Login Register

Football: Sticker v Dobwalls match report February 12

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 12, 2014

Comments (0)

NINE months after suffering the heartache of losing to Sticker in the Cornwall Charity Cup final, Dobwalls took revenge at a wet and windy Burngullow Park on Saturday.

Paul Andrews' men are now just 90 minutes away from a second successive cup final appearance in May following a thoroughly deserved 3-1 victory – the same scoreline they were on the end of when Sticker lifted the trophy at Truro City's Treyew Road last year.

While many weekend fixtures were again wiped out by the latest storms to hit the county, Burngullow Park once again failed to bow to the elements.

And even come full-time, and following a heavy downpour early in the second half, the pitch was still in reasonably good condition.

With such strong winds too, few would have expected to witness what turned out to be an entertaining game of football, which both sides deserve credit for.

But it was Dobwalls who dealt with the conditions better, with Sticker, without suspended skipper Bradley Ralph and Jack Walker, not at their best.

Striker Martyn Hake adapted better than anybody, and it was his ninth minute strike that set Dobwalls on the way to victory.

Harry Hook claimed the visitors' second on 75 minutes, before substitute Joe Knight completed the scoring for Andrews' men in injury time.

Jake Street's goal moments later was little more than a consolation for Andy Avery's side.

Victory for Dobwalls continues what has so far been a very good season, with the club riding high in division one west, where they are currently third in the league table.

Andrews said: "I thought we were the better side throughout. We played some good football in the first half. I wasn't sure how it was going to go in the second half with the wind, but I thought we defended really well."

Saturday's win did come at a cost, however, as Dobwalls lost skipper Steve Tapper after only 22 minutes to a recurrence of an ankle injury.

His withdrawal meant an early and unexpected introduction for Joe Eke, who is only just returning to the first-team picture following injury.

Andrews added: "We lost our captain early doors and the lad who came on, Joe Eke, has been out for weeks, so to play 70 minutes in the way he did is a big plus for us."

Avery, meanwhile, admitted Dobwalls' deep lying approach made it difficult for his side to create chances.

He said: "Where you look at where the possession was, a lot of it was in their half and we allow defences to sit deep on us. We're better when the other teams play higher up. When we come up against teams who sit back we really struggle to get in behind them.

"Dobwalls made it difficult for us, but we just weren't good enough today. We can't break teams down like that at the moment unfortunately.

"If you can't get shots on goal then you don't win games. Simple as that.

"We'll take another look at things in training and hopefully we can put it right."

Hake showed his goalscoring prowess, volleying Dobwalls into a ninth minute lead after Shaun Jones' deflected cross fell kindly for the striker at the back post.

And following a lengthy stoppage, as Tapper received treatment for an ankle injury, Hook was unlucky not to double his side's lead when he turned and fired wide on the half hour.

Hake came close to adding to his tally in the second half when his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Sticker substitute Sam Kenny.

But finally, on 75th minutes, Dobwalls did double their advantage when Hook pounced on an error by Sticker goalkeeper Ryan Holland to score from a tight angle.

And just moments after his introduction substitute Knight fired home into the bottom corner in the first minute of stoppage time.

Street pulled a goal back for Sticker straight from the restart but it was too little, too late for the cup holders.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters