Login Register

Year without a league defeat for buoyant Bodmin

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 02, 2012

Comments (0)

SATURDAY'S 2-0 win at Cullompton Rangers not until maintained premier division champions Bodmin Town's unbeaten start to the season but it also means Darren Gilbert's men have now gone a year without tasting a top flight defeat.

Launceston were the last team to beat Bodmin, on October 29 last year. And they made sure of the amazing feat thanks to goals from Adam Carter and Chris Luxton at the weekend.

After hitting the woodwork through Olly Brokenshire and Steve Colwell in the first half, Bodmin led five minutes after the break.

Carter applied the finishing touch as he forced the ball home, despite the home side's protestations that he fouled goalkeeper Chris Garnsworthy.

And after the visitors were controversially awarded a penalty following a foul on Brokenshire, Luxton made sure of victory from the penalty spot.

Newquay continued their recent upturn in fortunes with a third straight league win, this time a 4-1 triumph at Bovey Tracey.

The Peppermints led on the stroke of half-time through Ashley Piggott's excellent curling free kick.

Bovey Tracey, on the back of three straight defeats, were level in the 70th minute through Hayden Roe's volley.

Ollie Deadman put Newquay back in front minutes later, before Danny Brook fired home his side's third goal.

Brook added a fourth with his second of the afternoon, before Bovey Tracey pulled a goal back through Jason Cordice.

Launceston maintained their lead at the top of the premier division table on Saturday thanks to a 2-0 win against St Blazey.

Despite a strong start from Bobby Oaten's men, the Green & Blacks fell behind to Dan Pethick's 22nd minute strike.

Clarets' goalkeeper Dan Stevenson had to be at his best to deny the prolific Lewis Coombes as he pushed away the striker's effort.

Launceston were dealt a blow early in the second half when Mark Reckless was taken to hospital after sustaining a head injury.

But that setback failed to knock the Clarets who scored a second goal through Sam Davey.

Saltash United ran out 3-0 winners at home to Tavistock thanks to goals from Dimitri Kanakh, Toby Clark and substitute Sam Hughes.

The Ashes couldn't have hoped for a better start after leading after just 42 seconds through Kanakh. The striker beat two Tavistock defenders before firing low past Lambs' goalkeeper Andy Meeds.

Clark was unlucky not to double United's lead when his header came back off the bar, while Matt Cusack was thwarted by a fine save from Meeds.

But there was nothing Meeds could do about Saltash's second. After the goalkeeper gave away a penalty, Clark made no mistake from the spot to put the Ashes 2-0 in front. Hughes then rounded off a good afternoon for Saltash when, after being played in by Kanakh, produced a cool finish.

Torpoint Athletic slumped to a third straight league defeat after they were beaten 3-0 by Ivybridge Town.

It might have been a different story had Dean Smith found the net when his drive was brilliantly tipped on to the bar by Town goalkeeper Josh Oak.

But after Shane White conceded a penalty following a trip on Steve Sutton, Todd Hanrahan's penalty put Ivybridge in the driving seat.


In the 70th minute Torpoint fell further behind when defender Mike Summers headed home a corner.

And after Torpoint's Darren Hicks saw his penalty saved, a miserable afternoon was compounded when striker Mike Scott made it 3-0 to Ivybridge.

On Friday night St Austell ran out 1-0 winners at Plymouth Parkway.

Josh Bragg claimed the only goal of the game, his 35th minute strike ending the Lillywhites' recent run of three straight league defeats.

In a very competitive encounter, Parkway, who had former St Austell player-manager Garry Penhaligon in goal, ended the game with ten men after Will Stringer was sent off.

And Penhaligon was at fault for St Austell's winner when he could only help on Bragg's free kick into the net.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters