Login Register

Duchy Football League review, April 24

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: April 24, 2013

Comments (0)

League Cup


St Merryn have reached the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup final after defeating Gerrans & St Mawes United 6-3 on aggregate in the semi-finals.

Three up from the away leg, St Merryn stretched their lead to five with two goals in the opening 20 minutes.

Gerrans rallied and fought back to draw level before half time. A third goal after the break gave the visitors hope of staging an incredible comeback, but St Merryn held firm and equalised on the day just before the end.

Mike Shearer scored a brace for St Merryn with Kevin Allen also on target. The Gerrans goals were scored by Joao Goncalves, Haydn Andrew and Charlie Andrew.

The second semi-final featured the teams at the top of Division Two and Three. A tense first leg at Jury Park saw Padstow take a two goal advantage into next week's second leg against St Minver.

Neither team gave much away in the opening exchanges as they cancelled each other out.

Padstow looked have opened the scoring when Kyle Tippet turned Dayll Beesley and his pass fell to Johnny Murt who put the ball into the net but the goal was disallowed as the referee blew for a foul against Tippett.

Padstow then had a penalty claim turned down after Dan Haynes handled the ball in the box but the referee turned the appeals down.

A free kick on the right for Padstow was put into the box by Tom Hull and there was Cameron Wickins to put the home side in front. Padstow had another opportunity to increase their lead when Jake Charles crossed from the right and Johnny Murt's header narrowly went wide with the goalkeeper stranded.

St Minver came out in the second half with a change of formation and had their best spell for 10-15 minutes without really threatening the Padstow goal.

Padstow came back into the game and looked threatening at times and should have increased their lead when Danny Jobson found himself unmarked in a goalmouth scramble but he put the ball over the bar with an empty net in front of him.

After 70 minutes Rob Rowe was brought down just outside of the box and Kyle Tippets free kick was only parried away by the St Minver keeper and Danny Jobson reacted the quickest and coolly placed the ball into the net from a tight angle.

This lifted Padstow and they went looking for a third but all their efforts came to nothing.

Premier Division


AFC St Austell, after losing their treble hopes following defeat to St Newlyn East in the KO Cup on Thursday, are back on top of the Premier Division following an 8-1 win at Calstock.

The home team were never in the hunt as Darren Roose scored a hat trick and Nick Bennett, Dave Kitson, Phil Hutchings. Jeff Dillon and Neil Ham all scored once. Richard Rouse claimed the home consolation.

Mevagissey have surely ended Saltash United's title ambitions after winning a cracking game 4-3.

Mevagissey were four up before facing a determined fight back by the visitors. Chris Dingle and Adam Trudgeon scored a brace apiece within the opening 50 minutes.

Tony Jane started the comeback with a brace of his own and when Bruce Campbell conceded an own goal in the 87th minute a draw looked a possible outcome, but Mevagissey held out.

Fowey United also suffered a further setback in their hopes of retaining the title when held 1-1 at home by Lamerton. Sam Marchant scored for Fowey with Kevin Pethick replying for Lamerton.

St Newlyn East are the form team and continued their remarkable run with a 3-0 defeat of St Columb Major. Liam Dent scored a brace with Mickey Thompson adding a further goal.

St Mawgan beat Torpoint Athletic 3-2 to move a step nearer saving their place in the premier division.

Sean Lambart scored a brace with the other goal coning from a Torpoint defender. The visitors replied with goals from Zak Pearce and Luke Gibbons.

Division One


Week St Mary remain in relegation trouble in Division One after a 2-1 loss at St Dominick.

This was an evenly contested game, but the player that made the difference was St Dominick midfielder Stephen Paull who set up both goals for Lee Hawkins and Jon Savigar.

There was also praise for young referee Paul Morris who showed great promise for the future after a fine performance.

Polperro are putting in a poor finish and have now been leapfrogged for second place by Pelynt after the visitors won 2-0 with Tom Whitebrook and Liam Jones hitting the net.

Two teams who struggle to score met at Altarnun where both keepers denied the hosts and visitors Grampound of possible goals. The game was scrappy but when the only goal came it followed a great move as Danny Moore passed to Walter Medlicott and he in turn put Stuart Cole through for a fine goal for Altarnun.

Looe Town pushed Gunnislake closer to the drop with a 4-0 win. Chris Sykes scored a brace with Matt Barton and Robbie Spencer adding a goal apiece.

Division Two


Lostwithiel had a last game shoot out with North Petherwin knowing they needed a win to secure runners-up in Division Two.

James Hutchings scored the only goal for Lostwithiel early in the second half, but the celebrations were marred by player-manager Graham Rule having to go to hospital after falling awkwardly on his arm.

Lanreath are all but relegated after succumbing to a 6-2 home defeat by Foxhole where they were hit by a Sam Leaney five timer.

Jamie Robinson was the other scorer with Andy Livingstone and James Barrett replying.

Queens Rangers earned a point from a 1-1 draw at Boscastle, but still remain next to bottom. Rob Hambly was the Rangers scorer with Henry Bright on target for Boscastle.

Sticker drop to fifth following their 3-2 home defeat to Premier Sixes. Martin Matthews and Jack Smith-Brokenshire scored for Sticker, but a Martyn Probert brace and a Dan Parsonage goal gave Sixes the spoils.

Division Three


Roche are not giving in without a fight as they try to retrieve a virtually impossible position in Division Three.

They earned a 3-3 draw at St Stephen when up against it for much of the match. They opened the scoring from a Malcolm Thomas goal with the referee ignoring an offside flag.

Roche then increased the lead when Jordan Harry got on the end of a corner. St Stephen were not playing well, but gained a lifeline when a free kick on the edge of the area from James Allen was deflected in by Matt Spry.

Roche scored another controversial goal before half time with the home linesman flagging for a handball for Saints, but the kick was awarded to Roche and Craig Tamblyn scored.

St Stephen then went down to ten men when Matthew Grigg was sent off after a lunging tackle, which highlighted his frustration.

Despite all these problems St Stephen were well on top and Spry scored his second with a classy overhead, and then after a second penalty shout was awarded, Jason Prynne equalized from the spot.

With St Minver in cup action, LC Phoenix claimed top spot after a 5-3 success at Camelford. Harry Marsh and Glen Coles scored a brace apiece with Shaun Cox completing their tally. Spirited Camelford replied through Dan Piper, Joel Hutchings and an own goal.

Welcome Inn put an end to an indifferent spell of results beating Delabole United 2-0. Neil White and Tom Pickering were the scorers.

Lanivet Inn beat Callington Town 4-2. Cody Armstrong and Chris Jennings both found the target twice with Kieran Prescott and Will Smith replying.

Division Four


North Hill took a giant stride to the Division Four championship after gaining a 3-2 win at the dangerous Gorran.

Jason Ridgment scored a brace with James Wilson completing the visitors' scoring. Gorran replied through Jack Bray-Smith and Dan Vine. Pensilva reserves won 2-1 at Gunnislake reserves. They were the stronger side throughout and Nathan Deighton gave them the lead midway through the first half.

A lapse of concentration allowed Glen Tremblett to equalise 20 minutes from time, but Pensilva quickly regained the composure and Jacob England chipped the keeper for the winner.

A dramatic game at Mevagissey reserves saw the home side beat Tintagel 3-2. Joel Oliver put Tintagel ahead with Dan Brady equalising on 45 minutes.

The game had an amazing conclusion with the visitors being reduced to nine men and Ryan Lavery in the 84th minute and Jack Young in the 87th minute putting Meva 3-1 up. Tintagel had the last word with an 89th minute Adam Wright goal.

Division Five


Player-manager Gary Wheildon scored a brace with Justin Trebilcock adding their other goal as Veryan clinched the Division Five title with a 3-0 win over North Petherwin Reserves.

Veryan won it with three games to spare and received the trophy after the game from League chairman Colin Burrell.

St Columb Major reserves closed in on the runners up spot after a comfortable 5-0 win over fourth placed St Minver reserves.

Josh Turner scored a brace with Luke Worrall, Jamie Tipton and Dean Dingle adding a goal apiece.

Southgate Seniors won 5-0 at home to St Newlyn East reserves. Tom Wyman scored a brace with Jamie Holden, Darren Gregory and Dan Gerry completing their tally.

Boscastle reserves were held 2-2 by Duke of Cornwall. Dean Favreau scored both home goals with Nagle replying with a brace.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters