USED condoms and human waste were left behind by revellers who set up an illegal rave on a protected Newquay headland.
The ravers ripped a wooden post out of the ground – used to block the entrance to the quarry at East Pentire Headland – before setting up speakers and scaffolding on Saturday evening.
The culprits played loud music and partied through the night before the remaining ten people were escorted off the site by police at 9.15am the next morning.
Vehicles have churned up parts of the headland while fires have destroyed areas of grass.
Residents say they are outraged at the destruction.
One man, who asked not to be named, said it was believed that a piano had been burnt in the fire.
He said there were door hinges and screws laying around and even "used condoms".
The revellers have caused uproar among East Pentire Action Group, whose campaigners won an 18-month battle to have Pentire headland officially registered as a protected town green in December 2010.
As part of its new status, anyone caught damaging the area can, legally, be hauled in front of magistrates by just a single resident.
Chairman of the group, Mervyn Mitchell, said: "There is much damage from trucks to the grass. The area of the rave is disgusting."
He said the quarry had been used as a toilet.
Joanna Kenny, Cornwall councillor for Newquay Pentire, said she is requesting that the council and police pursue a criminal prosecution.
"Not only is damaging a green a criminal offence, but so is deliberately destroying council property so they can trespass onto the green.
"The entrance is blocked by a locked post to allow access to the emergency services.
"I am hoping that the vehicles involved can be identified from the witnesses' photographs.
"My thanks to the East Pentire Action Group who removed wood and metal.
"In a dry season this (the fires) could have resulted in a major gorse fire.
"My understanding is that along with the blaring music, which would have been clearly audible on the other side of Crantock Bay in West Pentire, a covered scaffolding site was set up – you can clearly see the squashed grass where this was mounted – and the remains of the fires."
The police say they are taking the incident seriously and are appealing for witnesses to come forward with information.
Detective Ian Drummond-Smith said: "We first got a call at 8.50am, Sunday morning. We arrived at 9.15am.
"There were no witnesses and no CCTV so it is impossible to prove who was responsible for the damage."
Anyone with information as to who caused the damage is asked to call the police on 101, quoting reference 291 26/8/12.
Cornwall Council, who own the quarry, said officers had also been working to make the site secure.
The East Pentire Action Group is to liaise with Cornwall Council to help set up a group to clear the over-grown paths.
It hopes to create secluded areas to encourage wildlife on the headland and obliterate the vandals' efforts.
The work, under the supervision of Cornwall Council, will be carried out during the autumn and winter, and is expected to be a few hours' activity at weekends, with volunteers using secateurs.
Contact Mervyn Mitchell – 01637 850841 or e-mail email@example.com to add your name to the list.