Login Register

Wadebridge pensioner Lynn Hudson thanks fire service after Carbon Monoxide scare

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 09, 2014

FULL OF PRAISE: Lynne Hudson of Wadebridge with her carbon monoxide alarm.

Comments (0)

A WADEBRIDGE pensioner has praised the fire service after undergoing a carbon monoxide scare during the middle of the night.

Lynn Hudson, 86, of Town Quay, was shocked when her carbon monoxide alarm went off at 3.30am and, after some thought, she called the emergency services.

"I was shocked when the alarm went off so, after some deliberation and lots of fresh air from the balcony, I decided it would be better if I reported it to someone," Mrs Hudson said.

"So I rang 999 and the operator asked me which service I wanted and I said I wasn't sure, so I was put through to the police who got the fire service on the line and I repeated my story. Within a few minutes I had a fire engine outside my door and the angels took over. They thoroughly checked everything and I was so pleased that I had rung them.

"It turned out that there wasn't a leak and that the battery had run out, and as I had a spare one they got everything set up perfectly."

Mrs Hudson urged people to invest in the £15 cost of a carbon monoxide alarm after ten people were treated for carbon monoxide inhalation in East Cornwall across January.

Two people from Lanivet had to be hospitalised after showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning three weeks ago and several people from Lanteglos, Bude, Tintagel and St Germans also required treatment following similar incidents.

Mrs Hudson said she was extremely grateful for the help of the fire service after the scare.

She said: "I would like to thank them, and all public servants, for their patience and help to people like me. What would we do without them all?"

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters