Login Register

Duchy Football League review, October 5

By Cornish Guardian  |  Posted: October 05, 2012

North Petherwin: who went joint top of division two on Saturday. Back row, from left: Callam Reeve, Adam Nelson, Joe Reeve, Wayne Basford, Andrew Butler, Kenny Channing and Andrew Sleeman (club official). Front: Simon Oliver, Jimmy Werren, Adam Faulkner, Ryan Julian. Dan Warring (club official) and Andy Penn. Missing from photoshoot: Nick Jeffery (coach). by David Flower.

Comments (0)

Premier Division


A Martin Davy hat-trick sunk reigning Premier Division champions Fowey United as Mevagissey won 3-1.

The visitors took the lead on the half hour after a beautifully flighted corner was headed home by Mark Smith. Mevagissey hit back when a Chris Dingle throw-in found Davy and he back headed into the goal.

The same two combined for the second with Dingle's corner being headed home by Davy.

The hat-trick goal settled the game and Fowey were reduced to ten men by a dismissal, which put the result beyond doubt.

Bodmin Saints opened their account for the season with a 6-2 win over St Mawgan.

The game was evenly poised at 2-2 when the home keeper made a terrific save and his team pushed on from there to complete a fine win.

Dave Crawford and man-of-the-match Ryan Butler scored a brace apiece with Matt Doney and Simon Harper completing the home scoring. Shaun German was also in inspired form for the home side.

Probus move up to second place after a Ross Vicary hat-trick gave them a comfortable 3-0 win at St Cleer.

Lamerton and St Columb Major fought out a 2-2 draw. Paul Breyley and Richard Searle scored for Lamerton with Jamie Seery and Matt Jones replying.

Division One


Pelynt bounced back from a bad home defeat last week to win their Division One match at St Dominick 4-0.

The scoreline rather flattered the visitors although they were deserved winners and their clinical play when the home defence made mistakes was the deciding factor.

Liam Jones scored a brace with Ali Carter and Tom Whitebrook completing the scoring, but three of those goals were gifted by home errors.

Pensilva won 4-2 at Biscovey despite being reduced to nine men by the end of the game.

The first half was evenly fought with Marc Tuck giving the visitors a 25th minute lead. The game ebbed and flowed with Martyn Jones equalising just before the break.


Jack Podmore restored the visitors' lead with a fine volley at the back post, but with Biscovey pushing forward looking for an equaliser a home player was held back in the box and Biscovey were awarded a penalty and Pensilva suffered their first dismissal.

Nick Isbell stroked home the leveller from the spot.

Biscovey lost a little discipline searching for the winner and fell behind again when their keeper missed a punch and Podmore punished them with a goal.

Three minutes from time Podmore's good day was ruined, as he became the second visitor to be sent off, a little harshly this time.

Biscovey pushed for the equaliser, but were caught on the break in the 89th minute and Jon Filbey put the game out of reach.

St Dennis and Looe Town drew 2-2. St Dennis scored through Paul Rowe and an own goal with Looe replying with strikes from Matt Barton and Robbie Spencer.

Grampound have had a disappointing start in the league so will be delighted to pick up their first points after a stunning 5-0 victory at Week St Mary.

Shane Weeks scored a brace with Peter Thomas, Lee Budge and Martin Lloyd completing the rout.

Division Two


North Petherwin take over joint top of Division Two with two other sides after a 2-1 success at St Breward.

They took the lead after a spell of good football with Joe Reeve supplying the finish. St Breward hit back and were awarded a penalty, which Ben Jarram converted to take them into the break on level terms.

The second half flowed with both sides looking threatening, but Andy Penn secured the points for the visitors with a goal 15 minutes from the end.

A great performance from the home side saw Padstow United destroy Premier Sixes 13-1.

Padstow, leading 3-1 at half-time through goals from Kyle Tippett (2) and Jon Murt with a goal in reply for Sixes from Martin Probert, dominated the first half with both teams trying to play football on a good surface.

Sixes came out at the second half and could have pulled a couple back had it not been for some good defending from Jack Charles and Jason Olivey.

Padstow then scored three quick goals with Murt, one an unstoppable shot from 15 yards, and Tippett completing their hat-tricks.

The home side were now in complete control with further goals coming from Richie McOwen, Sean Blows (2) and Russell McOwen before Tippett grabbed his fourth and Murt adding two more to complete the scoring.

To their credit, Sixes kept playing and never gave up.

Padstow go joint top, but take the summit on goal difference after this staggering win.

Foxhole Stars are joint top with North Petherwin after a 3-1 win at Queens Rangers.

Tom Grylls, Jamie Robinson and Tommy Hicks scored their goals with Rob Hambly getting the home consolation.

A second win in successive weeks for Gerrans & St Mawes United as they beat Boscastle 2-1. Chris Thomas and Glyn Hitchings scored for Gerrans with Martin Seldon replying.

Division Three


St Minver won the big game at the top of Division Three and leapfrog Stoke Climsland to the top after a 3-1 success.

The home keeper saved a penalty in the first half and the game was evenly balanced at 1-1 with seven minutes remaining.

Ryan Allen had scored the goal to keep Stoke in the contest, but eventually St Minver broke their rivals down and went ahead late in the game. A cracking shot for the third sealed the victory.

Delabole conceded a couple of late goals, but overall were good value for a 5-3 win over Calstock reserves.

Mac Irwin and Ashley Morris scored a brace apiece for the hosts with Aaron Arnold adding a superb goal of his own. Calstock replied through Chris Bruton, Barry Hemmett and an own goal.

Tregony secured a comfortable 4-0 win over Camelford. Aaron Davey scored a brace with Kieran Davey and Andy Barnes also finding the target.

Lanivet Inn have virtually had to rebuild their team after a disappointing start to the season, but they hope to be more competitive in future weeks.

A 3-1 home defeat by Welcome Inn was not a disaster as they take the hard climb back. New signing Sam Goodswen scored for Lanivet, their first goal of the new campaign.

But Welcome took the points with a Tom Pickering brace and a Neil White goal.

Division Four


Tintagel maintained their unbeaten start in Division Four with a 5-3 defeat of St Teath with Shaun Keeble striking a hat trick.

Martyn Cockcroft and Ryan Holland completed the home total. St Teath, who remain bottom, replied with a brace from Dan Edwards and a Dan Skinner goal.

St Neot won 4-2 at Pensilva reserves. Dan Chapman put the visitors ahead with Adam Gregory scoring the first of a hat-trick before half-time to double the lead.

Gregory increased the visitors' advantage after the restart before Aaron Lane came off the bench to pull one back.

Gregory completed his hat-trick to put St Neot out of sight, but Ian Littlewood had the final say for the home team with their second goal.

Grampound reserves and Mevagissey reserves fought out a goalless stalemate. Mevagissey had more possession in the first half, but the home side defended well and stopped any real chances being created.

Grampound were more in the game after the break with Daley McErlain being denied. Mevagissey were most threatening from set pieces and they forced Ryan Henderson into a fine save from one of those.

Leaders Torpoint Comrades were held to a 3-3 draw by impressive Gorran in a thriller.

Torpoint had Gorran on the back foot immediately, and they went ahead with a penalty after a foul by Guy Widows.

However, Gorran fought back hard and prolific scorer Jack Bray Smith popped up to equalise.

Shortly afterwards Gorran central midfielder Mike Brennan scored a contender for goal of the season as he hit an absolute screamer from about 40 yards which nestled into the top corner of the net.

But the Gorran celebrations did not make it to half time as an own goal sent the sides in 2-2 at the break.

Gorran started the strongest in the second half, they dominated possession and it eventually paid off.

From defending their own corner, James Tomlinson followed the ball out to the right, looked up and put in a delightful ball over the top for Bray Smith to run on to and complete his third brace in three games.

Unfortunately for Gorran they could not hold on to their advantage and the Comrades headed in an equaliser just a few minutes later.

Division Five


North Petherwin reserves continued their good start in Division Five with a 4-1 defeat of Boscastle reserves with Sam Stockdale scoring a brace.

Adie Heal and Paul Penny were the other home scorers with Neville Turner getting the visitors' consolation.

Tregrehan Mills started brightly at St Columb Major reserves with Diogo Reis giving them an early lead with a well-placed shot.

St Columb battled back in the game and gained some ascendancy with Ryan Worrall equalising from a 25-yard shot. The hosts were then awarded a fortunate penalty, which Luke Worrall put away to give them the lead.

Tregrehan dominated the second half, but saw a shot cleared off the line and they missed two one on one chances as Major held out for a 2-1 victory.

Altarnun reserves recorded their first win since their return to the league with two late goals giving them a 3-1 win at St Minver reserves.

Jack Whirehouse scored a brace with Jimmy Miles getting the other visiting goal and Shaun Cunningham claiming the home consolation.

Southgate were 3-1 winners over St Mawgan reserves. Tom Wyman, Dan Gregory and Jamie Holden scored for Southgate with Darren Allum getting the St Mawgan consolation goal.

League Cup


St Merryn caused an upset in a first round Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup tie by toppling previously unbeaten St Stephen from two divisions higher 5-3.

An entertaining and sporting contest saw the visitors' Matt Spry hit a hat-trick, but it was the home team that progressed with goals from Josh Dark, Danny O'Flynn, Connor Wilden and a Kevin Allen brace.

There was also an upset in the other tie of the day where Division Five side Veryan won 4-2 at Lifton after extra time. The game had closed at 2-2 at 90 minutes.

Fixtures & tables, Pages 100-01.

Read more from Cornish Guardian

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters