Login Register

Delabole teenager bit into life-threatening Tesco doughnut

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: February 27, 2013

SHOCK FIND:  Mum Sharon Cousens with the pack of chocolate doughnuts labelled as jam-filled – a potentially deadly mistake for her son who has an allergic reaction to milk products.

SHOCK FIND: Mum Sharon Cousens with the pack of chocolate doughnuts labelled as jam-filled – a potentially deadly mistake for her son who has an allergic reaction to milk products.

Comments (0)

A TEENAGER who bit into a doughnut could have died after it was incorrectly labelled by Tesco.

The 13-year-old suffers from a life-threatening allergic reaction to milk products and bit into what he thought was a jam doughnut, but instead he found it was filled with chocolate.

The cakes came from Tesco's store in Wadebridge as part of a home delivery to the Delabole home of the Cousens family.

Quick thinking by the teenager's mum, Sharon, who administered the correct medicine, prevented her son being rushed to hospital.

Tesco have now launched an investigation into how the doughnuts were mislabelled.

Mrs Cousens said: "The pack was clearly labelled as being jam doughnuts, but when my son bit into one, he spat it out right away, saying the jam had gone off.

"He has suffered from anaphylaxis since he was three months old, so we are very careful about what he eats, and so is he.

"He'd only taken one bite when his lips started to tingle and puff up, and then we discovered there wasn't jam in the doughnut, but instead it was full of chocolate sauce.

"We keep Piriton, an anti-histamine medicine, in the house for just such an emergency and it prevented my son from having a full-blown attack, and a trip to hospital.

"Biting into that doughnut could have been life threatening for my son.

"We are always extremely careful about what he eats, and we always check the labelling to see exactly what is in the food we give him, because he has a condition where he could die if he eats anything containing milk products.

"He's grown up with the allergy, so is very aware of what he can eat – but what can you do when Tesco label something as one thing and it is something else altogether?

"I'm very angry about it.''

The incident happened on Sunday afternoon.

And despite numerous calls to Tesco, Mrs Cousens said she had not received a satisfactory reply by Monday night. The Cornish Guardian contacted Tesco head office which said it was launching an investigation into the mislabelling of the doughnuts bought at its Wadebridge store.

A Tesco spokesperson said: "We are urgently trying to contact our customer so we can apologise to her and her son.

"We take issues like this extremely seriously and will be conducting a thorough investigation into how this happened."

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES