women's Football

Cornwall Womens League Division 1

Newquay Celtic 4 Illogan 0

In the seventh minute the Illogan keeper seemed to miss kick the ball and went down injured leaving Becky Spark to pounce and put the ball into an empty net.

In the 35th minute some fine passing and moving created an opening for Kelly Philips who struck a sweet shot past the Illogan keeper.

Celtic saw the first half out comfortably with Sophie Hoskin and Georgie Sweet keeping the Illogan attacks to a minimum.

The start of the second half saw Illogan put ten players behind the ball, Celtic had total possession but Illogan remained resilient until the 65th minute when Kirra Spray latched onto a through ball from Janine Butterly and outsprinted the Illogan flat back four to slot home a comfortable goal making it 3-0 to Celtic.

Illogan's odd attacks were from their wide players but Celtic full backs Frankie Fronc and Becky Pearce saw off any danger.

Celtic started passing with confidence switching from right to left where wide players Lisa Butterly and Molly Townsend saw lots of the ball.

The best goal of the game came in the 75th minute when Kirra Spray beat two players who forced her wide left, she struck the ball with the outside of her right foot bending the ball into the bottom corner making the final score 4-0 to Celtic keeping them on the top spot.

Higman Windows Player of the match: Janine Butterly.

Squad: Z Dyson, J Butterly, R Spark, G Sweet, R Pearce, F Fronc, S Hoskin, L Butterly, K Phillips, K Spray, M Townsend, B LeVien, A Green, C Carne

Newquay Celtic are away to Penzance Ladies on March 23.



Newquay played away to Dorset side B&SN, leaving home at 6.30am for an 11.30 start.

Andreya Bennett slotted a stunning ball through the centre of the pitch to Annie Lobb catching the home defence on a back foot. Lobb then laid the ball off to Robyn Keen, who deflected it straight back to Lobb with a beautiful one-two, Lobb then finding herself inside Newquay's attacking circle struck at goal.

Her shot which was saved by the B&SN keeper rebounded back off their pads into Lobb's path, she neatly slotted the ball into the goal, this time on her reverse stick to make it 1-0 Newquay.

Another attacking corner for Newquay, who having had enough awarded to them previously were more savvy to how the Dorset sides defence were setting themselves up.

A quick huddle at the top of the circle before the penalty was taken and Newquay had hatched a plan of attack off the back of Sarah Rendall's observations.

The ball injected by Jenna Paull to the top of the circle finding Helen Stubbs who with a nifty wide drag to her right found herself in acres of space to crack off an astounding strike which sounded like it almost broke the backboard of the home team's goal.

Now half-time and 2-0 Newquay. The visiting side dominated the majority of play, distributing the ball beautifully but on occasions B&SN's front line would catch Newquay's midfield off guard and make inspired attacks at goal, the majority of which were skilfully intercepted and dealt with by the Newquay defence.

A shot on the Newquay goal by the home team, blocked by a Newquay body on the goal line, resulted in a penalty stroke being awarded to B&SN.

Mandy Peter, Newquay's goalkeeper, did everything in her power to keep the ball from going in but with an unlucky bobble off her pads and then her stick the ball trickled across the line.

Soon after the home team were awarded another penalty corner under dubious discretion, on appealing the decision a Newquay player was sent off the pitch with a yellow card and B&SN converted their penalty opportunity to make it 2-2.

Stubbs picked up the ball out to the left of the pitch around the halfway line, from receiving it she dribbled the rest of the pitch to her attacking circle, taking on a number of the opposing players. Then with a flair to which we have all become accustomed she scored yet another outstanding goal letting it rip from the minute she found the opportunity past the B&SN keeper, giving Newquay a 3-2 lead.

With the bit between their teeth now, a final Newquay goal was scored by midfielder Paull with a ball sent loosely to the top of the circle to be converted by a first time strike which ricocheted off a B&SN defender into the corner of the goal, giving Newquay a 4-2 victory to travel all the way home with.

Bowgie Inn Man of the Match: Jenna Paull.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters