Login Register

Fatal cancer caused by asbestos

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: September 25, 2013

Comments (0)

A BODMIN man died from a form of lung cancer – as a result of exposure to asbestos more than 50 years ago, an inquest has heard.

Thomas Edmund McFadden of Tredanek Close, died on March 20 of this year at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, in Truro.

An inquest into the 69-year-old's death, at Truro Coroner's Court on Thursday last week, heard that he had been diagnosed with mesothelioma – a form of lung cancer strongly associated with asbestos exposure – in 2012, and had deteriorated quite quickly.

Shortly before his death, Mr McFadden decided to move from his home of Liverpool to Cornwall to be closer to his daughter and other family.

Mr McFadden was admitted to hospital on March 17 but died three days later.

The inquest heard that Mr McFadden had been exposed to asbestos, which is strongly related to mesothelioma, during his working career as a plumber, joiner, window fixer and asbestos sheet fixer during the 1960s and 1970s.

Mr McFadden had been living independently until six weeks before his death, the inquest was told.

Cornwall Coroner Dr Emma Carlyon found that Mr McFadden died of a mesothelioma as the result of his asbestos exposure.

Dr Carlyon concluded that Mr McFadden died from an industrial disease.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES