Login Register

Football: Sticker hit five to forget about their cup woes

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 19, 2014

  • DING-IED: Sticker's Liam Dingle sees his first half penalty saved by Bude goalkeeper Gary Dinshaw. by Tom Last.

Comments (0)

ANDREW Avery wanted a response from his players following their Cornwall Charity Cup exit seven days earlier, and that's exactly what he got at Burngullow Park on Saturday.

The Sticker boss was bitterly disappointed at the manner of their defeat to Dobwalls – the side they beat to win the competition last season.

At the weekend he chose to drop himself to the bench, with skipper Bradley Ralph available following suspension, and take up a watching brief on his starting XI.

And while he was still not completely satisfied with the performance, he was able to take great heart from the clinical finishing of his side.

Whereas Dobwalls sat back, preventing Sticker from getting in behind them, an inexperienced Bude team, missing three of their four defenders, took up a high line, and that allowed the hosts to benefit according to Avery.

He said: "I'm much happier this week, but I wasn't too happy about being a goal down so early in the game.

"After that we got a little better, but I was still disappointed with aspects of the first half.

"We cleared a few things at half-time and there was a bit more intent in our play in the second half.

"They defended a bit higher and that gave us that room to get in behind them. We struggled last week because Dobwalls sat back. Bude were much higher and that worked in our advantage."

Bude manager Andrew Haines won't have lost too much sleep after Saturday's result, when you consider the selection problems he had to contend with.

Several first-team players pulled out on the morning of the game, leaving Haines to name just one substitute, third team player Dan Olde.

Haines admitted the likes of Wayne Cornish, Dan Starkey, Tommy Statton and Jordan Wood were big misses at the weekend.

The Bude boss said: "Considering we had five out today I thought we did very well. Only one of the back four was a first-team regular so we were up against it from the start.

"We did what we had to do, discipline, shape and I thought we did it very well in the first half.


"I can't really fault the lads today. Of course, we are very disappointed with the result, but the lads fought until the very end today. It's just a shame we conceded a couple of late goals because I think that probably flattered them."

Despite the latest spell of bad weather the Burngullow Park pitch was again in excellent condition as every other premier division and division one west fixture fell to the elements.

It didn't start so well for Sticker, who welcomed back skipper Ralph from suspension, as Chris Hill smashed the ball home in the sixth minute to give Bude the lead.

Sticker were presented with an opportunity to level in the 17th minute when referee Barry Jackson pointed to the spot after Matt Lloyd was tripped in the box by Josh Allen.

But Liam Dingle's spot kick down the middle was pushed over the bar by Bude goalkeeper Gary Dinshaw.

However, Dinshaw was beaten two minutes later when Andrew Butler unleashed a brilliant 25 yard volley into the roof of the net.

Then, with 29 minutes played, Butler beat Dinshaw at the end of a marauding run towards the Bude penalty area to put the hosts 2-1 up.

Bude fought well, despite Haines' selection problems, and it wasn't until the 69th minute that Sticker scored a third when Matt Lloyd chipped the ball past the outrushing Dinshaw.

And three minutes later the impressive Lloyd claimed his second of the afternoon, rounding Dinshaw and rolling the ball into an empty net.

Young midfielder Jack Bowyer completed the rout with five minutes remaining with an easy close range header from player-manager Avery's knock back across the face of goal.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters