Login Register

Girl, 16, assaulted in an alley by Stuart Olson, 31

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 17, 2013

A MAN given a suspended jail term for violence at a Gunnislake residential home in the autumn has been jailed for 60 days after admitting assaulting a teenage girl in an alleyway back in March.

Gail Hawkley, for the prosecution, told Bodmin magistrates the 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been "very scared" by the behaviour of 31-year-old Stuart Olson, who has mental health issues and an alcohol problem,

Because he had been in custody at HMP Exeter since November 7 on the assault charge, Olson was likely to be released almost immediately, the court heard, and was expected to return to Cornwall where social services would find him accommodation.

Olson, who appeared before the court via video link on Friday, was also handed an indefinite restraining order prohibiting him from going to the Woodlands Care Home in Drakewalls, Gunnislake, in order to protect staff there.

A charge of using threatening behaviour towards Stuart Roach on October 12, which Olson had denied, was dismissed when the prosecution offered no evidence.

The assault on the girl happened on March 28 in Sittingbourne, Kent, said Mrs Hawkley.

Olson stepped out in the alleyway, causing the girl to move aside. He then took out one of her earphones, asked to see inside her folder and then threw it to the ground, raising his clenched fist at her. She screamed and he held up his fist again before taking hold of both of her hands.

The girl said: "Don't touch me" and Olson told her to be quiet, adding: "I'm not going to hurt you; I just want some information." He then repeatedly asked for information about her family and told her: "Come with me".

When she asked where they were going, he pointed to a cemetery and said: "In there." Olson then allowed her to phone her mother, and she came to collect her.

The girl later said: "I felt very scared throughout the ordeal and felt I would get attacked and seriously hurt."

Paul Burley, for the defence, conceded it was "an extremely serious matter" but said Olson had little recollection of it as he was "wrestling with alcohol addiction" and extremely drunk at the time. He had believed the girl was someone he knew. Olson was keen to address his problems, said Mr Burley.

The chairman of the bench, Judy Hultgren, told Olson: "This is so serious only custody is justified. You put an under-age female victim in serious fear."

The court was told Olson remained subject to a 180-day prison sentence, suspended for two years, and an alcohol treatment order, imposed by Bodmin magistrates on October 10 for criminal damage, threatening behaviour and assaults at Woodlands.

Read more from Cornish Guardian