Login Register
 °

'Death trap' eyesore faces demolition

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: March 06, 2013

  • BIG PLANS: Tom Carr and Richard Pearce at the derelict Cedars Hotel.

  • Tom carr and Richard pearce looks at the plans for the new development at the cedars hotel newquay.BOTB20130225A-003_C.jpg

  • Tom carr and Richard pearce looks at the plans for the new development at the cedars hotel newquay.BOTB20130225A-002_C.jpg

Comments (1)

ONE of Newquay's worst eyesores could be demolished in around eight weeks' time as part of a £3 million development of the site, the Cornish Guardian can reveal.

Developers Verto Group will submit a full planning application to transform the former derelict Cedars Hotel into 13 townhouses to Cornwall Council on Monday.

Directors Richard Pearce, 29, and Tom Carr, 28, of the London-based firm behind previous successful developments at both Mount Wise and of the old Penhallow Hotel, say as soon as planning permission is granted for the site, they will have it demolished.

The pair have exchanged contracts with the current owners of the hotel, at the junction between Mount Wise and St George's Road, and are hoping to have completed the purchase by the end of the month.

It is hoped the development will be completed in around 18 months' time.

Mr Pearce said there was already planning permission on the site for 35 residential flats, but that his firm felt the townhouses will be "more suitable" for Newquay.

He said: "There is an oversaturation in Newquay of flats. The townhouses will bring character to the road."

He said of the site: "It is just a mess. There has been fly-tipping. There is obvious evidence of drug abuse inside. We want to get the whole thing flattened so we can start again, realistically within eight weeks."

The Cornish Guardian previously reported that travellers had set up home on the site, which has been deemed unsafe and been dubbed a 'death trap' by neighbours.

The Verto Group's ambitious plans would see the site transformed into 13 three-storey, three-bedroomed homes.

Newquay central Cornwall councillor Geoff Brown said: "I am confident that the Verto group ... will make a good job of converting this eyesore into a much needed and attractive development of houses."

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • shagrats  |  March 06 2013, 12:49PM

    Please please please, can you make sure the people who buy these places know nothing about Newquays party reputation and let them think that in fact they will be buying a "townhouse" in a quiet cornish family orientated resort. I absolutely love to hear people get all bent out of shape when they realise they have moved from up contry into their idea of a living hell of drunken revelry and "Marquis de Sade" morals.

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES