Login Register

St Austell and district grassroots sport, September 7

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 07, 2012

CHARLESTOWN SAINTS: pictured in their new kit, supplied by May, Whetter and Grose.

Comments (0)

U11 Football


Pictured are Charlestown Saints, who last season achieved the amazing success of the double by winning the Kernow League and the Kernow League Cup in the under 11's age group.

The boys, who are seen in their new kit which has been very kindly supplied by May Whetter and Grose in St Austell, triumphed while playing a style of football that isn't always associated with youth football, with the emphasis on playing attractive football and being comfortable on the ball.

After securing their first league title the boys played Wendron in the Cup final, Wendron played brilliantly and at half time it really could have gone either way but the Charlestown boys showed great fitness and spirit and eventually won 3-2.

Manager John Yelland said: "I am incredibly proud of the boys, they put in the hard work at training and they take on board what we are trying to achieve and they have been rewarded with the League and Cup double, we are really looking forward to next season.

"I also owe a massive thanks to Martin Smith at May Whetter and Grose for supplying kit and jackets for the new season."



Gorran's last home match of the 2012 monsoon cricket season will always be remembered for one of the most brilliant, virtuoso innings ever seen at the ground in its proud history spanning back to the 19th century.

Skipper Robin Kendall smashed a magnificent 146 in Gorran's total of 243, with Beacon then bowled out for 142 to give the home side 20 points and victory by 101 runs.

Given Gorran's New Zealand connections, Kendall in his prime could best be described as a club cricket version of Brendan McCullum. He unleashed a magnificent array of shots all around the ground.

He struck ten towering sixes in a stunning innings which made a mockery of the conditions and brought a tear to his battle hardened grandfather's eye.

Andrew Grant gave him excellent support with a well made 30 to steady the ship after Gorran had been 33 for three.

Kendall took 26 off one over before finally holing out in the deep off Guy Bennett for an unforgettable match-winning knock of 146.

It is a measure of Kendall's brilliance that the last six batsmen in a weakened home side could only muster 26 runs between them.

Gorran won the toss and decided to bat first on the basis that the inevitably damp wicket would remain in favour of the bowlers throughout and the likelihood that the ball would keep low later.

Beacon's opening bowlers David Dowling and Kris Martin swung the new ball prodigiously and a low scoring match seemed on the cards when both Matt House and Jimmy Laming fell caught behind to excellent deliveries.

House batted well in difficult conditions for 19 but Gorran were in serious trouble at 33 for three when Dan Semple was caught in the gulley off Guy Bennett for four.

Kendall and Grant set about repairing the innings but batting still looked a difficult proposition as Jak Hodgkins dropped Kendall in the slips off Kris Martin when he had scored ten.

Shell-shocked Beacon soon found themselves in deep trouble as Chris Kendall found the seaming wicket much to his liking. Bowling down the hill in the absence of James Tomlinson, he knocked over both openers Mellor and Gool courtesy of fine catches by keeper Matt House.

Kendall struck twice again with Jack Thomas bowled out for five and Craig Thomas well caught by Joe Semple for 11. Jak Hodgkins had a bit of fun in the late order for Beacon with a counter attacking 40 but there was now only one result on the cards.

Andrew Grant replicated the work of Chris Kendall from the pavilion end as he polished off the visitors' tail with four wickets of his own in an excellent probing spell.

Rhys Daniel bowled out Hodgkins to complete a comprehensive victory for Gorran.



This week's evening races were moved to Tuesday, so that preparations could be made for the Hawkins Kia Tasar National Championships to be held at the weekend.

The wind for the evening was a Westerly force 2 to 3, allowing some of the faster boats to plane on the reaches.

Following the start, the first boat to reach the windward mark was from the Handicap fleet. Nick Eggert's Contender sailing a lonely race right from the start to take the win.

Right behind Nick were 5 Tasars, all within a few seconds of each other.

Leading these were Jeremy and Suzanne Hawkins, who were followed by visiting competitors Steve and Sarah Cockerill.. In third place were Dennis Bray and Brian Phillips.

During the next reach Jeremy and Suzanne increased their lead, and Lionel Rigby and Ken Fobbester overtook Dennis and Brian to pull into third spot amongst the Tasars.

The 2nd beat developed into a close battle between the Tasars of Jeremy and Suzanne, and Steve and Sarah Cockerill.

The Cockerills, sailing in St Austell bay for the first time, took the lead during this beat, but Jeremy and Suzanne overtook them during the downwind legs and managed to hold the visitors off on the following beats to take the win.

The Cockerills took second place, ahead of Lionel Rigby and Ken Fobbester, who had managed to hold on to their third position.

Handicap fleet: 1st Nick Eggett (Contender); 2nd Paddy Seyler and Steve Coello (RS400); 3rd Tom Bittle (Laser).

Tasar fleet: 1st Jeremy and Suzanne Hawkins; 2nd Steve and Sarah Cockerill; 3rd Lionel Rigby and Ken Fobbester.



The results for the past week are as follows:

Competitions. Tuesday August 28 – Seniors Pairs Competition – 1 score on odd holes and both scores on evens: 1. Bob Wright & Bernard Hamley – 57 pts; 2. Derek Preece & Mike P Rogers – 55 pts; 3. Frank Giles & Archie Batchelor – 54 pts.

Thursday 30th August – Ladies Lye Rose Bowl – Team of Three - Best Score Medal (Picture of winners with Ladies Captain, Christine Brown): 1. Anne Brook, Annie Lund & Jane Churcher – 68; 2. Gill Behennah, Gill Harper & Jean Kindred – 71 c/b; 3. Rosemary Mitchell, June Whiteman & Marion Sutton – 71.

Saturday September 1 – Men's Monthly Medal plus Excelsior Cup, Morlaix Cup, Rabbits Hutch Trophy and Left Handers' Shield. Medal: 1. Mark Bennetts – 57; 2. Adrian Couzens – 65; 3. Malcolm Mills 66 c/b.

Excelsior Cup: 1. Glyn Swiggs – 68; 2. Gary Johns – 70. Morlaix Cup (Seniors): 1. Glyn Swiggs – 68; 2. Terry Coplin – 69; 3. Stan Carter – 70. Rabbits Hutch (20 – 28 Handicap): Winner - Mark Bennetts – 57. Left Hander's Shield: Winner - Steve Myford – 73 c/b.

Sunday September 2 – Mixed Wrye Greensomes: 1. Mary & Stan Carter – 39 c/b; 2. Ann & John Sweet – 39; 3. Sandra & Rob Phillips – 36 c/b.

Matches. Wednesday August 29 – Seniors v Bude, away, lost 3. 1/2 – 4. 1/2.

Finally congratulations to Kerry Bartlett, one of our Juniors, 13 years old, on winning his category of 28-54 in a Junior Open at Bude & North Cornwall.


The ladies had a great 6-1 win at home against Lanhydrock in the County League. Wins were recorded by Gill Smith, Nettie Ewings ,Ann Mee, Carly Johnson, Brenda Morton and Ann Bailey.

With one home match to play the ladies are looking forward to securing their position in division two next year.

Wed Aug 29: Stableford Qualifier(Competition scratch score = 72,(32 pts) – 1 Nettie Ewings 29 pts. 2 c/b Bev Sullivan 29. 3 c/b Julie Bradbury 29.

Wed Aug 8: Juniors s/f – full h/c :- 1 Ben Hocking 34 pts. 2 Liam Miller 31.3 Ben Bond 29.

Tues Aug 28: Seniors s/f - full h/c :- 1 Dave Blackburn 38 pts. 2 Derek Williams 38. 3 Brian Andrew 38.

Wed Aug 29: Captain's Evening – s/f – 7/8 h/c :- 1 Jeremy Hore 22 pts. 2 Vince Averill 22. 3 Tony Kellow 22.

Sun Sept 2: Alan Whale Jug Medal :- Overall winner Adrian Farley gross 89, nett 61. Div.1 – 1 Steve Cheeseman 80 – 64. 2 Peter Bradbury 78 – 65. 3 Lloyd Addison 80 – 65. Div.2 – 1 Bill Bassett 81 – 63. 2 Tom Endean 82 – 64. 3 Neil Goodwin 84 – 65.

Six-a-Side Football



Hotshots 1 Sabma Boys 2

Hotshots started the brighter of the two teams and they took the lead early in the first half thanks to a goal from Dean Dingle. After half time Sabma Boys fought their way back into the game and they equalised thanks to a goal frm Dan Sackey.

The momentum had swung into Samba Boys favour and they capitalised on that, taking the lead through a goal from Scott Buckley.

Chenpump 4 Carpeteers 1

Carpeteers looked to consolidate second place with a win over mid-table Chenpump. However Chenpump weren't there to be run over and they took the lead early on thanks to a high shot into the top corner from Alaa Siam.

Chenpump then doubled their lead thanks to a goal from Adrian Rundle midway through the half.

After half time Carpeteers got back into the game through Craig Phillips but Chenpump restored their two goal lead quickly after as Adrian Rundle scored his second of the game.

Matt Phillips wrapped up the win for Chenpump with a curling shot into the bottom corner.

Gherkins 1 A Team 3

Thirteen is normally considered unlucky but it wasn't for A Team as they made it 13 wins on the bounce with a win over Gherkins.

Martin Sleeman gave A Team the lead with a low strike under the keeper. Gherkins equalised soon after thanks to a goal from Ben Thomas but A Team took the lead again as Martin Sleeman scored his second of the game.

At the start of the second half C. Dingle doubled A Team's advantage which put the game beyond doubt.

La Liga

Parkside Garage 1 Pioneers 0

This game was a relegation six pointer and that reflected in the atmosphere of the game. The first half was a tightly contested affair with few clear cut chances for either side but both sides defended well. After half time Parkside Garage took the lead thanks to a low shot into the corner from Steve Millington.

Young Gunz 1 Keith FC 2

Second played third in this top of the table clash which was a tightly contested game. Keith FC took the lead early on thanks to a goal from Tom Foster but Young Gunz soon equalised.

In the second half Keith F.C were on the front foot as they looked to take the lead. They did just that midway through the second half as Aaron Beresford dribbled past two defenders before slotting the ball into the corner to give Keith FC the win and move them up to second.

Tywardreath 7 Dragonz 0

A win for Tywardreath would see them move level on points with third place whereas Dragonz were looking to move off the bottom of the table.

Scott Buckley gave Tywardreath the lead early on before Will Hood made it 2-0. M Ashton made it 3-0 just before half time with a low shot past the keeper.

After half time Dan Sackey scored twice in quick succession to put Tywardreath in a commanding position. Ashley Cannon made it 6-0 before Dan Sackey rounded off the win by completing his hat-trick.

Real Sosobad 4 Sons of Pitches 2

With Young Gunz dropping points Real Sosobad had the chance to move three points clear at the top of the table with a win over Sons of Pitches.

Hayden Boxhall gave Real Sosobad an early lead before Andy Geach made it 2-0. Sons of Pitches got a goal back before half time to give them a chance in the second half. Real Sosobad restored their two goal lead thanks to Hayden Boxhall's second goal of the game. Sons of Pitches got a goal back again but Craig Phillips sealed the win for Real Sosobad with a high strike past the keeper.


Team Dench 2 Cool Runnings 2

Team Dench could move out of the relegation zone with a win against Cool Runnings.

Team Dench took the lead early on in the game thanks to a high strike into the top corner from Ben Willietts. Cool Runnings equalised midway through the half thanks to a goal from Aaron Beresford.

After half time Team Dench took the lead again, this time thanks to a low strike by Brian Walkham into the bottom corner. However Cool Runnings equalised again as Leon Trudgeon scored to earn a point.

Bogtrotters 3 Whichway 1

Top played bottom in this game as Bogtrotters looked to extend their already vast lead over second place.

However they had to work for the win as Whichway took the lead early on thanks to a powerful strike from Steven Mitchell. Bruce Cockings equalised for Bogtrotters soon after before Josh Martin gave Bogtrotters the lead just before half time.

Bogtrotters extended their lead as Bruce Cockings scored his second goal.

Bethal Boys 0 Team Bring It 1

Both teams were tied in thrid place on points and a win for either side would see them move up to second, if only for one game.

Team Bring it dominated the game early on and took the lead thanks to a deflected shot past the keeper from Christian Turnouth. That was the only clear cut chance of the half and the score was 1-0 at the break.

Team Bring it kept pressing, looking for a goal to make it comfortable. Bethel Boys had chances to equalise but a mixture of poor finishing and good defending ensured the score stayed 1-0.

Cobras 4 City Boys 2

With Team Bring It winning their game, Cobras had to win to take back second place.

Cobras took the lead midway through the first half thanks to a goal from Sean Grose. That was the only action of a tight first half where both sides cancelled each other out.

The game opened up in the second half as Cobras doubled their lead through Cez Igoe before Adam Scott got a goal back for City Boys. Cez Igoe scored his second of the game to restore Cobras' two goal lead before Jamie Smith struck the ball into the bottom corner to make it 4-1.

Adam Scott got his second for City Boys but it wasn't enough.

Serie A

Bin Dippers 6 SMG 2

League leaders Bin Dippers could move eight points clear, with a game in hand, with a win over SMG.

Bin Dippers took the lead early on thanks to a low strike with the outside of the foot, into the corner from Joe Morris. Sam Marchant made it 2-0 before adding another one just before half time.

Sam Walker made it 4-0 after tackling a player, then curling the ball into the top corner from a fair distance. Steve Heap breached Bin Dippers' defence for the first time since the first game of the season as he made it 4-1.

Walker made it 5-1 before Tom Foster made it 5-2. Walker rounded off the win as he completed his hat-trick.

Monster Inkz 5 Bin Dippers 2

It was a tale of two sides of the same team as Bin Dippers, who shone in their previous game, lost their magical touch against Monster Inkz.

MGB gave Monster Inkz the lead within the first minute as Bin Dippers' defence started to leak goals. Sam Marchant equalised for Bin Dippers with a low finish under the keeper.

However Brian Walkham made it 2-1 just before half time. After half time Brian Walkham scored his second of the game before Sam Marchant went on a mazy run before smashing the ball into the top corner to put Bin Dippers back into the game.

Monster Inkz kept attacking and Brian Walkham completed his hat-trick before Ryan Boxhall tapped in a simple finish to complete the win for Monster Inkz and inflict Bin Dippers' first defeat of the season.

Mean Machine 0, Wunder Boys 1

With Monster Inkz winning their game, Wunder Boys had to win to stay in second place, however Mean Machine have built a reputation of being involved in 0-0 draws and Wunder Boys didn't want to fall victim to that.

It looked like they would in the first half as neither side could find a breakthrough due to poor finishing from both sides.

Midway through the second half Wunder Boys managed to find the breakthrough thanks to a low strike from Simon Normington.

FC Denzil 1 The Originals 6

A win for The Originals would see them move up to fourth place and they started the brighter of the two teams as Bobby Long gave them an early lead.

Aaron Beresford then doubled the lead with a powerful strike into the bottom corner after a neat bit of trickery. After half time Bobby Long scored again to make it 3-0 before Joe Richards made it 4-0.

Gary Reynolds got a goal back for FC Denzil before Aaron Beresford scored his second of the game. Bobby Long rounded off the win for the Originals as he completed his hat-trick.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters