Login Register

Duchy Football League round-up, April 3

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: April 03, 2013

THREE'S A CROWD: St Austell defenders clear the ball en mass against Illogan RBL during Monday's Cornwall Junior Cup final at Saltash. Match report, Page 89. by Mike Cox.

Comments (0)

League Cup


AFC Bodmin have set up a Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup quarter-final at St Minver after winning a second round tie at North Petherwin 2-1.

Dan Hadley put the visitors ahead on the stroke of half time, but within seconds of the restart Ryan Julian equalised. The home side were still celebrating when Bodmin went up to the other end and Dan Haggett scored what proved to be the winner.

Premier Division


Saltash United stay top of the Premier Division after a fine goalless draw at third placed Fowey United.

But both clubs will realise that this result will make AFC St Austell, who were sitting out the day awaiting the Cornwall Junior Cup final, even firmer favourites to take the title.

Saltash lead by two points but have played four more games.

Mevagissey suffered a major setback in their hopes of finishing in the top three after a 4-1 defeat at Torpoint Athletic.

They had a good start with Adam Trudgeon giving them a 21st minute lead. Torpoint equalised four minutes later when a free kick was parried by the Meva keeper into the path of Luke Gibbons.

In the 29th minute Graham O'Neill rounded the keeper and fired high into the net to give Torpoint the lead and four minutes later Zak Pearce doubled their advantage.

There was no further scoring until five minutes from time when Lawrence Murray scored the hosts' fourth.

Lamerton pushed Probus closer to the drop after their 2-0 home win. Jamie Montgomery, with a first goal of the season, and Kevin Pethick were the scorers.

St Mawgan edged a little closer to safety after picking up a point from a 2-2 home draw with St Columb Major.

Steve Grocock and an own goal for St Mawgan, with Dom Roberts, returning to Major after a brief spell at Godolphin, getting both visiting goals.

Calstock secured a first win of the season to lift some of the gloom at the club and it was a fine win 3-1 against St Newlyn East. Phillips scored a brace with Chris Montell also on target.

Division One


Leaders Biscovey's five-match unbeaten run came to an end against bogey side Altarnun, who earned a 2-0 victory.

Playing against a strong wind in the first half Biscovey mainly dominated play, but found a resolute opponent that challenged for every ball. Although Biscovey created chances the half ended goalless and with the home side getting frustrated the visitors grew in confidence.

Biscovey cleared off their line and thought the ball had gone for a throw in, but the referee awarded a corner and with the home side sleeping Danny Moore quickly recognised they were switched off and gave Altarnun the lead.

Biscovey pushed for an equaliser, but they were then caught by a sucker punch. Walter Medlicott mis-hit a cross, which the keeper thought was going past the post, but instead it clipped the outside of the woodwork and went into the goal to give Altarnun a 2-0 win.

Pensilva were the big winners of the day in the promotion race after beating second-placed Polperro 2-1.

Zak Peel opened the scoring with a neat lob after five minutes, but on the half hour Dan Ball caught out the home keeper with a cross that went in and Polperro were level.

Pensilva regained the lead with a tidy finish from Peel four minutes from half time and had much the better of the second half without being able to hit the target.

Polperro could have had a late equaliser when awarded a penalty, but home keeper Richard Rendle made a spectacular save.

Joe White scored a goal 15 minutes from time to give Pelynt the win in an evenly fought game on a difficult surface at Grampound.

Grampound had a couple of good chances in the first half, but again failed to convert. Pelynt came more into the game after the break and stay in the promotion hunt following their late winner.

Gunnislake are making a determined effort to avoid relegation after a 3-2 win at Maker with Rame gave them a second consecutive win.

Harry Southcott scored a brace with Dean Southcott completing the visitors' tally while Justin Tremayne and Neil Williams replied for Maker.

Division Two


Lanreath belied their bottom placing in Division Two with a determined effort despite losing 2-1 after playing three-quarters of the game at Sticker with ten men.

Sticker opened brightly and looked the most likely to score in the opening period. However, it was the visitors who took the lead when a speculative shot from James Barrett caught Richard Osborne in the home goal off his line and the ball sailed over his head and into the net.

Lanreath were reduced to ten men when a player was sent off for dissent. The numeral advantage gave Sticker the edge and Alex Keast equalised with a smart shot from just inside the area.

After the break Sticker attacked at will but Tristan Gillett in the visitors' goal made a number of smart saves to keep the scores level.

Eventually after sustained pressure Keast added his and Sticker's second with sweet left foot volley to give Sticker a 2-1 win.

Lostwithiel pulled to within three points of the leaders with James Hutchings netting a brace in their 4-0 defeat of Queens Rangers. Chris Chandler and Ryan Searle were the other scorers.

Division Three


St Minver had to fight back after half time to maintain their unbeaten record in Division Three finally beating Lanivet Inn 4-2.

Lanivet played well and made it difficult for the leaders for the whole game. They certainly deserved to be winning at half-time Dan Jennings scoring a brace and Jason Northcott replying to make it 2-1 at half time. St Minver did not look like the team that is still unbeaten and top of the league at this stage. Richard Simmons drew the teams level with a glorious 30-yard volley slotted in the top corner.

St Minver went ahead with a penalty from Jason Northcott followed by a tremendous strike by Joe Robison who screamed a low ball in to the bottom corner sealing the points.

LC Phoenix are certainly putting on the pressure at the top as they crushed Callington Town 9-1. Harry Marsh hit a hat-trick and Nathan Cox added a brace in a stunning performance. The other home goals were shared by at Davis, Matt Brookes, Shaun Cox and Ryan Cox with Martin Hunn claiming the Callington consolation goal.

Holywell/Cubert Athletic were in prolific form thrashing a below strength Tregony side 11-2.

It was very much one-way traffic with Aaron Murphy netting a hat trick. Simon Holmes and James Nettleton bagged a brace apiece with Will Hargreaves, Joel Carhart, Lachlan Brace and Josh Busby completing the rout.

Tregony replied through Davey and Andy Barnes.

St Stephen overcame Delabole United 3-1. Matt Spry fashioned a few chances in the first half, which he couldn't finish, but when put through by Rodney Rickard, Spry finally broke the deadlock.

St Stephen upped their game after the break, missing a few more chances before a Dean Yelland goal settled them down.

They were in little trouble until 15 minutes from time when Delabole pulled a goal back with their first real chance put away by Steve Terry.

St Stephen were a little unsettled by this setback, but regained their composure and after a fine interlinking move down the left Spry got on the end to score their third.

Roche moved closer to the drop after losing 2-0 at home to Stoke Climsland. Ryan Allen scored for Stoke with their other goal being an own goal.

Division Four


St Neot moved closer to promotion from Division Four after beating St Teath 5-1.

Adam Gregory scored a brace with Dan Chapman and Ryan Chapman adding further goals. Nathan Berry completed their total from the penalty spot but also missed another spot kick. Dan Edwards replied for St Teath.

North Hill maintained their goal difference advantage at the top with a 4-0 win at Wadebridge Town. Jason Ridgment hit a brace with Talisker Donahue and James Bloomfield adding a goal apiece.

Mevagissey reserves beat Grampound reserves 5-1. The game was effectively over at half time with the hosts three goals to the good.

Richard James hit a hat trick with Dan Bray and Ryan Morcom completing the home tally. However, the goal of the game was the visitors' consolation scored by Josh Sharpe.

Gorran haven't given up on promotion after their 3-1 win at Gunnislake reserves. Jack Bray-Smith scored a brace with his brother Tom getting their other goal in his first game of the season. The home goal came by way of an own goal.

Division Five


The bottom two both picked up some points in Division Five. Boscastle reserves jumped out of the re-election places after a Sam Haddy goal gave them a lone goal win over Tregrehan Mills.

Duke of Cornwall stay rooted to the bottom but at least they can celebrate a point from a 1-1 draw with St Mawgan reserves. Ben Nagle scored for the Duke with Darren Allum replying from the penalty spot.

Southgate Seniors moved up to fifth after a 4-0 win at Pelynt reserves. Tom Wyman scored a brace with Darren Heywood and Nathan Farrar adding further goals.

Veryan are in touching distance of the championship after a 9-1 away hammering of St Newlyn East reserves. Justin Trebilcock scored a hat trick with Ollie Young adding a brace. The visitors' total was completed by goals from Simon Matthews, Martin Bishop, Toby Robinson and Matt Dixon.

The home consolation came from Joss Geach.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters