Login Register

Duchy Football League round-up, May 1

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: May 01, 2013

NANPEAN: the Cornish Guardian East Cornwall Premier League division one side. Back row, from left: John Bates (manager), John Orchard, Scott Allen, Dave Collings, Sam Fogerty, Simon Gerrington and Joel Jiminez. Front row: Jake Hughes, Scott Best, Ryan Henderson, Karl Best, Nathan Hugh and Nathan Sussex. Missing from photoshoot: Dave Cloke and Kev Rouse. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

League Cup


Padstow United are through to the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup final after a goalless draw at St Minver in the second leg to win through 2-0 on aggregate.

St Minver looked slightly the better of the two sides with lots of energetic runs and slick passing but failed to put the chances away.

St Minver had three chances cleared off the line, one in the first, two in the second half. Padstow had a chance with an open goal but sent it over the bar.

The second half was just as even with neither side really testing any keeper but solid defending from both kept the score goalless.

Padstow had a chance on the break with five minutes to go, but Chris Andrews the home keeper tipped the ball over the bar.

Premier Division


AFC St Austell moved a step closer to the Premier Division title after gaining a goalless draw in a hotly contested game at Torpoint Athletic.

Fowey United still harbour hopes of retaining their title and on a day when other results went their way, they had no sympathy for St Newlyn East, who they hammered 7-0.

Most of the damage was done in the first half when Fowey put the game out of reach. Josh Frampton and Anthony Hillman scored a brace apiece.

Luke Giles, Sam Marchant and Mark Smith completed the rout against what were the form side in the division.

Mevagissey had a stroll in the park as they beat basement side Calstock 8-1.

The home side scored at regular intervals with Richard James and Adam Trudgeon scoring a brace apiece. The other home goals came from Ben Rothwell, Sam Blount, Chris Dingle and substitute Ryan Lavery.

Calstock were awarded an 84th minute penalty and goalkeeper Tony Holliday stepped up to strike home their consolation.

St Mawgan have an anxious wait to see if they have salvaged their place in the division, but a 2-2 home draw with second placed Saltash United gave them a bonus point from their last game.

Sean Lambart and Chris Leach scored for St Mawgan with Lee Jacketts and Tony Jane replying for Saltash, who appear to have lost their last chance of winning the title.

Probus believe they need two wins to preserve their status as a goalless draw with St Columb Major didn't really help their cause.

Probus hit the bar with five minutes remaining, but their keeper had made a fine save earlier in the game so the result was a fair reflection.

Lamerton beat St Cleer 2-0 with Alex Mayne and Paul Breyley hitting the target.

Division One


Biscovey strengthened their position at the top of Division One after beating Grampound 3-1.

All four goals came from corners. The first was headed in by Martyn Jones in the fifth minute. Another corner led to Nick Isbell scoring the second five minutes later.

Grampound were failing to cope with a series of short corners taken by the home side and from another of these Isbell added his second.

Biscovey switched off on the stroke of half time and from a Grampound corner Jason Retallick hit a neat volley to give them some hope.

The second half frittered out with little happening in typical end of season fare.

Godolphin Atlantic warmed up nicely for tonight's Knockout Cup semi-final clash and improved their promotion hopes following a 5-1 defeat of St Dennis.

Ryan Martin and Ben Colquhoun both hit a brace with Martin Gammon completing their tally. Paul Rowe scored the visitors' consolation.

Looe Town still have outside hopes of promotion, which were boosted by a 5-0 win over one of the other leading group Polperro

Matt Barton was the star with four goals with Danny Carroll adding their remaining goal.

Maker with Rame drew 1-1 at home to St Dominick to help their relegation fight.

Neill Williams put the home side ahead, but to 16-year-olds were involved in the visitors' last minute equalizer. Josh King was fouled in the box and Jack Wray tucked away the penalty to end a scrappy game all square.

Week St Mary stay just above the bottom two after losing 3-2 at home to Pensilva.

Week scored through Kenny Gunningham-Hale and an own goal. Goals from Jon Filbey, Zak Peel and Sam Rogers gave Pensilva the spoils.

Division Two


St Breward are still fighting for survival from Division Two after suffering a 1-0 home loss to Sticker.

In a competitive game, St Breward failed to trouble the Sticker keeper, and it was typical of the visitors' season that in a game they dominated there was only one goal to show for their efforts.

The score was level at the interval with Sticker virtually camped in the home half after the break, but chances were missed or wasted at regular intervals.

Luke Perkes, running in from the right, blasted home what proved the winner midway through the second half.

Division Three


Roche are relegated from Division Three after a 7-2 defeat at Camelford, which also preserves the home side's place for next season.

Ian Marks and Craig Thompson both hit hat-tricks for Camelford with Jamie Burnett adding their other goal. Craig Tamblyn and Richard Higgins were the visitors' scorers.

Division Four


St Teath remain bottom of Division Four, but did pick up a point from a 3-3 draw at Gunnislake reserves.

Mike King, Kieren Jasper and Norton Boultby scored for Gunnislake with Mike Titchen, Tom Chapman and Matt Mountain replying.

St Neot finished their season knowing only a win would keep their outside title hopes alive. They had a disastrous start at Gorran going two down in the first ten minutes.

Guy Widdows scored the first followed by a Jack Bray-Smith penalty. St Neot pulled the game level by half time and scored three times without reply in the second half.

A Dan Chapman brace and goals from Adam Gregory, Ryan Chapman and Andy Tamblyn take them top, but knowing that overnight leaders North Hill have four games left to play.

At least they can celebrate guaranteed promotion.

Lifton can't now gain automatic promotion despite their 3-1 defeat of Pensilva reserves.

Tom Ellacott scored a brace with Andy Wills adding their other goal. Nathan Deighton replied for Pensilva.

Grampound reserves moved nearer safety after beating Wadebridge Town 2-1.

The visitors went one up after a neat one-two ended with Richard Dunstan chipping the home keeper, but Grampound equalised when a Matt Skews cross was nodded in by Rob Sharpe.

Grampound felt aggrieved in the second half when a penalty shout was ignored by the referee, but they were much later awarded a soft penalty.

Ryan Orchard had the spot kick saved but followed up to hit the winner.

Division Five


Division Five champions Veryan are now just one game away from going through the season unbeaten after humbling Pelynt reserves 8-0 away from home.

Justin Trebilcock and Martin Bishop scored a brace apiece with Tom Allen, Bobby-Lee Johns and Ollie Young adding a goal each and the other goal coming off a home defender.

Boscastle reserves look as if they will avoid re-election after thrashing St Newlyn East reserves 6-0.

Jon Bosley scored a brace with Dean Favreau, Henry Bright, Sam Haddy and Matthew Pethick completing the rout.

St Mawgan reserves were beaten 5-0 at home by North Petherwin reserves. Glenn Charnock, Adam Nelson, James Lobb, Lee Robinson and Scott Crichton were the scorers.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters