A FIVE day inquest has opened into the death of a man who was electrocuted at a farm in Roche.
Jason Morgan, a 33-year-old man from Bristol, was installing safety netting on a steal frame barn extension being built at a beef farm in Great Brynn Barton on Monday, June 13 2011.
He was found at the bottom of an aluminium ladder in full cardiac arrest at around 9.30am after working near three 11,000 volt power cables at the top section of the barn.
Mr Morgan was airlifted to The Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, where he was pronounced dead at 10.40am.
The inquest heard that Mr Morgan died of cardiac arrhythmia caused by electrocution after coming into contact with one of the cables, the nearest of which was just under two metres away from the steel structure.
During a post-mortem an electrical entry burn was discovered on Mr Morgan's left forearm, and what appeared to be an exit wound was also found on his left middle toe.
The inquest heard from Dr Amanda Jeffery, a Home Office registered forensic pathologist, who said the injuries were typical of electrical burns.
Mr Morgan also had bruising to his shoulder and chest, which Dr Jeffery said could not be ruled out as injuries sustained from a fall, however she said these injuries did not contribute to his death.
After the incident a joint investigation was conducted by the Health and Safety Executive and police, including the Major Crime Investigation Team in Bodmin, to ascertain the circumstances of the work-related death.
In March 2012 police arrested a 52-year-old man from Helston and a 45-year-old man from Wadebridge on suspicion of manslaughter and gross negligence, but both were later released without charge.
The inquest continues and is set to end on Friday.