Login Register

Football: Duchy League review January 15

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

HOLYWELL AND CUBERT ATHLETIC FC: Duchy League division two side. Back row, from left: Malcolm Dearn (manager), Liam Drake, Mike Deacy, James Nettleton, Simon Holmes, Pete Bruce (assistant manager), Connor Drew. Front row: Spencer Stanford, Jack Stevenson, Simon Drew, Shaun Busby, Reece Davies, James Sutton. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


St Stephen stay third in the Premier Division after a late winner gave them a 3-2 home success over St Newlyn East.

The home side dominated the first half and Matt Spry gave them a 12th minute lead. They went two up in the 36th minute through Jack Mingo, but lost their way after the restart as Newlyn got on top.

A right foot shot from Mickey Thompson three minutes into the second half brought them back in the game with Russell Withers striking an equaliser in the 65th minute with a half volley from a corner.

Matt Spry then ran through the visitors' defence three minutes from time, rounded the keeper and gave St Stephen the winner. Newlyn could have grabbed a point in the final minute, but missed an easy chance.

Biscovey started slowly at home to St Columb Major falling behind in the third minute. The home side battled back and Daley McErlain equalised before half time.

Another slow start after the restart saw them concede two goals in the opening ten minutes.

To their credit Biscovey again raised their game with McErlain scoring twice more to claim a hat trick and a 3-3 draw.

Division One


Padstow United missed a chance to move into the top three in Division One when held 1-1 at St Mawgan.

Tom Strang of St Mawgan traded goals with Cameron Wickins.

Looe Town and St Dominick shared the spoils from a 1-1 draw. Matt Barton scored for Looe with the home side also putting through their own net for the visitors' reply.

Polperro suffered a heavy home loss to fellow strugglers Calstock. The visitors won 6-1 with Mike Brown scoring a hat trick.

They completed their tally with a Berryn Phillips penalty, an own goal and Phil Symons fourth goal of the season. Andy Cordner pulled a goal back for Polperro.

Division Two


The match of the day in Division Two saw leaders Foxhole draw 1-1 with second placed St Minver.

Foxhole, under new manager Ali Milton, conceded a penalty after four minutes, but the home keeper made a fine save. Foxhole took the lead in the 36th minute from a Shane Kibell free kick.

There was little to choose between the two sides and a draw looked the likely result throughout.

St Minver duly claimed their share of the points in the 78th minute when Sam Cleave headed an equaliser from a free kick.

With their regular 3G pitch unavailable, Premier Sixes switched to grass at Treviglas School and struggled to adapt to the different conditions.

The league's leading scorer Martyn Probert put them two up at half time against Gunnislake with a brace. Gunnislake played with great-spirit and forced six one-on-one positions with the Sixes keeper throughout the game, but couldn't break their duck.

They fell three behind ten minutes from time when Darren Keal scored his first goal for Sixes, but thoroughly deserved their consolation goal with the last kick from Glen Tremblett.

Boscastle picked up three crucial points in their battle to avoid relegation. They won with Harley Westlake heading the game's only goal from the corner at Gerrans & St Mawes United.

This was a good battle between two teams near the wrong end of the table and was well refereed.

Holywell/Cubert Athletic drew 3-3 at home to Sticker. Peter Bruce scored a brace for the hosts with Simon Holmes completing their tally.

Sticker replied through Alex Keast, Eddie George and an own goal.

Division Three


North Hill consolidated their place at the top of Division Three with Jason Ridgment hitting a hat trick in their 5-1 defeat of Delabole United.

Martin Ridgment and Gavin Swift completed the home scoring with Kieran Barrett getting the visitors' consolation.

St Neot continued their charge up the league with an 8-1 thrashing of St Stephen reserves.

Ryan Chapman and Nathan Berry hit a hat trick apiece with their tally completed by Matt Lorenz and an own goal. Chris Wenmouth scored the visitors' consolation.

Callington Town's eight game unbeaten run came to an end as Stoke Climsland won 3-2 away from home to revenge a home defeat to the same side in late November.

Tom Cleveland scored a brace for the visitor's with James Wing adding their other goal. Sam Barton and Kevin Pethick scored for Callington.

Division Four


North Petherwin reserves have gone back to the top of Division Four. They trailed after 20 minutes at Pensilva reserves to a Marc Tuck goal, but them everything fell apart for the home side who took a 7-1 drubbing.

Andi Sleeman scored a hat trick and Sam Stockdale, who tortured the home defence, added a brace. Craig Charnock and Paul Penny completed the rout.

Two Zak Peel goals moved St Cleer reserves second on goal difference after their 2-0 win over Wadebridge Town.

Division Five


In Division Five unbeaten St Merryn were being held 1-1 at half time by Tregrehan Mills, but they upped the ante after the break and ran away to win 5-2.

Ryan Brown, Luke Worrall, Matt Webster, Kevin Allen and Ashley Rescorla scored for St Merryn with Sam Rowse and Dom Swire replying.

Reece Heywood scored four times in Southgate Seniors' overwhelming 7-1 win at Boscastle reserves. Tom Wyman, Kevin Hatch and Dan Gregory completed the visitor's tally with Dean Favreau scoring the home consolation.

St.Teath inflicted a surprise defeat on third placed St Minver reserves with the home side winning a feisty game 3-2.

Mike Titchin, Scott Bennett and Karl Elliott scored for St Teath with Connor Bridgway and Ryan Butler replying.

Junior Cup


Lostwithiel reversed their Junior Cup tie to Veryan with their pitch by the River Fowey likely to be out of action for a few weeks and slumped out of the competition, beaten 3-0.

Ollie Young put Veryan ahead with Steve Harris getting the second with a rare goal. His shot from 40 yard deceived Lostwithiel keeper Bill Davies and ended in the net. Craig Phillips put the tie out of reach with the hosts' third.

Pensilva won 3-0 at Pelynt, but the game was much tighter than the scoreline suggests and turned with the introduction of Matt Carter-Brown from the subs bench in the 75th minute.

Carter-Brown opened the scoring when his shot from 18 yards caught a deflection. Pelynt pushed for an equaliser, but were caught twice on the break with Jon Filbey scoring both goals.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters