Login Register

Football: Launceston, Liskeard, Newquay and Sticker reports

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 11, 2013

Comments (0)

Launceston 4 Liskeard 0

LISKEARD Athletic are fast approaching crunch time in their efforts to maintain a team in the Peninsula League – and results on the field are not helping.

Paul Blatchford's Blues crashed to a 4-0 defeat at Launceston on Saturday, only four days after being humbled 4-1 at home by a Falmouth team who had lost their previous six premier division games.

And the club's disciplinary record is concerning, having had three players sent off already. On Saturday, three of the goals they conceded were penalties.

Liskeard, who were due to travel to second-placed Ivybridge last night and are at home to St Austell on Saturday, are still searching for their first win of the campaign, having lost seven of their nine games.

But Launceston continue to impress and this was their fifth win in seven league games, helped on their way by a first half Sam Davey hat-trick, with two of the goals coming from the penalty spot.

Chris Saunders completed the scoring 15 minutes from time with Launceston's third penalty.

Newquay 3 Cullompton 0

NEWQUAY made hard work of seeing off bottom of the table Cullompton at Mount Wise on Saturday.

It took the Peppermints until the 44th minute to break the deadlock when Luke Weldhen finished off Ollie Gibson's cross.

But the home side stepped up the momentum in the second half and further goals were added by Weldhen (61) and Paul Hampshire (83).

Alan Carey's side will need to be at their best this Saturday when leaders Exmouth Town are the visitors.

Division One West:

Sticker 5 Vospers OV 1

STICKER made it six wins out of six on Saturday when they turned on the style to beat previously unbeaten Vospers at Burngullow Park.

And the early leaders will have been encouraged that the goals came from five different players.

Liam Dingle and Bradley Ralph strikes established a two-goal lead before the half-hour, and although Darren Ware reduced the arrears soon after, Jake Street put Sticker in firm control before the break.

Sticker added further goals through Matt Lloyd (56) and Jack Bowyer (72) to complete a very impressive victory.

Callington moved up to third with a 2-1 win at St Dennis courtesy of a 79th minute winner from Luke Avis-Riordan.

St Dennis had taken the lead through Carl Rickard (34) but Kirk Smith equalised after half-time.

Freddie Williams scored both goals as Porthleven won 2-1 at Lantoom Park against Dobwalls, whose goal came from Adam Hill.

Bude's tough baptism continued with a 7-1 defeat at Penryn. Dave Yewson scored a late consolation for the visitors.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters