Login Register

Football: Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division review March 5

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 05, 2014

Comments (0)

LAUNCESTON missed the chance to go top of the premier division as leaders Exmouth Town came from behind to earn a share of the points at Southern Road on Saturday.

The Clarets remain fourth in the table after Ace High's 66th minute strike cancelled out Sam Davey's first half penalty.

After Lance Easton was denied by Chris Wright, the home keeper was beaten in the 18th minute when Davey made no mistake from the penalty spot after a push in the area.

After Lloyd Gardner's effort was blocked, High was on hand to fire the ball home and earn the home side a point.

Newquay produced one of the results of the weekend, winning 3-1 away to high-flying Witheridge.

The Peppermints had to come from behind after the hosts took an early lead in controversial circumstances. After the referee turned down appeals for a Newquay penalty following a collision between Matt Drummond and Witheridge goalkeeper Joe Tickle, the home side broke away to take the lead through Steve Ebdy.

Newquay responded well, though, and were level after 20 minutes when Drummond headed past Tickle.

The striker then put the visitors 2-1 up when he sent another header past Tickle.

And Dan Jennings made sure of an impressive victory when he broke clear to slot the ball home.

Ten goals were scored at Elmore on Saturday as Torpoint Athletic won 7-3 in a thrilling encounter at Horsden Park.

After Ben Applegate's fourth minute opener for Torpoint was cancelled out by James Blake, the visitors raced into a 3-1 lead thanks to goals from Darren Hicks and a second from Applegate.

When Hicks scored two more early in the second half to complete his hat-trick, Torpoint looked well on course for victory.

But Elmore had other ideas and goals from Blake and Liam Pike gave the home side hope of a dramatic fightback.

However, further goals from player-manager Bradley Yeo and Applegate, to complete his hat-trick, allayed any fears for the visitors in an extraordinary game.

St Austell eased to a 5-1 victory at Bovey Tracey on Saturday.

Christian Pople had given the Lillywhites a ninth minute lead, only for Bovey to draw level when Luke Durham finished from close range.

Mike Body fired home in the 34th minute to put St Austell 2-1 up at the break.

Midway through the second half two quickfire goals put Phil Lafferty's men in control, with Dan Lean and Carl Rickard finding the net to make it 4-1.

Lean then claimed his second, this time from the penalty spot, to complete a comfortable victory.

Despite a big improvement recently, bottom of the table Liskeard Athletic were no match for Godolphin Atlantic at Lux Park at the weekend.

Jake Hartigan fired home after 15 minutes to give the G-Men the lead, which was doubled when Aaron Dilley curled home a free kick.

Dilley scored again in the second half to seal a deserved win for Derek Martin's men.

St Blazey, who were forced to play defender Andy van Evelingen in goal, fought from behind to beat Cullompton Rangers 2-1.

Van Evelingen was beaten in the 21st minute when Dean Stamp struck.

But St Blazey turned it around to win, thanks to goals from Danny Zalick and Lewis Coombes.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters