Login Register

Football: St Austell v Godolphin Atlantic

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 18, 2013

Comments (0)

DEREK Martin must be immensely proud to call this Godolphin Atlantic side his own after watching Saturday's battling victory at Poltair Park.

Few teams come to St Austell and get an easy ride and in atrocious weather conditions Martin's men really had to dig deep for this victory.

They trailed to Carl Rickard's first half strike, but with the wind behind them in the second half, goals from Ollie Pinnell and Jake Hartigan inside the opening ten minutes wrapped up the points for the G-Men.

And Martin could not have been more pleased by the manner of Saturday's win.

Godolphin have built a reputation in recent years for playing slick, passing football. But they had to show an ugly side at the weekend and to outfight a St Austell side that is ferociously competitive at home makes this result all the more impressive.

Martin said: "I'm absolutely delighted with the lads, I thought they were magnificent from the first whistle.

"I thought we battled well in the first half against the wind, we were undone by a great goal, but after that there was a really good response from the lads.

"We came out in the second half and got the early goal, which was important. We then scored the second I thought we battled so well until the end in difficult conditions."

A one-goal lead was always going to be difficult for the hosts to hold on to and Martin was delighted with the way his side battled against the elements to keep themselves in the contest.

He added: "I was happy at one-nil down and I thought we were in a good place for the second half.

"We showed we could battle and fight against a strong, physical team.

"You've got to have that in this division, you can't just rely on playing good football.

"The lads are always willing to work hard and there was no quarter given today, they were determined to get something and they got the result in the end."

Rickard's well worked goal against his old club was all St Austell had to show for all their possession and probing in the final third.

And Lillywhites' boss Phil Lafferty admitted his side's failure to make more of their chances ultimately cost them.


He said: "We chose to kick the way we did because we thought we could do them damage and have the game wrapped up, similar to this time last week against Perranporth.

"We put them under a lot of pressure in the first half in very difficult conditions but we didn't take our chances.

"You've got to be more deadly in front of goal. We had enough of the ball, we were just missing that killer touch in front of goal. It's cost us today.

"We weren't switched on for the first goal from the corner and then we're chasing our tails a little bit and they're in the ascendancy.

"I thought we actually played the better football today, but at the turn of the half the weather really came in and Godolphin got their noses in front.

"All of a sudden everything went against us, the ball just wouldn't fall for us and I think Godolphin probably just shaded the battle today."

As rain swept in for the second half, Godolphin had the game wrapped up within ten minutes of the restart.

First, with 47 minutes played, Ollie Pinnell stabbed the ball in at the back post from Hartigan's inswinging corner.

And it was former St Austell man Hartigan who scored the all-important winner in the 55th minute, tapping home from close range after Jason Chapman could only parry Luke Rigby's effort.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters