Login Register

Football: Duchy League review December 4

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: December 04, 2013

FLYING:  As Padstow's Ali Johnston tries to score, some aerial acrobatics by St Mawgan keeper Ian Carmichael  foils his effort. But Johnston was among the scorers in Padstow's 5-0 win in the division one fixture   by David Flower.

FLYING: As Padstow's Ali Johnston tries to score, some aerial acrobatics by St Mawgan keeper Ian Carmichael foils his effort. But Johnston was among the scorers in Padstow's 5-0 win in the division one fixture by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Knockout Cup


Pensilva are through to a home quarter-final tie with Lostwithiel in the KMD Developments KO Cup after beating Altarnun 2-0 in a second round tie.

The first half was a stalemate with Altarnun going closest, but Sam Smith saw his effort well saved by Richard Rendle.

Pensilva were the better side after the break and took the lead midway through the half with a great individual goal from Jon Filbey. They clinched the tie with ten minutes to go after a flowing team move ended with Filbey's second.

Premier Division


There was just one premier division game and it featured no goals as St Cleer and Lamerton both failed to trouble the scorers.

Division One


North Petherwin went top of Division One after beating Looe Town 3-2.

This was a fine game between two teams determined to claim the points. Matt Barton scored both Looe goals.

The first a penalty just after half time and his second on the hour mark. Petherwin claimed the spoils with goals from Kenny Channing, Josh Sanders and Callum Reeve.

St Dennis and Calstock drew 2-2. Courtney Rowe and San Fogarty scored for St Dennis. Fogarty also put through his own net for the visitors with Jan Humphrey claiming their other goal.

Padstow beat local rival St Mawgan 5-0, going ahead in the first minute when Simon Press played in Cameron Wickins, who just managed to get his toe to the ball before the on rushing Mawgan keeper.

Padstow were playing some nice football but struggled to find a second goal which their play deserved. The second goal eventually came when the away side failed to deal with a corner and the ball fell to Wickins who blasted the ball beyond the keeper.

Padstow were in complete control and added a third when Wickins failed with an audacious overhead kick and the ball fell kindly to Ali Johnston who struck an unstoppable shot past the outstretched keeper.

St Mawgan came out for the second half and really started to play. They could have scored themselves had it not been for some great saves from Rob Elliott in the Padstow goal.

The home side were still creating chances of their own but a combination of good defending and poor decision making in front if goal kept the score down.

Padstow added a fourth when Wickins found space on the right and his deep cross was met by Man of the match Russ McOwen and his header beat the keeper at the far post.

McOwen quickly added to his tally after some neat play in midfield he broke through and coolly slotted past the keeper to complete a 5-0 win.

Division Two


Holywell/Cubert Athletic had an easy afternoon winning their Division Two clash with Gunnislake 5-0.

Peter Bruce scored a brace with James Nettleton, Lachlan Brace and Ashley Williams completing their tally. Only fine goalkeeping kept the score from being even greater.

St Breward were denied by a superb goalkeeping display by Jay Fuller as their derby clash with Boscastle ended goalless. This was a typical feisty affair, which neither side could quite get the better of.

LC Phoenix defeated Gerrans & St Mawes United 6-1. Joe Davis scored a brace with Harry Marsh, Josh Barron, Leon Fowler and Bradley Stokes completing the home tally.

These are difficult times at Week St Mary as they struggle to put sides together, but they bravely travelled to face the Premier Sixes scoring machine where they were beaten 11-2.

The defeat would have been even greater but for some good goalkeeping. The league's leading scorer Martyn Probert scored a hat trick, but didn't celebrate two of the goals that were fluky after some brave goalkeeping received no rewards.

Craig Harvey scored four, Josh Mitchell and Ben Lawrence scored one apiece with Karl Olander adding a brace, one a penalty.

Division Three


Callington Town, the form side of Division Three, suffered a bit of a setback at lowly Lanreath when held goalless.

This was a cracking game, producing the host's best display of the season. Callington thought they had won a penalty two minutes from time, but the referee waived away their appeals and they had to settle for just the one point.

North Hill won the battle of two of the top three, winning 4-3 at Welcome Inn. Jake Blyth scored a brace with Ross Willcock adding the other home goal.

Jason Ridgment scored a brace for North Hill with Jason Mountain and Gavin Swift completing their scoring as they opened a small gap at the top of the league.

Queens Rangers beat Delabole United with Lee Garcia scoring the only goal five minutes into the second half.

The real talking point revolved around the referee, who sent off three Delabole players and one from Queens in a game that didn't show that much passion.

St Stephen reserves had a fine 4-1 victory over Stoke Climsland. In a very tight first half with chances and tackles flying in St Stephen went ahead in the 37th minute when Kyle Willmott turned and shot from 20 yards with his right foot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The second half started and in the 53rd minute Ashley Gates came off feeling unwell he was replaced by Dean Yelland then in the 61st minute Jamie Bullock was replaced by Gareth Warne and the home side were much brighter.

In the 65th minute Matthew Spry scored when he rounded the keeper and tapped the ball into an empty net, and ten minutes later a long run down the left from Daniel Allen was rewarded with a goal when defensive mistakes let him in to score.

In the 88th minute Gareth Warne scored the fourth, but in added time a Jason Prynne foul gave Stoke a penalty from which they scored their consolation.

St Neot continued their push up the table with a 2-1 defeat of Lanivet Inn. Matt Lorenz and Connor Stone scored for St Neot with Mike Hancock replying.

Division Four


St Cleer reserves move up to second in Division Four after a controversial 5-4 win at Grampound reserves.

The game was tied 4-4 going into the last five minutes. Peter Thomas had scored a hat trick for Grampound with Will Watson getting their other goal from a cross come shot.

Darren Harvey, Zak Peel, Liam Donaghy and Alex Roberts had scored for St.Cleer.

Shane Weeks hit what the home side thought was the winner when his shot hit the underside of the bar and appeared to just cross the goal line. Unfortunately the referee was unsighted and couldn't give the goal as St Cleer hurriedly cleared the ball away.

The home side were then caught with a sucker punch and conceded an own goal winner.

Gorran won their derby with Mevagissey 3-1. Sam Blount put the visitors ahead in the 33rd minute, but Jack Bray-Smith equalised on the stroke of half time.

Dan Vine gave the host's a 60th minute lead with Bray-Smith scoring his second ten minutes from time.

Tintagel won 8-4 at bottom side Roche.

Division Five


St Minver reserves thrashed Boscastle reserves, hitting ten without reply, to go equal second in Division Five.

Conor Bridgway and Steve Wootton scored a hat trick apiece with Kevin Allen, Kelvin Hayes, Callum Wilson and Jamie Witts completing the rout.

Royal Par are within two points of the top after a 3-2 win at St Mawgan reserves. Aaron Greenwood and Richard Burton scored for St Mawgan, but goals from Dean Dingle, Mark Nagle and Adam Hayne leave the visitors in dreamland.

Tregrehan Mills beat St Teath 3-1. Dom Swire fired them ahead in the 20th minute with a thirty-yard drive into the top corner.

St Teath passed up a chance to equalise when they put a penalty wide of the post before Tregrehan added a second with a breakaway goal from Tom Adams.

St Teath pulled a goal back with a well taken goal from the edge of the area to leave the game well balanced at half time.

The second half saw the home team dominate. They peppered the St Teath goal, but only scored once when Swire tucked away a penalty kick.

St Newlyn East reserves were beaten 4-0 at home by Pelynt reserves although they started quite brightly in the opening ten minutes.

Pelynt hit them with two quick breakaway goals to stem the home enthusiasm. Newlyn were again quick out of the blocks after the break, but Pelynt scored their third quite quickly and heads dropped.

The home side battled on before conceding a penalty ten minutes from time for the visitors fourth.

Junior Cup


St Dominick came from two down to Torpoint Athletic to cause a major upset in the Cornwall Junior Cup with two late goals giving them a 3-2 away win.

Torpoint were two ahead with goals from Rob Edwards and Tom Rothwell when Corey Nesbitt got on the end of a Michael White cross to pull a goal back.

Torpoint were still leading with just four minutes remaining when Karl Whitehead headed an equaliser. Adam Keith gave the visitors a stunning victory in the last minute when he blasted in a 40 yard free kick.

Veryan also dispatched higher division opponents with Justin Trebilcock scoring a hat trick in a 5-1 defeat of Edgcumbe. Kai Pearce and Wayne Balsdon completed the scoring.

St Columb Major are through after a 4-1 win at AFC Bodmin. Jason Rid gave them the lead, but Bodmin equalised from the spot.

Jamie Seery restored the visitors lead before two late goals from Alex Bicknell and Tom Ball confirmed the Premier club's passage.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters