Login Register

Family inhaled poisonous gas

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

Comments (0)

A NORTH Cornwall family who fell ill after they inhaled potentially deadly carbon monoxide in their home on Sunday morning were treated by paramedics.

The two adults and a child in a house near Bude were woken up at 6am when their carbon monoxide alarm sounded.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service rushed to West Beckon Close, Morwenstow, and paramedics were called to treat the occupants.

Lee Shelton and his partner Angela Taylor and a child had made their way out of the house and were sitting outside in their car.

The source of the carbon monoxide leak was removed and the house has been ventilated.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "At 06.07am this morning a call was received from a property whose carbon monoxide alarm was sounding and the occupants were reporting that they were feeling ill.

"Six firefighters from Bude were mobilised to the premises with a gas monitor.

"The gas monitor displayed a positive reading for carbon monoxide in the building and the source of the gas was isolated.

"Three casualties were treated on scene by paramedics and appropriate advice was given."

The Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service warns that carbon monoxide is potentially fatal and even low levels of the poison can cause lasting damage to health.

On average, carbon monoxide poisoning kills 40 people a year in the UK and injures around 300.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR