Login Register

Lillywhites edged out by Parkway in thriller at Bolitho

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 02, 2013

Comments (0)

ST AUSTELL were denied the chance to go joint top of the premier division table as title rivals Plymouth Parkway maintained their winning start to the season at Bolitho Park.

Dan Nancarrow's Lillywhites proved more than a match for their hosts in an entertaining encounter, but somehow they found themselves trailing 3-0 inside 50 minutes.

It wasn't until the 28th minute that the deadlock was broken when Levi Landricombe beat Jason Chapman with a low effort.

Landricombe had the ball in the back of the net again in the 33rd minute but this time he was denied by a flag for offside.

But five minutes later Chapman was beaten legitimately by Danny Lewis' superb low effort from 20 yards out.

St Austell were desperately unlucky not to pull a goal back in the second half when Chris Reski clipped the top of the Parkway bar.

And much to the Lillywhites' frustration they fell further behind moments later when Lewis headed home Landricombe's cross in the 50th minute.

St Austell's hard work was finally rewarded when Nancarrow finished well after good work by Danny Carne.

Hero Landricombe then turned villain when he was sent off after receiving his second booking.

And there was more drama when Parkway were awarded a penalty, only for Will Stringer to smash his spot kick off the bar.

A depleted Camelford side were beaten 3-1 at home to Witheridge on Saturday. Camels' boss Reg Hambly handed debuts to five players, including 17-year-old goalkeeper George Bolan. Despite their problems, Camelford stood up well in the first half, as Witheridge struggled to deal with the wind behind them.

However, the Camels found themselves trailing in the second half when Jack Langford fired home for Witheridge.

The home side fell further behind as Steve Ebdy headed past Bolan.

And Camelford's young goalkeeper was picking the ball out of the net again when the ever dangerous Jordan Charran showed his class with a good finish.

Camelford gained some reward for their effort when Ryan Pooley was set up by Andy Boxall to score, but it proved too little, too late.

Danny Zalick scored twice as St Blazey returned to winning ways at home to Tavistock on Saturday.

Bobby Oaten's men, who were thrashed 6-0 at Plymouth Parkway in the FA Carlsberg Vase seven days earlier, provided the perfect response at Blaise Park, with recent signing Lewis Prince and Paddy West also on target for the hosts.

There were 18 minutes played when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after Zalick was brought down in the box. The striker picked himself up to give Blazey the lead.

With half-time approaching Zalick claimed his second goal of the afternoon when he latched on to Ashley Piggott's through ball before beating Lambs' goalkeeper Dean Smith.

Prince made it 3-0 in the 55th minute with a good finish past Smith after Tavistock failed to deal with a corner.

The visitors pulled a goal back through Jarryd Kelly's far post effort, but St Blazey responded by going 4-1 up when Piggott's corner was headed home by West.

Tavistock did manage to pull another goal back when Lee Blatchford finished well from 25 yards out.

After two defeats, Launceston gained a morale boosting win to deny an in-form Saltash United side the chance to move up to joint second in the table.

For Leigh Cooper's Clarets it was a win that took them up to third spot, two points behind leaders Ivybridge.

Sam Davey grabbed the only goal of the game in the second half when he sent his effort from Sam Scott's cross past Ashes' goalkeeper Lee Carew.

Davey could have added a second when he found space on the edge of the box only to send his effort wide of Carew's goal.

Bodmin Town were left frustrated when their scheduled league game at Elmore was postponed in mid morning because of a waterlogged pitch at the Tiverton-based club.

Heavy overnight rain and the prospect of more downpours led Elmore to call in a referee to have a look at the conditions at 10am, and he decided the pitch was unplayable.

Despite heavy rain in many parts of Devon, this was the only game in the Peninsula League which was postponed.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters