Login Register

Football: Bude Town fight back to earn point against Helston Athletic

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 19, 2014

Comments (0)

BUDE Town produced one of the performances of the weekend, coming back from two goals down to draw 3-3 with promotion-chasing Helston Athletic.

Charlie Young opened the scoring for the Blues, before George Molcher scored a second to leave Bude a seemingly impossible task.

But after Chris Hill pulled a goal back they were given further hope when Helston had midfielder Jamie Thomson sent off following a second yellow card.

And they made the extra man count in the second half when Billy Hopcroft drew the hosts level. They were dealt a blow, however, when Hopcroft was shown a straight red card for comments made to the officials.

The decision buoyed Helston, who regained the lead through Ash Stidwell.

But there was still time for one last twist when, in injury time, Adam Smith scored a dramatic equaliser.

Sticker were knocked off the top of the table following a 2-1 defeat at Truro City.

Two late goals proved Sticker's undoing after they had taken a 75th minute lead through Jack Bowyer's penalty.

A Danny Ford header drew City level in the 82nd minute and there was a further blow for Sticker in injury time when Ford scored his second goal, another header, as the visitors surrendered their lead at the top to Mousehole.


Callington Town came from behind to defeat Perranporth 4-1 at Ginsters Marshfield Parc.

Town trailed to Craig Barclay's 28th minute strike, but they were level after the break when Sam Stevens headed home Fergus Nevin's cross.

Stevens was on target again to put Callington in front and he completed his hat-trick in the 76th minute.

Ryan Lucassi grabbed Callington's fourth goal with full-time approaching to keep their promotion hopes alive.

St Dennis enjoyed a 3-1 win at Penzance, though they rode their luck against the struggling Magpies, who hit the woodwork three times at Penlee Park.

The Saints took a 20th minute lead through Lee Rickard, only for Penzance to level minutes later when Tom Petterill fired home.

A Dave Rickard free kick put St Dennis back in front and a Lee Rickard penalty made sure of victory for the visitors.

Not even the second half dismissal of Vospers Oak Villa's Lee Card could prevent Foxhole Stars from going down to a 2-0 defeat at Weston Mill.

The Foxes were unfortunate to fall behind in the 13th minute when Steve Blackburn's header came off Foxhole defender Alex Moorcroft and into his own net.

Villa were reduced to ten men in the 56th minute when Card was shown a straight red card following a challenge on Brett Cole.

Despite the extra man, Foxhole failed to take advantage and it was Blackburn who made sure of victory for the hosts when he poked the ball in from a narrow angle.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters