Login Register

Duchy League review, Nov 23

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: November 23, 2012

  • St Merryn AFC: who play in Duchy League division five. Back row, from left: Connor Wilden, Craig Allen, Pete Elderfield, Jonny Elderfield, Ben Humber, Richard Farrant (manager), Ashley Rescorla and Lewis Lyndon. Front row: Josh Dark, Daniel O'Flynn, Matt Boylan, Kevin Allen, Richard Hughes, Chris Allen. by David Flower.

  • COLLISION COURSE: St Columb Major keeper Elliott Clarke and St Merryn's Kevin Allen keep their eyes on the ball but crash into each other very heavily. Clarke was injured for a while but continued after some attention. by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


Torpoint Athletic produced their best performance of the season with an emphatic five-goal defeat of St Columb Major in the Premier Division.

Byron Robbins scored a brace with Lewis Pacey, Graham O'Neil and Tom Smith also finding the net.

Saltash United scored from the kick off at St Cleer and added a second within five minutes. Jon Savigar pulled a goal back, but it was only a consolation as the home side folded like a pack of cards in the second half.

Saltash went on to win 11-1 with Lee Hawkins and Josh Fedrick both hitting hat tricks. Scott Summerfield and Lewis O'Rourke added a brace apiece with Tony Jane completing the rout.

Calstock put all their recent troubles behind them to secure a first win of the season and that despite trailing 2-0 at half time.

Calstock fought back strongly in the second half to beat Bodmin Saints 3-2 with Mike Brown scoring a brace and Richard Rouse adding their other goal.

Probus went down 1-0 at home to unbeaten Mevagissey with Charlie Prynn scoring the only goal in the first half.

Division One


First Division leaders Polperro suffered their first defeat of the season, going down 3-1 at home to Biscovey.

Polperro took a first half lead through Andy Cordner, but the visitors proved to be the better side after the break after Steve Mooney had drawn them level just before half time.

Martyn Jones put Biscovey ahead after the restart and Mooney scored his second late on.

Godolphin Atlantic closed in on the leaders with Steve Knowles scoring the only goal of their game with St Dominick.

Division Two


Padstow beat Lostwithiel 3-0 at Jury Park in a top of the table match which was a great advert for Division Two.

Padstow took the lead against the run of play after 20 minutes when Johnny Murt headed on a goal kick and Sean Blows got beyond his man and finished neatly.

This settled the home side and they started to play their passing game. They created three good chances but the finishing let them down. Then just before half time they increased there lead.

After good work down the right from Richie McOwen and Kyle Tippett the ball came to Harry H Calvesbert and his cross took a deflection off a defender which fell kindly to Kevin Murt who finished well.

Padstow finally added to the total after good interplay from the Murts and Johnny set up Kevin who finished well from just inside the box to make it 3-0.

With ten minutes to go Lostwithiel brought a great save from Simon Northcott in the Padstow goal when he pushed a great shot around the post. Referee Barry Allen had a first class game.

Sticker made the worst possible start, gifting Boscastle the opening goal with a poor back pass, which rebounded off the goalkeeper to Martin Seldon who slotted home.

Sticker looked lively and deservedly equalised when a fine through ball was coolly slotted home by Liam Andrews.

The home side moved in front shortly after the interval after Matt Searle was fouled and Dan Meens scored from the resultant penalty. Matthews, on his return from injury, volleyed home number three for Sticker.

Boscastle kept going and from a corner Nick Lawson headed in on the final whistle to reduce the arrears to 3-2.

North Petherwin took a first half lead against Lanreath and there was little sign at this time of what was to come.

In the second half Petherwin scored a second early, which caused the visitors to fold and concede nine without reply.

Ryan Julian and Callum Reeve scored a brace apiece with Kenny Channing, Joe Reeve, Tom Foulds, Dan Warring and Scott Baker completed the rout.

Gerrans & St Mawes United shared the point with Premier Sixes as the game ended in a 2-2 draw. Glyn Hitchings scored both home goals with Josh Mitchell and Martyn Probert replying for Sixes.

AFC Bodmin secured a fine win with Dexter Reeves and Andy Seymour scoring in the 2-0 defeat of Foxhole.

Division Three


St Stephen are a good young footballing side but they were beaten at their own game by a far superior St Minver as they went down 7-1 at home to the Division Three leaders.

St Stephen didn't help their own cause by conceding three early goals. The first within three minutes came when the keeper and defender did not deal with a long ball and Jason Northcott fell, but the ball hit his head and went in.

The second from a Ben Beesley speculative 40-yard shot that sailed over the keeper came six minutes later and Steve Wooton added a third on the quarter-hour.

St Stephen battled back with Ross Dunn hitting the bar and they held the visitors quite well for the rest of the half and the early stages of the second.

They then self-destructed, conceding three more quick goals from Dan Witts, Northcott and Corey Cleave.

Chris Kellow scored the goal-of-the-game for the consolation beating two defenders before dinking the ball over the keeper.

Joe Robinson had the final say with the visitors' seventh.

Division Four


North Hill stay clear at the top of Division Four after defeating Gunnislake reserves 2-0.

Jason Ridgment and Greg Hutchings scored the goals in a good game where the visiting side gave a good account of themselves.

John McAvoy gave Mevagissey reserves the lead at home to St Neot and went on to complete a hat-trick within three minutes of the start of the second half.

Adam King scored for St Neot in the 34th minute and they were right back in an entertaining game when Adam King scored their second from the penalty spot in the 62nd minute.

Mevagissey battled on a secured a 4-2 victory right at the end when Nathan Ball scored.

Wadebridge Town played the football but found themselves muscled out of the game as visitors Grampound reserves won 4-1.

Grampound took the lead when a Matt Skews free kick eluded everyone and went in off a post.

Wadebridge had the majority of play, but found the Grampound defence a tough nut to crack and they then conceded a second on the half hour with a neat Rob Sharpe finish. Richard Dunstan pulled a goal back before the break, but two further Sharpe goals gave Grampound the points.

He got on the end of a cross and scored his hat trick goal shortly after when the keeper dropped the ball and he forced it home.

Gorran were in control, 3-0 up at half-time, at home to Pensilva reserves, but had to endure a second half fightback before winning 6-3.

Tom Ward scored a brace with Mike Brennan, Glen Littlejohns, Dave Jones and Jack Bray-Smith completing the home tally.

Aden Cole scored a second half brace for Pensilva, one from the spot with Aaron Lane also finding the target.

Division Five


St Columb Major reserves edged a closely fought match between two of the Division Five promotion hopefuls when Ollie Kernick scored the only goal of the game on the half hour against St Merryn.

This was a very even match that could have gone either way.

Southgate switched their match to St Minver with their own pitch waterlogged and took a tenth minute lead through Dan Gregory.

St Minver hit back and secured a 1-1 draw when Brian Kelly hit a screaming free kick into the net on his debut.

Altarnun reserves started well at home to North Petherwin reserves and took the lead through Scott Taskis.

North Petherwin pulled a goal back, but the hosts were still creating plenty of chances.

However, once Petherwin went ahead the hosts fell apart and lost 7-2. Andi Sleeman scored four goals and Paul Penny added a hat trick for the visitors with Jools Baxter claiming the other home consolation.

Veryan won 5-0 at Boscastle reserves. Charlie Mooney starred with a hat trick with further goals coming from a Justin Trebilcock brace.

St Mawgan reserves were below strength for their home match with Pelynt reserves. They led by two, were brought back to 2-2, only to take the lead again, but concede a late equaliser in a 3-3 draw.

Kevin Pearce, Jamie Lawrence and Matt Lamb scored for St Mawgan with Alex Rice, Chris Reade and Nathan Smallman replying.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters